Magnet Links are Broken

• Since last update Magnet link are not working. (Torrrent) #windows

@magsen Chromium broke it. They have to fix it.

• not only magnet but all outer program links, origin too

• Magnet links broken, adblocking is broken as well in the latest snapshot...

alt text

I'm rolling back three or four updates because the latest ones are pretty much useless.

• All is broken!!! Orgin link, discord links(invite), magnet. WTF? I am doubt it's chromium -_-

• @witcher Can't say ad-blocking is broken, seeing that Ublock Origin works fine for me.

As has been said, the problem is with Chromium 64, which Vivaldi is based on. Once the Chromium devs have fixed the issue and Vivaldi picks up on it, then it'll be fixed.

Saying that, I do think Vivaldi was a bit too quick in making 1.14 a stable build.

Please discuss only magnet links broken here!

For broken extensions open a separate thread!

• Magnet link is broken here, too, Quite annoying. This version should definitely not be marked stable. But there is hope, you can downgrade to previous version on
    https://vivaldi.com/download/archive/win

Enjoy

@linfan Vivaldi cannot decline to release a new stable version just because Chromium broke something which will not be fixed by them (Chromium) for several weeks. It is imperative, if for security reasons only, that Vivaldi's release schedule try to stay current with the release schedule of its underlying engine.

• Does not work in windows 1.15.1089.3 (Officiell version) (64 bitar) either. Javascript appears to be set correctly in default preferences ("javascript":true,"magnet":false,), so It should not be related to javascript, prolly something else.

YES. It is a bug in all current Vivaldi Stable and Snapsot on all OS.
    All links like ZZZZZ:YYYYYYYYYYY or ZZZZZ://YYYYYYYYYYY fail.
    Except http and https.

• I have this problem too. Version: 1.14.1077.41

• @ayespy I guess that should be at least discussed, how important are some things which are get broken by new Chromium with urgency updating because of security. If for some people are some broken functions needed, probably they will revert to older version, or use different browser. I mean, what is the point to have latest security fixes applied to browser which can't be used for what I want?

• @ayespy said in [Bug] magnet link are broken:

@magsen Chromium broke it. They have to fix it.

They did and they have. After discovering this issue I did a little bit of troubleshooting and found that the issue is resolved in the latest version of Chrome 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build).

For everyone that is moaning about this issue; it should hopefully be resolved in the next Vivaldi update or whenever the devs upgrade Vivaldi to Chromium version 64.0.3282.140. So just be patient and let the good devs do their thing.

@jingles said in [Bug] magnet link are broken:

found that the issue is resolved in the latest version of Chrome 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build).

Yes, when our devs implemented it you will get a new Stable and Snapshot.

• Opening magnet links still doesnt work

• You know this is the kind of bug that will drive people back to whatever browser they came to Vivaldi, right? I certainly was thinking about my choice of Vivaldi today.

One of the most basic functions of a web browser is just broken in the stable release:

Elemental URI handling.

This must never ever be broken in a web browser!

This must never have made it outside testing.

I know you are claiming this is a bug in chromium upstream, and it is, but you must have never shipped this like that. Your QA testing is lacking.

Then we have @Gwen-Dragon here saying "when our devs implemented it you will get a new Stable and Snapshot", THREE days ago. Imagine using a browser where you cannot click on URIs other than HTTP/HTTPS for THREE days (it might even be longer, this is just the last response. And it's from a moderator, not a developer).

It looks soooooo bad if such a basic thing is overlooked from your QA tests.

And it would not even be that bad of a bug if it had just been addressed immediately. This should have been rolled back immediately.

This is not even a security critical bug, so I am afraid what the security critical part of your test suite looks like.

Get your act together!

@akurei said in [Bug] magnet link are broken:

I know you are claiming this is a bug in chromium upstream, and it is, but you must have never shipped this like that. Your QA testing is lacking.

As is known, the new Vivaldi with Chromium 64 code was built to provide a browser with fixed security holes. Security is highest Priority.
    That had to be shipped.

@akurei To be clear, Chromium 64 shipped with bugs and introduced severe regressions. At the same time, it dealt with a couple of critical security hole fixes that a) could not be allowed to remain uncovered for our users and b) could not be back-ported to Chromium 62 (which is what Vivaldi Stable was running on prior to the 1.14 release). Hence, we had to ship. The Team dealt with all the bugs and regressions that we could find internally over a fairly compressed time line (which was a lot of bugs and regressions), and out it went. Already, some of the un-looked-for crap that Chromium 64 dealt has also been patched in a minor update, and there is still more that can be patched (by Vivaldi) but some such patches will have to be unwound when 65 comes out with mainline fixes. And there is a little more that Vivaldi simply can't fix on its own. It's too integral to the 64 engine. There will continue to be the occasional bumpy release like this until Vivaldi can afford a much larger development team. For security reasons, if for nothing else, Vivaldi is constrained to release on a schedule close on the heels of Chromium insofar as it can. It sux, but that's life.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.