Vivaldi completely frozen

• I am running Vivaldi on a PC with windows 10. My Vivaldi will open, but it is completely frozen and can only be shut down with the task manager.

1. this morning I had a regular Vivaldi open, then opened a private window.

2. When I closed the private window, the regular window closed also.

3. When I re-opened Vivaldi it seemed normal and I opened the history to check something. After that it froze completely. I shut it down and relaunched it & it opened in a completely frozen window with the history open just as it been when it first froze.

4. I eventually restarted the computer and after that Vivaldi seemed to function normally. I could navigate to various sites and otherwise control the browser.

5. I decided it might be a good idea to install the latest update (the one announced a couple weeks ago) and tried to download the exe. Instead the file was marked as a temporary file in the download folder.

6. I downloaded the exe through Chrome and then ran it. After that Vivaldi has been completely dead. I can open and get the same screen with the history open, and then close it only with the task manager. Closing and re-launching the program has no different result and restarting the computer did nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what is going or how to fix it? If I uninstall and reinstall Vivaldi will that delete all my bookmarks?

@helenaconstantine said in Vivaldi completely frozen:

If I uninstall and reinstall Vivaldi will that delete all my bookmarks?

You can export your bookmarks to an HTML file.

Try rebooting first, before reinstalling.

Then try Cleaning your profile

@helenaconstantine Uninstalling and reinstalling will do essentially nothing. Renaming your Default folder (don't delete - just rename) will probably fix it. Then transfer your vital data from the old folder to the new one.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.