Return of spyware ?

• @anonymousvivaldi said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

most users do not read the privacy policy of software

Oh come on, that's a ridiculous defence argument to mount. Sure users are free to not bother taking basic steps to inform themselves, like ignoring T&C etc before buying / using a product or service, but in so-doing they logically forfeit any right to squawk later, if they then discover something they do not like, that was explicitly stated in the documentation they chose to ignore. Such illogicality is astounding.

• @steffie Especially when the privacy policy is not 30 pages of incomprehensible lawmaker blabla but only a few passages long written in a way that one should be able to understand.

• @wagner Nicley written and well explained - at least in my opinion.

• @wagner said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

This topic has generated an article on gHacks.net
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/30/vivaldi-browser-privacy/

The article mentions, that it is possible to delete that unique user ID. Is there further coverage to this approach somewhere?

You know, I'd rather pay Vivaldi some annual amount for their product but be left alone by all this tracking, profiling, phone-home stuff and get full control e. g. over what I want to block; see Google WebRequest v3 Manifest API changes, hyperlink auditing et al. Mostly I blame Alphabet/Google -> Chrome/ChromIUM monoculture but the unique ID from Vivaldi? Ain't nice either. Yes, it is mentioned in the privacy statement but trust is a very, very fragile thing regarding these matters these days. Usually trust is earned and not just handed-out.
    Bottom line: feature/workflow/functionality wise I really like Vivaldi. But with the recent developments with ChromIUM I fear that if I want to stick to my principles I will have to say goodbye to it (am in the midst of the transition).

• @RogerWilco I don't know how it should be possible for a user to delete the UID – we don't have access. I also don't see the point. To stop Vivaldi collecting data you will have to delete the application. Afterwards you can switch to another product and continue being tracked on the web by all other tech companies.

Let's be clear here, the only meaningful way to be safe from tracking is to stop using the internet… and credit cards… and mobile phones. You probably should move to a rural area too, these days you simply don't know who is shooting footage of you.

While I do understand the sentiment, Vivaldi is a very minor offender – there are bigger fish to fry.

• @raed said in Return of Vivaldi spyware:

identifying the geo location using the first three octets of the IP address

For years i use VPNs. At any given time i could "be" anywhere. Given the ever widening & deepening tentacles of all the evilcorps & evilgovts, i can assume that global VPN usage will only increase. What then for "useful" geotracking info for all these bastards?

Otoh, with mobs like NSA, GCHQ & my own Oz fascist govt [introduced egregious laws to break encryption & gain backdoors etc; arseholes], i suppose that VPNs are probably already also comromised else will be soon enough.

Against these, alleged concerns raised by some against V possibly need assessment with some sense of proportion.

• Nice that someone exposes this. Yikes at moderation "fixing" the title up

• This post is deleted!

• @Priest72 You are very late to the party, take a look at the blogs. Vivaldi has since decided to forego the tracking in future.

• @luetage ok thank you.

• Ambassador

I think there is a difference between one who is posted on the edge of a road, counting the cars and the type that go through it, and another who does it too, but who also points out the license plates, to find out the name and address of the owners, their destination where they go and where they work, to then give this information to third parties, for them they fill their mailbox with "personalized" advertisings.

https://tosdr.org/

• @luetage said in Return of spyware:

@Priest72 You are very late to the party, take a look at the blogs. Vivaldi has since decided to forego the tracking in future.

Well when.?
    i noticed you used the term tracking which is hardly conducive to incur faith.

Linux chromium removes the RLZ upon updating the browser so i see no reason why there is all this calling out from vivaldi.

Counting downloads would not be accurate because uninstalls would not be recorded.
    Only other possible way could be to employ analytics on websites but that would not be accurate either and having tracking id preinstalled with a browser is not very privacy friendly.
    Don't get me wrong vivaldi is a great browser but id tracking and calling home is just unacceptable to a lot of people.

Some users want unpaid software and call Vivaldi a spyware because they count their users? Do they think Vivaldi is some sort of charity institution or welfare they can use without any interaction? I can not tell.

• Ambassador

I really don't know that counting users anonymously has to do with lack of privacy or spyware.
    I find it mostly funny that then there are even posts with this topic on Facebook

• I don't mind the actual data in .vivaldi_reporting_data at all. I just mind its location. Plopping a "hidden" (maybe on Linux) file directly into the user home directory is just plain rude.

Put it in the Profile Folder with all the rest 🙄

• This post is deleted!

• While we're on the subject, is there an in-depth explanation of vivaldi://settings/privacy/ somewhere - I've been meaning to study this section for a while?

Sincerely

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.