Optional Minimalist Address Bar
Seasonly last edited by Pesala
edit : alternative title : make that activate address bar feature could be called also simply hovering the active tab.
The current address bar shows a lot of informations. A lot of them is quite not often used and should be placed elsewhere :
- If you used gestures, the left part of the address bar, the navigation part, is less and less used
- The right part, the extension list, shows a lot of extension which are used occasionaly and, then, you don't get them from the toolbar but from the right menu
- The main part shows the address which is surely important, but often you use bookmarks and don't want to remember the complicated url that you never keep in mind correctly !
Finally, if you place the navigation menu and the extension menu in the vertical toolbar (the web panel toolbar), for instance in submenus, the address bar can be placed in tooltip label (see example below) and should be visible only when mouse is over the tab.
The current solution
The current solution without the address bar showed but mouse is over the tab (sorry, the cursor dissapears in the image)
The suggested minimalist address bar
The result when address bar is not showed (I also add a new shadow in the tab to get it back;))
- Light interface which concentrates only on the web page
- Tabs become playcards and offer large area to see them and to select them specialy when tabs are thumbnails
- Precise information still shows like page security information
- Focus is automatically set on the text field of the address bar when it's showed
- New page is gotten in the same way : when mouse is over the tab + icon, then the address bar is showed
- A more tab-centered interface
- The address bar should appears in this new way only for the active tab, the others still shows a simple tooltip label with its name
- A modern way of browsering, letting the usual address bar into the past of browsers ???
This can now be achieved to a great extent by disabling the Address Bar and showing the URL with Ctrl L or F8 (default shortcuts).
Shortcuts can be assigned to extensions.
I also find that I rarely use the navigation buttons on the address bar — sometimes I use Rewind or Home.
I hope we get Configurable Toolbars soon.
Seasonly last edited by
Thanks for this information : this really not obvious : it's considered as a shortcut from page parameters as activate address bar... It would be more interesting if we can make this not with the keyboard and difficult shortcuts (not enough simple for basic function), but only hovering the active tab whereas the hovering of nonactive tabs still shows preview thumbnail popup.
I'm wondering if we could not use modding to simulate this function and getting it from hovering ? But I haven't enough acknowledge to answer.
I hope so that a large configurable toolbar project could solve a lot of user-interface problems. Why using an old way to design user interface whereas the elements are not often used now ? That doesn't mean we have to make disappearing them, only to adjust their accessibilty into a modern browser interface : about this, I suggested a time ago this to reorder the address bar for example.
It would be more interesting if we can make this not with the keyboard
You can already assign a mouse gesture to focus the address field.
Seasonly last edited by
I've just noticed that. In this case, I've to find a simple gesture, adapted for this commun feature, which is not already used : that's make a lot of simple gestures, it's going to lack simple gestures ! Surely I would prefer this as simple hovering just to avoid to use simple gesture that I would use elsewhere...
Calling this minimalist address bar by gesture, make you to question yourself what are still the differences between this address bar and the quick command called according the same way ? The address bar could suggest user interface elements and pages as the quickcommand currently does, and the quick command should have the page information that the address bar has... Why not simplify this, merging the both ?
@seasonly No one else voted for either suggestion, so you might be waiting a long time for these features.
I offer work arounds so that you don't have to wait. Modding the Address Bar is certainly possible, but that comes with its own problems.
EmilEichhoernchen last edited by
This is awesome. I also like the workaround of Pesala :)
Is there any way we can trigger this shortcut by hovering the tabs?