Return of Vivaldi spyware

• Auto updates are disabled in settings. I caught Vivaldi now connecting to https://update.vivaldi.com/stats/piwik.php

Pwiki is a third party spyware company, incorporated directly into the browser despite our settings with no opt out. Who knows how long this is been going on--I stupidly allow Vivaldi access through my firewall because it's a goddamn web browser and I shouldn't need to analyze every goddamn connection it makes.

I am so sick of seeing this bullshit from this company. They claim to respect users yet I'm constantly finding them doing the exact opposite. They still haven't done anything about the Google spyware in the Chromium base. Vivaldi continues to phone home to Google servers no matter what you do with the settings. Now they're sneaking their own scummy spyware into it.

@dib_ Stop spreading FUD. Piwik as employed by Vivaldi is not "spyware." Piwik is not a "spyware company" (unless Google, Facebook, Yahoo, TVGuide, Microsoft, Apple, NYT, Huffpo, Ancestry.com, WaPo, CenturyLink and McAfee are "spyware companies" - in which case just disconnect your computer and go to bed). It is irresponsible and malicious of you to lie about Vivaldi in this fashion. If you want to know what a connection does, ask. But don't sling around reckless accusations.

• Of course it is. Just because it's bundled in a web browser instead of Comet Cursor doesn't make it less spyware. They're gathering data on users without permission, notification or any means to opt out. That data has a marketing value--this company doesn't pay their bills on valueless data being gathered from umpteen programs. You're a shameless apologist to defend them for this breach of trust.

Vivaldi constantly claims "we're going to be different! We care about users! We respect privacy" and then they violate that trust. Every goddamn time.

• See Vivaldi browser privacy policy, second paragraph.

It's all there.

Didn't read it before? Oops. I am so sick seeing this b/s of people who don't take a minute to read up about the software they are about to use, especially if their self-proclaimed affliction to privacy is higher that average...

• It's totally okay because we amended our own terms to allow it! Our one sided terms that protect us like a magical cloak from any criticism of scummy business practices or hypocrisy. That we dictate and can change any time, without accountability to anyone. So we'll talk a big deal about how much we respect users and personal privacy, but so long as we change our terms later then there's nothing wrong with anything we're doing.

• From the privacy policy I'm guessing this might be the stats like the cpu arc, the os etc. This data is kind of necessary in order to build software as you need to know who you're building it for.
    Also, note that the URL is a vivaldi domain - vivaldi has control over this.
    That said, I would find it nice if there were some sort of user-accessible log displaying such connections so you can verify exactly what is being sent.

• @dib_ said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

It's totally okay because we amended our own terms to allow it! Our one sided terms that protect us like a magical cloak from any criticism of scummy business practices or hypocrisy. That we dictate and can change any time, without accountability to anyone. So we'll talk a big deal about how much we respect users and personal privacy, but so long as we change our terms later then there's nothing wrong with anything we're doing.

I doubt much that pwiki, a generator of static pages, on which it is based between others also github, is a spyware.
    Apart from this, you can not verify any sending of data to Google or other sites by Vivaldi (with the option of Google spyware check disabled in the configuration), only this specificatet in the TOS
    Where privacy can not be guaranteed is in the extensions that you use in Vivaldi, especially if they are from Google. I would start investigating there, before releasing so many accusations with a browser more private than others, or limit yourself directly to surfing only with VPN and TOR

• @dib_ said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

It's totally okay because we amended our own terms to allow it!

Amending? As in "change afterwards"? No. This statement has been there as long as I can remember the Vivaldi site.

If I read through your previous rants like "bad Vivaldi, nobody did away with all this privacy-killing Google stuff for me for free", I'm not sure it's worth taking the time just to respond. You just demand and allege and insult. Try some politeness for a change.

Maybe you would like to base your own browser on chromium, but without all links to Google stuff - or better still, don't use Chromium, because that originated at Google also, some time ago.

Or try another of my favourite browsers, this one will for sure not "phone home" to Google as long as you don't open their websites. By the way, you don't need any adblocker on this one, it does it all by itself...

• I could see this becoming a trilogy.

1. The tracking begins
    2. Vivaldi strikes back
    3. Return of the spyware

Feel free to write scripts and produce movies.

@dib_ said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

Pwiki is a third party spyware company, incorporated directly into the browser despite our settings with no opt out.

You tell users False Facts.
    The software as you mean: Piwik is not in the browser.

• @lonm said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

From the privacy policy I'm guessing this might be the stats like the cpu arc, the os etc. This data is kind of necessary in order to build software as you need to know who you're building it for.
    Also, note that the URL is a vivaldi domain - vivaldi has control over this.

I think it's about that also, hardware, and if it's possible, browser's consumption, speed, resources management...

• This browser send all my domains i visit to a german server which is related to Deutsche Telekom and the BND. Why does Vivaldi send the domain i visit to a server? Thats is spyware, isnt it?
    ^^^^^^ i call such posting FUD and thats what the TP wants to tell us in its first post.

@dib_ Did you ever have read https://vivaldi.net/privacy-policy/?
    Vivaldi Technologies collects data on their own servers for local statistics.
    That is what Piwik server statistics software does on vivaldi.net.

After you have been accusing Vivaldi spreading Spyware, I will give you a outage of 3 hours to calm down and think about your behavior.

• @dads-beef in the first post, the TP tells us that Vivaldi "sends data" (neutrally: requests a page from) a Vivaldi server. Whatever Vivaldi might send - it stays on Vivaldi's server.

As I posted above, Vivaldi explicitly tells us they're doing this.

FUD is screaming about spyware every time something happens someone doesn't understand...

• @ayespy Of course Google is a spyware company. That's their whole business model!

Because there is no way to opt out of this, I am on the verge of uninstalling Vivaldi. If I cannot use my browser in a way that I would hope no third parties are collecting my information, then I cannot use my browser in a way I want. Again, the philosophy is a browser is a tool for me to use, not a tool that uses me.

@Morg42 "Vivaldi will send a message using HTTPS directly to our servers located in Iceland every 24 hours containing this ID, version, cpu architecture, screen resolution and time since last message. We anonymize the IP address of Vivaldi users by removing the last octet of the IP address from your Vivaldi client then we store the resolved approximate location after using a local geoip lookup. The purpose of this collection is to determine the total number of active users and their geographical distribution."

Or they could just not. That is a lot of information for determining active users -- why isn't this since unique ID enough? Why do you need my CPu architecture, or my screen resolution? You want to know if I'm on desktop or mobile? Just put that in the unique ID upon installation. ID D192909 is a desktop browser, M192910 is a mobile browser.

You want to keep track of version use? Just check how many downloads are made on your server.

It's a waste of money to pay pwik for this data harvesting if they are only collecting this. Which means they are actually collecting more and for additional purposes.

(Ironically, my post for making the quotation syntax results in "Post content was flagged as spam by Akismet.com")

Edit: Reading further into the privacy policy, it says URLs are not collected. But, are domains still collected as dads-beef is reporting?

• @gwen-dragon I can use an adblock plugin to strip offending spyware embedded in sites. I cannot use a plugin to strip the spyware running in the web browser process itself.

• This page puts everything your browser and other pages can find out about you and helps you adjust the settings for privacy.

http://webkay.robinlinus.com/

My result is all the points, without result, using Genesis Plus adblocker, Canvas Defender and this app from DuckDuckGo. Optional you can also put a script blocker
    My search engine is Startpage and desactivated WebRTC
    More privacy can not be achieved with any other browser, at least using TOR

• @ayespy

It’s time for an opt out option of the Piwik/Matomo tracking software that Vivaldi uses. Take a look at what pationate privacy user feel about tracking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/7tjgpy/vivaldi_caught_incorporating_spyware_connectivity/

Please remember some of Jon Von Tetzchner thoughts about tracking (and please make a more fair attempt at understanding that most users do not read the privacy policy of software, especially when the company promotes itself as pro-privacy) in regards to privacy:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/jon-von-tetzchner-opera-facebook-google

• @anonymousvivaldi Yep, posting on reddit with a shitload of tracking running in background, lol. That's hypocrisy.

• @luetage said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

@anonymousvivaldi Yep, posting on reddit with a shitload of tracking running in background, lol. That's hypocrisy.

The biggest security hole is the user himself

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.