Chrome Password Issue following Vivaldi Install and Reboot

• I installed the Vivaldi Browser after seeing some fantastic reviews, and I wanted something a little less bloated than Chrome. I had previously used Camino, but when that ceased to be developed I was stuck.

I installed Vivaldi without issue, and it was working with a dream. I then had to reboot my macbook pro (2017/i5/8GB/512GB SSD/OSX 10.13.2 High Sierra), following that reboot none of my passwords are available in chrome. I have been through the command line manual 'fix' of uninstalling Chrome, removing all files in the LIbrary area etc . While this reset Chrome to its new state, logging back in I still get no passwords listed in the Settings area. they are all there offline - so are not being sync'd.

Does anyone have any idea why this has happened, and more importantly how it can be fixed.

Cheers

Ian

@ian-venner Without knowing exactly what you did to reset things on your system, we can't really offer any specific advice or explanations.

Both Chrome and Vivaldi (currently) use the "Chrome Safe Storage" key in the macOS Keychain to encrypt and decrypt data in their secure information stores. The key has an Access Control List and both Chrome and Vivaldi should have access to this key. If either Chrome or Vivaldi loses access to the "Chrome Safe Storage" key value, the application will not be able to decrypt/access data (such as passwords) in secure storage.

If the "Chrome Safe Storage" key gets deleted, the decryption key will be lost as well and you will lose access to passwords that have been stored locally. However, you should still be able to retrieve any Chrome passwords that you have sync'ed.

A reboot (normally) should have no affect on your Vivaldi installation. (I say this with certainty because I shut down my MacBook at the end of every day.) Chrome is indirectly affected by a reboot because it always tries to update itself whenever you log into your account; sometimes the Chrome update will reset the "Chrome Safe Storage" ACL, so this could also affect Vivaldi. Normally, if either Chrome or Vivaldi loses access to the key in the Keychain, you'll be prompted to re-grant access.

You can view the ACL using "Keychain Access.app"; double-click on "Chrome Safe Storage" and look the the entries under the "Access Control" tab.

Apart from sharing the "Chrome Safe Storage" key, the Vivaldi and Chrome installations are completely separate.

Assuming that your problems are caused by a missing entry in the "Chrome Safe Storage" key's Access List, it should be an easy thing to fix.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.