Vivaldi for iOS

• Any planning on building it? I was really surprised it's not available.

Yes, I know it has been asked before and I know Apple doesn't allow Chromium on iOS and any browser inside iOS is just a layer over Webkit but, anyway, I consider it quite useful, specially considering all the love you have put into the Bookmarks and new tab window, it would be great to have my bookmarks and sessions available on the go ;). And I think many people think the same and could be a big stopper for people to switch from Chrome or Safari (or Opera).

Thanks 🙂

@almarma It took about 15 years to get an Opera build made that Apple would accept for iOS. With broad enough acceptance and adequate resources, I'm sure Jon will peel off a crew to work on Vivaldi for iOS. But right now there are simply no spare hands (or heads) to work on it.

• @ayespy said in Vivaldi for iOS:

It took about 15 years to get an Opera build made that Apple would accept for iOS

The first iPhone arrived in June 2007, so it's 10 years old. Was Opera building apps for iOS BEFORE it was invented? 😉

I understand there're no spare hands right now, and I'm nobody to complain about it. But I just wanted to explain my view about why I think it's important to consider it too

• @almarma It's almost 2020 ... is iOS made it to the roadmap at least?
    Thanks for all the great work you've done so far! :-))

• Ambassador

@integralsun I cannot imagine there are any spare resources to even think about pre-planning for this yet. Come back in two or three years if you're still using iOS by then.

• @Pesala Even if @integralsun & @almarma are no longer iOS users in 2-3 years, this question has nearly 6,000 views, so plenty others will be & thus still stands as a legitimate request/inquiry.
    Vivaldi's appeal being cross-platform speaks for itself. Why anyone supportive of Vivaldi's increasing success would discourage this demand is simultaneously being clearly unsupportive of future possibilities.

• Ambassador

@ndulgd I am not discouraging this request; just telling it as it is to avoid anyone having unrealistic expectations. I have followed Vivaldi's development from the beginning, especially the feature requests, of which there are currently 2,228.

Every user has his/her favourite things that they would like to see implemented. I know from what Vivaldi team members and insiders (like Ayespy) have said, that this one is not likely to happen any time soon — there are too many barriers to it being done. I was being conservative in saying “check back in two or three years.” See what Ayespy said above.

See also Mobile Vivaldi for iOS

@ndulgd The best way to find out where things currently stand regarding Vivaldi for iOS is to search the Internet for "Jon Vivaldi iOS"

Whenever @jon gets interviewed for an article about Vivaldi on Android, questions about an iOS version ALWAYS come up.... and this recent article is no exception: https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/09/vivaldi-web-browser-finally-arrives-on-mobile/

• I'm sure you must be sick of hearing about it but it is the only thing stopping me from making this my full time, go to browser on all platforms.
    I'm a big portable device user and being able to sync my activity across them all is very compelling. Start on iPhone, continue on iPad and finish up and send on laptop.
    So far I cannot do that with Vivaldi so it becomes the laptop browser I use occasionally for its unique features.
    I refuse to use Google Chrome, I don't like Opera or Firefox but all of those sync across platforms so I'm using the socially responsible Brave browser but I would change to Vivaldi tomorrow if I could.

• I would love to have Vivaldi for iOS myself, though I have basically given up using third party browsers there. Android is a much bigger market, but I expect there to eventually be an iOS version as well. But no signs of it yet.

• As has been mentioned elsewhere before, having a way to access your synced tabs and maybe just open them in Safari would be a good start.

• @Ayespy
    I tried Opera Mini for iOS once. I was not impressed at all. Safari works better.

• Ambassador

as far as I know, and I asked this a lot to them already iOS version is on the pipeline, but I'm not super excited for anything immediate...

• You also have to remember how difficult Apple makes it to implement another browser on iOS. Apple does not want to have any browser running faster than mobile safari - thus all browsers are restricted to using the webkit based renderer.

That'd be fine if Vivaldi is webkit based, but it's not.

In short, unless Apple changes their policy, don't hold your breath for any short term result.

It's a shame, but it's not because of Vivaldi.

• Chrome on iOS has managed to find a way to exists though, and I expect they will just use that (Chromium) as a base, like they did on Android. Getting it through App Review could prove to be tricky though. Worst case scenario Apple decides it doesn't like (aka won't allow) one of the key features of Vivaldi.

• @16patsle said in Vivaldi for iOS:

and I expect they will just use that (Chromium) as a base

Not on iOS. iOS will always us Webkit (Safari) as an engine. So i see no benefit of Vivaldi on iOS expect for bookmarks if you use sync.

• @16patsle said in Vivaldi for iOS:

Chrome on iOS has managed to find a way to exists though, and I expect they will just use that (Chromium) as a base, like they did on Android. Getting it through App Review could prove to be tricky though. Worst case scenario Apple decides it doesn't like (aka won't allow) one of the key features of Vivaldi.

It uses Webkit not Chromium (which is a fork of Webkit from years ago), any browser or app must use Webkit on iOS.

• @Chas4 So what is the purpose of asking for Vivaldi when you cannot use the features? If Apple seeks to control everything, it is time to leave Apple. They are spying just as bad as Google.

@Knuthf Syncing would be the only real benefit, one imagines - that, and seeing a Vivaldi-themed Webkit...

• Community Manager

@jon shares some insights about iOS in the following interview:
    TechCentral interview
    If you watch the video it starts at 19'52''

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.