The latest Vivaldi newbie is here

• Just downloaded V maybe a week ago. I've already got a couple dozen tabs and am thoroughly enjoying the experience. I already have a feature suggestion, so my next stop is the browser category. :) I probably won't be the most active forum member, as I have a pretty busy life IRL, plus most of my online time is either dedicated to Facebook or helping my husband with research, but I hope that I'll be able to be a part of this community anyway! Thanks for the fantastic browser! :smile:

• Welcome to the Forum.

There is a good chance the feature has already been requested. What is it?

@gwen-dragon said in Feature requests for Vivaldi 1.14:

How to make a feature request for Vivaldi

If you think your problem can be solved by a missing feature, please add each feature as a single post at https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/22411/feature-requests-for-vivaldi-1-14/ by hitting the green Reply button at the bottom of the page — not the blue reply link below each post.

• Please search the Feature Requests thread (replacing topic with your topic) first and upvote it if it exists.
    • Add one line in bold as a short title for the feature and 2-3 lines to describe the wanted feature.
    • Do not discuss features, bugs, or support issues in the thread.
    • If you need to, please open a new thread in the other Vivaldi forums.
    • If you want to ask or tell users something, please contact them by chat via their forum profile.

Moderators may remove posts.

• @pesala

Thank you! I'll definitely check the list of requested features to make sure it isn't already there before I post. What I would like to see is an additional option for scrolling through tabs. Right now, you can scroll through them in "recently used" order or in the actual tab order. However, the latter actually scrolls through them in the order they were opened, not in the order in which they've been arranged in your tab bar. Neither of these settings suit what I want, which is to be able to cycle through tabs within each tab stack in their order within the tab stack (or outside of a stack, for that matter, but in the order in which I have arranged them), regardless of when I actually opened those tabs.

I also just thought of another thing, which is that we should be able to rearrange tabs within a stack. I think the only way to accomplish that right now is to unstack everything and then deliberately re-add them one-by-one in order to get them in the exact order you want. Rearranging tabs isn't something one would need to do on a regular basis, probably, so it might not get that many upvotes, or it might be difficult to implement, but it's an idea that could certainly streamline big research projects where all the relevant tabs need to be stacked so the tab bar doesn't get too cluttered. I suppose the only other way I could go about it would be to have a separate window for just those kinds of things where I want to be able to freely rearrange my tabs.

By the way, does the option to resume the previous session when restarting Vivaldi also allow for multiple windows, or will it only be able to remember the session of the last window closed? I think normally browsers fall under the latter category, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't normally use multiple windows, but one never knows when I might need to do so.

• Welcome aboard!

What I would like to see is an additional option for scrolling through tabs. Right now, you can scroll through them in "recently used" order or in the actual tab order. However, the latter actually scrolls through them in the order they were opened, not in the order in which they've been arranged in your tab bar. Neither of these settings suit what I want, which is to be able to cycle through tabs within each tab stack in their order within the tab stack (or outside of a stack, for that matter, but in the order in which I have arranged them), regardless of when I actually opened those tabs.

That's definitely something I'd like too see implemented as well. I think both of the existing ways tabs are ordered when scrolling/switching through them are unintuitive.

I also just thought of another thing, which is that we should be able to rearrange tabs within a stack. I think the only way to accomplish that right now is to unstack everything and then deliberately re-add them one-by-one in order to get them in the exact order you want. Rearranging tabs isn't something one would need to do on a regular basis, probably, so it might not get that many upvotes, or it might be difficult to implement, but it's an idea that could certainly streamline big research projects where all the relevant tabs need to be stacked so the tab bar doesn't get too cluttered. I suppose the only other way I could go about it would be to have a separate window for just those kinds of things where I want to be able to freely rearrange my tabs.

This is already available through the Windows Panel; though, again, the implementation is a bit counter-intuitive (or perhaps just buggy?) in my opinion. You can re-arrange tabs using this interface, even when they are part of a stack. The problem is that the new order of tabs you have rearranged isn't reflected in the Windows panel itself, even though it will have taken effect in the tab bar.

By the way, does the option to resume the previous session when restarting Vivaldi also allow for multiple windows, or will it only be able to remember the session of the last window closed? I think normally browsers fall under the latter category, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't normally use multiple windows, but one never knows when I might need to do so.

If you close Vivaldi by individually closing all the open Windows, then the session manager will only remember the last window you had open. If, on the other hand, you close Vivaldi using File>Exit or Ctrl+Q, then any windows you had open will be restored the next time you launch Vivaldi.

Note, though, that if you click the trash can icon in the top-right corner of the window (by default), then you will find that it remembers any windows you closed last session and their associated tabs, allowing you to restore these manually.

• @purgatori
    Oh, thank you very much! I had actually not taken much notice of the Windows tab yet, so I appreciate that tip, as well as the one about closing the browser. Even though the multi-window method isn't my personal habit, that might be a useful trick in the future. :thumbsup_tone2:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.