Allow Editing of Menus

• @killdeer said in Allow Editing of Menus:

I'm here to upvote this idea because without it Vivaldi can't have my respect.

I created an account here just to say the same.
    I use Opera daily and thought it would be great if I could rearrange context menu positions. I thought "I can't have this in Opera, but I'm sure Vivaldi has this".
    After a quick search I got to this topic and frankly I'm shocked this functionality isn't implemented. But maybe it's good that I don't have to install another browser.

Menu positions rearrangement is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think "customizing the browser". It's essential.

• 2.0 released and still can't customize context menu...
    Losing hope here.

@wea0 I think all you are losing is patience. It is too early in the life of this browser for it to be possible to include even a substantial percentage of all of the features that users want, much less all, or even a majority.

That said, the ultimate goal is to offer the maximum possible amount of configurability and flexibility, without sacrificing stability or security. This is already the fastest-evolving browser in existence, but change can never come fast enough for everyone.

This feature would be very nice for editing menus in the developer tools as well. I often make use of features hidden in sub-menus, and I'd prefer to have them available in one click.

• Upvote 🙂

@Shirozawa To upvote, you have to go to the original post in the thread and click the "up" carat next to the words "reply" and "quote."

• @Ayespy Sorry I didn't saw it, should I delete my replies ?

@Shirozawa No need.

• +1
    Ability to add/remove/change order/separators.
    There is too many useless options in menus. How many users need direction of writing?

• My vote for customizing drop down menus including their background color. This has been an option in Firefox for quite some time. Needs to be available in Chromium based browsers.

To refine this feature request there seem to be a few distinct points that crop up in the comments, and from those of other threads:

• Edit each of the chrome menu ContextTypes indivudally:

"all", "page", "frame", "selection", "link", "editable", "image", "video", "audio", "launcher", "browser_action", or "page_action"

• In addition, support editing contexts not normally allows such as the developer tools and the vivaldi-specific menu contexts including the main application menu, panel menus, and bookmark bar menus

• Re-order existing menu items (as well as those added by extensions), allowing for nesting

• Add new menu items (potentially corresponding to vivaldi commands not normally in the menu), with menu item types including those from the chrome api ItemTypes:

"normal", "checkbox", "radio", or "separator"

• Introduce a new pictographic ItemType as well as / in addition to:

• Allow horizontal tiling / grouping of menu items, mirroring the zoom icons in the chrome main menu

• The ability to change the style (colour primarily, potentially others) of the context menu

• Allow for users to change item text, potentially setting their own Access K̲eys using &

Basically, this feature request is sort of a master request for a lot of other smaller features and has a lot of work attached if it is ever to be completed, so patience is required.

• @Ayespy Yes, I am losing patience. This feature request currently has 180 189 votes — more than any other feature request — but it's not even tagged as work in progress yet.

I would be happy with a way to delete and move menu items for a start. The other refinements like editable access keys, adding new commands, or horizontally stacked icons could wait.

• It's been a year, I have very little hope and I'm surprised to see such a slow reaction time

• @Shirozawa The Pipeline tag means it probably won't be done this year either. Too much work needed, and too many other things to fix that are more important.

• +1

While the menus are a bit of a mess, I'm not so bothered as long as I can use my own most commonly used tools in a quick manner. I became pretty furious a few versions back when the functionality of "Remove from Tab Stack" was changed from a "f" key stroke to highlight the function to "r", making it 1 of 3 r's in this context, with more or less depending on the status of the stack.

I may have missed it previously, but I hope keyboard shortcuts are being considered as part of this standardization. I can get past if an awkward key is chosen, but consistency is key here - you can't go changing the end-user functionality, especially for form over function, that doesn't feel very much like Vivaldi at all.

• @Pesala sorry for the late response, I just find it a pity 😕

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.