Browser not responding to Microsoft attempt to make us use Edge.

• I love this browser and am a novice at this browser war but i have read and noticed that Microsoft is saying and has implemented ways to stop the other browsers work in windows 10 saying it is for the children in the schools and forcing all to go and use edge which i hate.

I have installed a git hub work around that helps some but does not work all the time. Some mornings I come on and wait as long as 10 minutes to get on the web because of this, I can go to edge and get on right away. Bull crap I do not want to be forced to use that browser. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I love my Vivaldi want to keep it always.

• @faithkar Hello. Sorry but i do not understand your problem. I have just now tested this by freshly installing Vivaldi Snapshot 1.14.1064.3 (Official Build) (64-bit) into my Windows 10 - 1709 Virtual Machine, copied across my profile's Default folder from Linux, launched V, & observed completely normal behaviour. There was no perceptible blocking attempt from Win10, no hijacked launch of Edge instead, & no abnormal delay of V itself. It all seems completely fine & normal to me. Are you saying that this is NOT how it behaves for you?

• the latest update of Win10 hijacks Vivaldi to use Edge to show a pdf file, they have Edge set as the default viewer

• @stpvid1 No.

1. OP said nothing about PDFs.
    2. I have just done the latest Win10 updates, rebooted the VM, relaunched V, went to my Amex page, logged in, downloaded my latest statement pdf, & I am viewing it right now in V... all exactly as V also behaves for me in my real Linux OS. Edge did not do any hijacks here.

• I don't see what the problem is. Just go into Windows Settings and set Vivaldi as the default browser.

0_1515645485160_Default Browser.png

• @pesala Exactly.

• @faithkar
    Are you talking about the Windows 10 S?

• @faithkar said in Browser not responding to Microsoft attempt to make us use Edge.:

I love this browser and am a novice at this browser war but i have read and noticed that Microsoft is saying and has implemented ways to stop the other browsers work in windows 10 saying it is for the children in the schools and forcing all to go and use edge

Source?

Windows 10 might nag you about using Edge, and may even somewhat-sneakily re-set the default browser back to Edge if you, say, uninstall the browser you previously set as the default. Aside from that, though, there's nothing tantamount to blocking browsers other than Edge from working altogether.

I'm almost afraid to ask what this 'github workaround' you've installed is.

@purgatori I've had Windows10 re-set me to Microsoft defaults (inlcluding Edge) on major updates - like the annual Creators update. I've also run into difficulties at times getting it to accept whatever I wanted as a default handler for the web and certain file types.

At present, it's behaving itself and doing whatever I ask. God knows what will happen with the next update, however.

• Thanks so much to all of you and your responses to my problem. Seems it is just me and my imagination and sorry to take up your time. I can assure you it is real and present and is a problem for me and I have done all the things that everyone suggested in your replies and nothing works. I am thinking about going to Linux and getting away from Microsoft all i can. This is the first time i have ever presented a problem and see that no one has a problem but me. Guess I am not the operator that I should be and at the level of all of you and i respect your efforts and your suggestions. I have to work and keep things going and do not have the luxury of having a lot of time to experiment and need to keep my daily work load going so i guess till i can change i have to and am forced by Microsoft to use the EDGE browser if i want to get anything done. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

• @faithkar Computer problems are indeed real to those experiencing them. Whether other users are having identical or similar problems goes a long way to helping guide exploration of a problem's cause. Your problem description involves one aspect that does seem unique, from what I've observed in various other forum reports regarding Edge versus alternate browsers: the 10-minute wait to connect online with Vivaldi versus Edge's connecting immediately. You also indicated you've installed something from Git Hub, but haven't given any details regarding that 'something'. That makes it hard for others to conclude what it's supposed to be doing (or what it may be doing wrong, if anything).

Since there are so many possible things that can interfere with software operating correctly on a system, it's necessary to pin down as many details as possible about the equipment and software involved before offering theories and remedies about problem causes. As the one having first-hand experience with the problem (since there are apparently no other quite identical reports out there), you're the only one who can communicate the details of your system/software/problem to those who may be able to help.

Some relevant initial information that only you can provide:

1. What Windows 10 version or build number are you running? (Windows Search - about your pc - version)?
    2. What version of Vivaldi are you running? (Vivaldi Help - about - Vivaldi: )?
    3. What are the details of the Git Hub program (name, advertised purpose, etc)?
    4. What is set as Windows' default browser app (Windows Search - default app settings - Web browser - click on the browser name shown: what other names are listed under 'Choose an app'?
    5. Are you attempting to run Vivaldi from a limited user account or an admin user account on the computer?

• @faithkar said in Browser not responding to Microsoft attempt to make us use Edge.:

I am thinking about going to Linux and getting away from Microsoft all i can.

If you feel that is a holistically viable option for you, then after a bit of new-learning / unlearning, you'll have lots of fun. As a bonus, i am prepared to bet all of Ayespy's income for the next year that once in Linux, you will never ever again be burdened with the annoyance of trying to launch Vivaldi & finding instead that Edge launches. ;-)

@steffie Whut? Yer mighty free with my money, aintchee?

• @steffie but you are using a VM Windows not the actual O/S on a PC? so it probably reacts differently too.

• @blackbird thanks for listening and understanding and I know that it is a problem that some others may have not run into but not only wanting to help myself but others that might run into this.
    Here are the answers to the questions you ask of me. Thanks for your concern and time.

1. What Windows 10 version or build number are you running? (Windows Search - about your pc - version)?

Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS build 16299.192

1. What version of Vivaldi are you running? (Vivaldi Help - about - Vivaldi: )?

Vivaldi: 1.13.1008.40 (Stable channel) (32-bit)
    Revision dd2895aa58c2274ad3c791ca3ce191734e515549-

3.What are the details of the Git Hub program (name, advertised purpose, etc)?

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/edgedeflector-default-browser

EdgeDeflector puts the user back in control of their default browser setting. Download EdgeDeflector from GitHub releases, and please do read the installation instructions.

4.What is set as Windows' default browser app (Windows Search - default app settings - Web browser - click on the browser name shown: what other names are listed under 'Choose an app'?

Vavaldi is the chosen default setting.

1. Are you attempting to run Vivaldi from a limited user account or an admin user account on the computer?

Reply admin user account.

any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again

Faith

• @stpvid1 said in Browser not responding to Microsoft attempt to make us use Edge.:

so it probably reacts differently too

Why would it?

Anyway, i [like others here] have not been trying to disavow that you are having a problem... if you tell us you're having a problem, then you are having a problem. All i was trying to do [like others here too] was to indicate that it is clearly not a universal Vivaldi - Win10 problem, thus logically there's something funny going on with your local installation.

As you rightly stated, i'm not running Win10 natively [i abandoned that frustrating OS some years back, for Linux], & even though i can't see why your statement i quoted should be valid, i can't prove it's not. I'll vacate the field now for others more intimately familiar with Win10 than me. I do hope you can all get this annoying misbehaviour resolved. Good luck.

@faithkar There is something else you can do. You can increase the likelihood that Vivaldi will always open in response to a browser call if you access the options to select default apps by file, and to select default apps by protocol, and wherever you see Edge as the default, decide if you want that to open with Vivaldi instead, and if so, click on it and change your default to Vivaldi.

3.What are the details of the Git Hub program (name, advertised purpose, etc)?
    https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/edgedeflector-default-browser
    EdgeDeflector puts the user back in control of their default browser setting. Download EdgeDeflector from GitHub releases, and please do read the installation instructions.

Did you see the update for that utility?
    EdgeDeflector 1.1.1.0 updated

• @faithkar Thanks for the information. It appears you're up to date on Windows and on Vivaldi Stable, and that you should have full access to the necessary things via the admin account. The Git Hub information was also very enlightening.

First, I agree with @ayespy's suggestion to manually verify and set-if-necessary the various default file-type settings to Vivaldi instead of Edge. Windows has sometimes been known to not fully register programs as default without manually making sure all the file-types are cross-checked.

Second, a few more questions:

1. Before you installed EdgeDeflector, where were the links originating which you clicked on and which were force-routed to Edge? (eg: what specific program(s) or source was/were open or in use and in which the links appeared on which you were clicking?)
    2. Since you installed EdgeDeflector, where are the links originating (which program or source) which are still sometimes being force-routed to Edge?
    3. Did you experience 10-minute delays for Vivaldi to connect to the web before you installed EdgeDeflector?
    4. Do the 10-minute delays occur whenever you manually start Vivaldi, or do they occur in response to clicking a link somewhere else while Vivaldi is still closed? If so, where is that link being clicked?
    5. Once Vivaldi is successfully connected to the Internet, do you experience long response delays after you click on links within Vivaldi?

It's my understanding that the auto-prefixing of 'microsoft-edge:' ahead of a linked URL (which EdgeDeflector is intended to stop) occurs currently in Win10 just for links returned by Cortana and some MS core apps. Apparently, what Microsoft is doing is auto-prefixing the clicked URLs delivered by Cortana and a few other core Microsoft apps to force-route them through Edge. EdgeDeflector appears to try to intercept those forced-routings and further re-routes them back to the ordinary default browser apps. I have no idea of the performance impact, if any, of all that multiple intercepting and re-routing in Windows 10, particularly if one clicks on a link via Cortana and it eventually is used via EdgeDeflector to try to auto-open a previously-closed Vivaldi browser. On my own Win10 system, I choose to have Cortana totally shut down, and I don't use a Microsoft account... hence I can't duplicate what happens with URL's clicked from either of those sources.

• Banned

@faithkar Might I suggest that you just install a free PDF reader like Nitro...

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.