Vivaldi continues filling web forms after electricity cut downs... Kudos!

• Did you realize, even if electricity goes off suddenly you can continue filling an online form from where you left it and with the same content you've filled till the cut down

This happened to me twice lately. On both times, I wasn't willing to fill forms all over again but once my computer restarted I admit I was a little surprised :slight_smile: I was able to continue from the exact spot where I was cut off

I just wanted to appreciate and to share this feature within.
    Thanks Vivaldi, and forum members those who spared time to read.

@lvnt Right now I am in touch with my energy supply company too try to find out why my power gets interrupted sometimes for a second or two. It's good that Vivaldi remembers this info.

• @pesala lols :slight_smile:
    it looks like those cuts are common in global scale nowadays. I didn't used to have those kind of problem 1 year ago. Are you using a laptop with a dead battery like me :sweat_smile:

@lvnt No. I am using a desktop plugged into the mains. I have a smart meter.

The agent for EDF told me that they had two power fluctuations in the last 3 months. There was also one power-cut for the entire day. That is rare, but I guess that the load on the infrastructure is always increasing as the years go by and people spend more time using more devices.

Maybe time to invest in solar panels and a power-wall?

• @pesala I think so yeasss! Solar is one fascinating alternative energy source you know. If you are not lazy to implement, it would be cool to have it run in-house

• @pesala said in Vivaldi continues filling web forms after electricity cut downs... Kudos!:

... Right now I am in touch with my energy supply company too try to find out why my power gets interrupted sometimes for a second or two. ...

Power suppliers normally provide protective devices within their distribution networks that sense for short-circuits on the network and interrupt power if one is detected. On distribution branches, these devices may be simple breakers or fuses, but usually they are a series of automatic reclosers which sense for downstream over-current and will open and re-close an internal switch up to 3 times to see if a sensed downstream fault has cleared. After the fourth opening, the switch stays open and the downstream line remains dead.

Depending on the nature of the actual fault, a local fuse or circuit breaker should open almost immediately where a short-circuit at a user site has occurred and relieve the distribution line of the overload. Depending on the load the user was drawing, the delay in his fuse/breaker, and the distribution line's capacity, the recloser may or may not bounce open a first time when a downstream fuse/breaker opens. Regardless, the whole process will generally create an impulse that rings the distribution voltage and is most often noticed as a blink or two of other users' lights; it may or may not be strong enough to reset digital devices. On the other hand, continually flickering lights indicate arcing somewhere along the distribution network that isn't severe enough to trip the reclosers, but is strong enough to cause major voltage transients.

In any case, these occasional transients are why I recommend that all desktop computer users install a Universal Power Supply (UPS) ahead of their critical systems. It provides an automatic, transparent switchover to an internal battery-powered inverter to maintain full voltage to the computer/display/modem whenever a power blink or full outage occurs. In the latter case, the UPS gives the user a multi-minute opportunity to manually close open programs and shut down their computer gracefully. I live in a semi-rural area, near the end of a very long distribution branch, and the one-second blinks occur rather frequently, for various reasons. Since installing the UPS, the computer coasts gracefully along ignoring them all... the digital clocks on the household devices are another story, and we've simply stopped bothering to reset many of the built-in ones.

• Good to know that V will keep your online work even after a disaster.

--
    @Pesala @lvnt

Solar energy should be mandatory all over the planet, it was discovered years ago.

@zalex108 Unfortunately, we are still some way from it being economically viable in the UK.

We don't get much sunshine here, and there are lots of small flats sharing one roof.

I suspect it will become more viable over time, but with electric vehicles consuming more power, and using more Lithium, I doubt whether it will become nearly universal for another 100 years.

• @pesala

People have been spending their efforts to destroy instead of caring and using energy kinetically.

For Uk maybe this would be better - if you have some space to deploy it and the Seas are bravely enough -.

--
    In Spain with more than 85% of sunny days a year, it is not supplied with solar plants ... ¬¬

@zalex108 There is already a Tidal Lagoon Project for Swansea in Wales, where the tidal range is huge.

Other projects are still rather experimental and small in scale.

• @pesala

Hmmm...

That's nice! I'll read it.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.