[Snapshot 1.14.1072.3] Netflix 'M7355-1204' Error After Updating

• So, why exactly does it involve so much more work on the part of the user to get Vivaldi to function acceptably on Linux? Between this latest shimozzle and the Outlook 100% CPU craziness I'm looking to switch back to Firefox out of sheer frustration. I have Vivaldi-snapshot and vialdi-snapshot-ffmpeg installed on Manjaro Linux, as well as Google Chrome (which we shouldn't need to begin with), installed, and it was working before, but now Netflix and a whole host of other streaming video sites are spitting back errors. This is not good enough.

• @purgatori Yeah, i'm a litle peeved too https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/185896 but i remain confident that some magic will happen soon to fix it. In the meantime, i'm currently back to Stable on Lappy for my Netflixing, & am skipping this SS update on Tower.

Did you read https://gist.github.com/ruario/3c873d43eb20553d5014bd4d29fe37f1
    and updated widevine lib?

I do not know but may be faking the useragent may help? As mentioned in https://gist.github.com/ruario/3c873d43eb20553d5014bd4d29fe37f1#damn-you-netflix

• @steffie said in Netflix 'M7355-1204' Error After Updating, Patience = Gone:

@purgatori Yeah, i'm a litle peeved too https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/185896 but i remain confident that some magic will happen soon to fix it. In the meantime, i'm currently back to Stable on Lappy for my Netflixing, & am skipping this SS update on Tower.

Falling back to vivaldi-stable seems to have fixed the problem (albeit, not in an ideal way). Thanks, Steffie.

The current 1.14.1072.3 has new Chromium 64 code and may fail on some video pages.
    Would be interesting to know if Linux Chromium 64 beta fails on Netflix, too.

• @gwen-dragon said in [Snapshot 1.14.1072.3] Netflix 'M7355-1204' Error After Updating:

interesting to know if Linux Chromium 64 beta fails on Netflix

Because i'm on the Stable not Testing or Unstable repo branch of Manjaro, my Chromium is still only this...

Chromium	63.0.3239.132 (Developer Build) (64-bit)
    Revision	2e6edcfee630baa3775f37cb11796b1603a64360-
    OS	Linux
    JavaScript	V8 6.3.292.49
    Flash	28.0.0.137 /usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
    User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/63.0.3239.132 Safari/537.36

As per other threads, other Vivaldi Manjaro users are on the higher branches, so might be able to test for you?

• Hi, checked Chromium 65 and it cant play Netflix videos.
    For me the workaround of Gwen-Dragon work with latest snapshot.

Cheers, mib

• @mib2berlin I wish Lilo's method had also worked for me, but as per the transcripts i provided, there were error messages. Maybe those commands are not fully compatible in Manjaro, but i'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure.

• Vivaldi Team

An explanation for you all https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/understanding-video-issues-with-vivaldi-for-linux-snapshots/

Sorry I would have put this up sooner but I was away yesterday with a sick kid.

• @steffie Thanks muchly. I actually 'fixed' it myself today by un-and-re-installing both vivaldi-snapshot and vivaldi-snapshot-ffmpeg from the Herecura repo. I have no idea why this worked today and not when I initially ran into trouble, but there you go. :-S

@purgatori said in [Snapshot 1.14.1072.3] Netflix 'M7355-1204' Error After Updating:

vivaldi-snapshot-ffmpeg from the Herecura repo

The maintainer Ike updated the package and this is more compatible with the 1.14 Snapshot than opera-developer-ffmpeg-codecs i suggested days before.

• ^

That makes sense.

I also want to apologize for the intemperate tone of my original post. I'd had a bit too much to drink at the time, and the filter that would normally intercede between brain and keyboard was inoperative at the time. 😧

• @purgatori Oh that's good news, & way cool that you do your normal V installation & updates [bearing in mind this is two Manjaroos / Manjari talking ;-)] from the Herecura repo. I did my initial V [SS & Stable] installation [& hence all updates subsequently] from AUR via Octopi or Pamac [use both, can't remember which one i used back then for V], & have also done the V ffmpeg from AUR... but will never do that latter again once i discovered that it takes >30' & fails unless it has >6 GB space available for building; eeek. Since then, i reverted to manually extracting that lib from Herecura the way i used to do before Manjaro.

However, can i pls check with you. Are you saying that if i were to install V itself from Herecura, no longer AUR, that it would come preconfigured with this lib, hence me no longer needing to take care of the codec manually?

• @steffie said in [Snapshot 1.14.1072.3] Netflix 'M7355-1204' Error After Updating:

@purgatori Oh that's good news, & way cool that you do your normal V installation & updates [bearing in mind this is two Manjaroos / Manjari talking ;-)] from the Herecura repo. I did my initial V [SS & Stable] installation [& hence all updates subsequently] from AUR via Octopi or Pamac [use both, can't remember which one i used back then for V], & have also done the V ffmpeg from AUR... but will never do that latter again once i discovered that it takes >30' & fails unless it has >6 GB space available for building; eeek. Since then, i reverted to manually extracting that lib from Herecura the way i used to do before Manjaro.

However, can i pls check with you. Are you saying that if i were to install V itself from Herecura, no longer AUR, that it would come preconfigured with this lib, hence me no longer needing to take care of the codec manually?

Yeah, that 6GB build resource for vivaldi--ffmpeg is crazy. That's why I ended up installing both vivaldi- and vivaldi-*-snapshot from Herecura instead of going the AUR route. And yes, if you install both of these from the Herecura repo you should not need to do anything manually--although I have found that I do need to have Google Chrome installed from that same repo in order for Widevine to work; without it installed, you probably would have to do some manual copying over and so forth.

• @purgatori Oh this is good news, many thanks. Today i shall experiment with this first in my Manjaro VM, & once i have reduced that to a smoking ruin i can turn my full destructive powers onto my real Manjaro 😉 Ta for the mention of Widevine too... Chrome shall never have a home on my system, so i will happily keep using Ruari's amazing bash script for periodic updates of Widevine.

• @steffie said in [Snapshot 1.14.1072.3] Netflix 'M7355-1204' Error After Updating:

@purgatori Oh this is good news, many thanks. Today i shall experiment with this first in my Manjaro VM, & once i have reduced that to a smoking ruin i can turn my full destructive powers onto my real Manjaro 😉 Ta for the mention of Widevine too... Chrome shall never have a home on my system, so i will happily keep using Ruari's amazing bash script for periodic updates of Widevine.

I share your antipathy to Chrome. I certainly don't feel good about having it on my system, but I'm too lazy to turf it in favor of even semi-manually updating Widevine.

Oh, and you might want to check out this thread over on the Manjaro forum about using Herecura for Vivaldi, although it is pretty straightforward.

• @purgatori

This is just wonderful - i'm kinda kicking myself now for not exploring this herecura repo method at the beginning of my Manjaro journey, rather than now a few months later. Thanks heaps @purgatori 🙂

I presume that my method can't be wrong per se, given that everything video-wise still works nicely after removing my AUR V versions & installing from the herecura repo instead. However in the interests of optimisation & my ongoing learning, here's what i did... in case you can see anything that should be done differently:

1. Edit /etc/pacman.conf to insert this [in KDE can just do directly with root access in Kate from Dolphin; in Xfce first do "sudo mousepad /etc/pacman.conf"]:
    # Added 21/1/18 by Steffie, for direct [non-AUR] pacman access to Vivaldi [SS & Stable] + their ffmpeg codecs.
    [herecura]
    Server = https://repo.herecura.be/$repo/$arch

1. Now do:
    sudo pacman -Syu   #To refresh my package database.

1. Can of course do in Konsole with pacman, but i like GUI, so:

0_1516525225947_20180121_001.png

Overall this new procedure worked really well, with H.264/MP4 at https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html , & Netflix itself, playing correctly [& me apparently never again having to worry about the messiness of manually managing the libffmpeg.so codec :-)]. The only minor sour note was, having replaced my previous methodology now today in 2 x Manjaro VMs, & 2 x Manjaro "real" OSs, that the herecura repo sometimes behaved a bit flakily. In one VM & one real, it all proceeded perfectly without hitch. In the other two, i had to repeat the procedure a couple of times, due to weird intermittent installation failures & accompanying error messages that the file from the repo was invalid/corrupt/had wrong key. Eventually though, all was good. Yay.

• @steffie Glad it all went swimmingly for you. 🙂 Aside the program I used to edit pacman.conf, the steps I followed didn't really differ from yours. I have also encountered a little bit of spottiness with the repo from time to time, but aside from the video issue that prompted me to create this topic in the first place, I haven't encountered any major hiccups. Out of interest, did you follow your usual procedure for widevine, or did it 'just work'?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.