Vivaldi fails Spectre check - when will you update?

• Think we need to keep things in perspective...

There are thousands of exploits found every year (~17000 CVE entries in 2017) that don't use Spectre. As long as you use standard browsing precautions, you are not really at any significantly greater risk than before.
    ā€” https://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-...n-spectre.html

• Vivaldi Ambassador

@dicks said in Vivaldi fails Spectre check - when will you update?:

@ayespy I am for testing and so on. But since this topic is hot with the press it may soon make the rounds that Vivaldi has not yet addressed the issue and that the browser "is insecure" to use. Bad press is not good.

I hope you guys can address this quickly.... Addressing it also will allow Vivaldi to issue a press note on it. The longer you take the less possible it is to do that.....

@Ayespy already stated that the internal test version is fine. And if I'm following this thread correctly somebody appears to think Vivaldi is based on "Chrome". It isn't. Vivaldi is based on Chromium. As are several other browsers including Chrome.

As far as Spectre goes, I'm no too sure it's trustworthy. It's in China. And gets a little over 200,000 visitors a day.

• @para-noid said in Vivaldi fails Spectre check - when will you update?:

As far as Spectre goes, I'm no too sure it's trustworthy. It's in China. And gets a little over 200,000 visitors a day.

Perhaps you instead meant to write "Tencents' Spectre tester"? Spectre is the name for the type of vulnerability in the Intel and AMD chips.

• @koolio said in Vivaldi fails Spectre check - when will you update?:

I'm sure that tool just steals all your site user pass information from google chrome spyware infested engine.. tencent china own you now :man_facepalming: jk or I dunno anyone check teh source :P

ps fuck google

pps at least they have a working autoscroll mmb implementation.

I also was wondering is that test safe to use, well opened page to Firefox and immediately (before clicking click to check) Sophos for linux jumped and said

VIRUS_FOUND_IN_FILE
    /home/user/.cache/mozilla.../cache2/entries/E1B4EF0E74CC375175EC993041570650A0806C0D
    FILE__INFECTED
    ALERT-REPEAT

Yep that's probably just false positive, but on the other hand I don't see anything at testing site which would make me especially trust them. On the other hand I was reading this forum and others were running the test, so I actually did run check at Vivaldi first, before I got that aler from Sophos when using Firefox. So I really hope it is just false positive.

And please, let not go to the "you don't need antivirus at linux" discussion. Long time ago I decided to give Sophos for linux a test drive and while it actually doesn't effect system performance I had almost forgotten that it is there..

• Vivaldi Ambassador

@Blackbird Either way I still wouldn't place too much trust in that website.

• @para-noid may i ask why you deem Tencent's Spectre tester untrustworthy? On what do you base that?

Tencent is China's leading tech company, a digital media and telecom conglomerate, it's market value topped 500billion$ in 2017. They own companies like Riot Games (maker of League of Legends), Supercell (maker of Clash of Clans), and have heavy investments into major companies such as Epic Games (maker of Gears of War) and Activision Blizzard (maker of Overwatch and Destiny). They break new ground in the real-world application of facial recognition, mobile payments, electronic commerce and artificial intelligence.

Their website offers a simple Spectre tester. Nothing more to it.

• Vivaldi Translator

Yes, tencent is 100% trustable.

But.... all OK with 1.14.1072.3. Thanks!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.