Hello! New member with questions

• Hello everybody! My name is Steve :) Around 2008, my friend suggested to use Opera as my web browser. As I downloaded Opera 9, I had absolutely no idea how powerful it was as a web browser, and have taken for granted it's amazing features. When Opera announced they would be moving to WebKit, I was a little excited having this naive idea of Opera working with other web browsers, but when Opera 15 was released at the time needless to say I was highly disappointed and stayed on the now-almost deprecated Opera 12. Here I am 7 years later, two months away from becoming a graduate computer scientist and my colleague mentions Vivaldi to me. I'm completely ecstatic that there is a community that revolves around the old Opera community, and when I downloaded Vivaldi, I was so happy seeing that my favorite web-browser was becoming a thing again. :cheer: I haven't done my research, but I've read that Vivaldi is being worked on by the original Opera team (?). My question is, what exactly happened? Why did Opera end up where it is now, and more importantly, if Vivaldi really is being worked on by members of the original Opera team, why are they re-making an entire browser based on the old Opera? Did these team members not have the ability to prevent the changes seen in the current Opera? To better rephrase, did they not have the power to keep Opera on the track it was on? I'm only curious and assumed this would be the place to ask and find out more information. I have mad respect for people working on this browser. It seems pretty actively developed since it's first preview, and I would be happy to join all of you on this journey. :)

Fewer than half of the 15-or-so developers working at Vivaldi are old Opera team members, looks like. No, they had no say in the direction Opera took. That was a management decision driven by investor unrest.

Some years back, the former CEO (and co-founder) of Opera wound up selling too many shares to retain control of the company. When his vision and that of the Board of Directors began to diverge too much, he took a less active role. Eventually, he left the company (2011?)

When Opera ASA abandoned the MyOpera community, Jon founded the Vivaldi community for MyOpera refugees. After Opera ASA had been working on the "new" Opera (Chromium engine) for a while and made it clear they were not interested in making a new browser with the capabilities and flexibility of classic Opera, Jon got it in his head that he ought to build a browser he and his friends would like. So he began casting about for a team, and the rest is history.

That's a thumbnail, paraphrased by me, of various articles and posts I have read.

• Thank you for your response!

It's a shame that Presto and Opera 12 were basically trashed for the new WebKit/Blink engine… it was another thing that made Opera unique. But I'm glad that Vivaldi is to the rescue to revive what I loved in my web browser (even if it is Blink). Before Opera 15, they were always interested in customer feedback, and that seems to be the case no more. However the tight community here seems very welcoming. Even on the front page: "We must make a new browser. A browser for ourselves and a browser for our friends." :)

What's actually a shame is that old Opera could never get a broad enough user base to make Presto viable. An engine which is ignored by web developers can never be viable (because too many sites will be broken for it), and an engine which can only cobble together a 2% user share (even though the fifth most popular browser in the world) will always be ignored by developers. This is the true story of the demise of Presto as a desktop browser engine. Opera never had the resources to force it into the mainstream.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.