This is my first forum post.

• Hi everyone,

I have been using Vivaldi browser for a few months, but never made a Vivaldi account. I want to thank whoever made this browser possible, and to keep up the good work. I am a user the Windows and occasionally Mac version, but I plan to install the Linux version when I get a reliable Linux setup.

@johnsetterlund Welcome! It's working well on Mint 18, if a little resource-hungry, so long as you have half-decent anywhere-near-modern hardware. My 9-year-old Core2 quad system with 8 GB ram running X64 Mint 18 loves it. My 14-year old 32-bit P4 system with 2 GB RAM running x86 Mint 18 quit loading Vivaldi last week when I updated it, and then quit loading Linux. So I have some work to do there... :)

• Thanks! I will give it a try, but I might try to run it off a thumb drive because my PC has got an SSD.

@johnsetterlund It takes up precious little room. How tiny is your SSD? I run one here, half a terrabyte, plenty of room left over. My smallest SSD is 120GB on a rather old laptop, and I run it on that as well.

• 128 GB, and Windows takes a sizable amount of it.

@johnsetterlund Hmmmmm. Well, Vivaldi will consume about a Gig and a half on average after extended use, and if you don't run it on the SSD, I don't know if you'll be happy with the speed. Of course, you might not notice much drop-off on a 64 GB USB 3.0. I'll have to try that, just for kicks.

• @johnsetterlund You'll find you have an immense amount of space for Linux, once you remove that virulent Redmond malware... :-)

Alternatively, you could do something like this, if you like:

1. Dual-boot [personally i'd advise against that, in favour of the following]
    2. Backup all your data [duh]
    3. Ensure you still have your Windows dvd & PK
    4. Having previously decided your fav Linux distro [obviously that's a lovely enjoyable "problem" to have, but eventually from testing via LiveUSBs or otherwise VMs in your current Windows, you'll have a target selected], install it to your SSD by reformatting SSD & partitioning with [eg] /dev/sda1 = 30 GB / [ie, root; can be smaller but this size is for future-proofing], /dev/sda2 = Swap [= to your RAM, albeit there's LOTS of valid alternatives here; for illustration here i'll assume 8 GB], ~6 GB unformatted at the very end of the SSD [="over-provisioning", for SSD internal block housekeeping], & the remainder being /dev/sda3 ~76 GB for /home.
    5. Within /home create a VirtualBox VM of ~35-40 GB [or smaller; basically sufficient for Win itself & whatever must-have pgms you want therein; no substantive data storage needed herein], & use VB's Shared Folders feature to access whatever docs you wish, from your /home partition.

Coz your SSD only has 120 GB, whichever distro you choose probably need a filesystem of ext4, xfs etc for root but NOT btrfs [that needs to be quite larger than 30 GB if Snapper & Rollbacks are wanted].

Also if you'd like to use a GPT rather than BIOS partition table you'll need a tiny fat16 initial partition of say 180 MB [probably can be smaller] mounted as /boot/efi & with boot + esp flags.

Over time, as your familiarity with Linux increases & your regard for Windows shrinks, you'd actually be able to adjust the Linux / Windows space allocation balance... sooner or later you'll realise that there's ever-decreasing need [& desire] to launch the Win VM coz for all the pgms you need you'll have found good Linux replacements, hence one by one you can remove those from the VM, & shrink the VM down, giving you more storage space in /home.

There's MANY good variants on that plan available, but that's just an idea for you to consider if you like.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.