Lightspeed Navigation Mode

• button to toggle/untoggle mode that switches off all superfluous extensions and settings that could slow down navigation on oldest devices. Making it personisable (allowing user to select which one of such things has to be switched off, like whitelist) would be best.

• It can be useful for really old PC, but I use a laptop with 10 years and I have installed 19 extensions, however Vivaldi works for me 'at speed of light', surpassing even the Firefox Quantum with only the essential extensions.
    I think the speed depends more on the bandwidth your ISP offers you, than for other reasons

• @catweazle said in Lightspeed navigation mode:

It can be useful for really old PC, but I use a laptop with 10 years and I have installed 19 extensions, however Vivaldi works for me 'at speed of light', surpassing even the Firefox Quantum with only the essential extensions.
    I think the speed depends more on the bandwidth your ISP offers you, than for other reasons

I have to work with an old pc unfortunately (but with a large bandwidth), with programs that use a great amount of the already scarce RAM, so any little improvement would be great. Also, for some kind of jobs (like mine) in which people spend the greatest part of a day testing and browsing on the web, it would be great to have the best possible performances, not having to use ext. like "the great suspender".

• Having a PC with snall RAM is obviously a nuisance, but certain extensions can be considered essential, for example, uBlock Origin, which also occupies very little RAM. In an Antivirus can also save many resources, using one based on the cloud (I use Panda, it is free and also currently the most efficient of all)
    Also a large consumer of RAM are certain Windows services that are loaded by default and that is not needed at all, such as indexing, hibernation capability, multiple screens and digitizing tablets etc., which consume many resources.
    Some resources can also be extracted from the Windows ReadyBoost function, where a USB memory can be used as auxiliary RAM.

Another possibility is to use LINUX, the best solution for teams with scarce resources, being more careful with the use of resources than Windows.
    In the extensions you can not save so much.

• I guess this option could also do things like disable tab thumbnails and animations in the vivaldi window.

It could maybe extend to other metrics that may slow things down, like clearing the downloads list, not showing history items in quick commands or the address bar drop-down.

• A Turbo/Ludicrous speed button would be fun, easy, and convenient way to make several changes to settings at once to optimize Vivaldi's performance.

Another feature that should be included is auto-hibernation for tabs that are inactive for a configurable amount of time. Say after 5 minutes if you're desperate, or 30 minutes for "normal" optimization.

Being able to designate some extensions as critical while hibernating superfluous ones would be great for reducing memory and processing overhead too. For instance, uBlock Origin is critical, but my password manager is not (already logged in or w/e). Flipping the Lightspeed switch could temporarily disable all the other extensions until you flip the switch back.

It should also be able to change global site defaults too, like no autoplay, disable images, etc.

• Adblocker are usually extensions that consume more resources, but uBlock is one of the lightest of them and on the other hand it prevents ads and flash banners from being loaded that not only bother but also take up memory and load time of the page in question,
    It is therefore the question of using it or not and in which pages you can do without it.

• As hibernation/suspension is quite related to performance optimizations...

Some ideas around this:

1. Suggest enabling hibernation/suspension when a small amount of ram(2gb?), old cpu (single/dual core?) or discrete gpu(intel?)/gpu ram(<0,5gb?) is detected;
    2. Suggest enabling (only once) when plenty of tabs are opened (50?)
    3. Per-site hibernation policy and timer to set it (hibernate after "x" seconds/minutes/hours)
    4. Option to bypass hibernation when video/audio/dynamic contents is active on page
    5. "Partial hibernation mode". Always keep on the active tab and the tab before/after it while hibernate others except the ones defined at point 3 or 4.

This will help performances using the chromium hibernation API without addons (which can slow the browser)
    This clearly also require time to be done/planned 😛
    Hoping chromium won't mess with the hibernation/tab APIs - expecially true for points 3, 4 and 5.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.