Tabs

• Hi, is there any way to make the tabs scroll when there are many and we want access to the last one in the top bar, instead of make them becoming smaller and smaller ?

• No. Try enabling Tab-stacking in Tools, Settings. That's currently the best way to manage a lot of tabs, but be aware that a new process is launched for each tab that you open. Vivaldi may not like running 100 tabs like Opera 12.17 or earlier could do.

Twenty's plenty.

• "Vivaldi may not like running 100 tabs like Opera 12.17 or earlier could do."

Don't know if Vivaldi will like it, but most machines sure as hell won't.

• @Pesala:

Twenty's plenty.

It's barely enough for light-hearted casual browsing, particularly if you frequent imageboards, online galleries, etc., and it sure as heck isn't anywhere near enough for the heavy internet user Opera 12 and (according to the ethos the devs seem to have put out) Vivaldi have been directed at.

I dearly hope they manage to find a way around this somehow because if they intend to replace Opera 12 there's no way they can manage that without supporting large tab loads. Fail that and the main thing that'd make the browser different from the others is lost. There are already customizable modern browsers (Maxthon for example) that are rich in features, but not a single one can handle a tab load like old Opera could.

• I would assume there is a reason for all of that as well… coding and webpages are getting more and more complex, as well as image intensive, so a tab load of 100+ (whaaa?) is gonna load any browser to its capacity...

You say 20 tabs is a lighthearted casual browsing... wow... I guess I am doing something wrong.

• While I wouldn't consider myself a "heavy tab user"(*) I can occasionally rack up a couple of dozen tabs without effort… usually when browsing newsfeeds, a news page or forum and opening a background page for each story that catches my eye. Mind you, I usually then work my way through that set of pages before going on to doing anything else, so dealing with more than 20-30 is very rare for me. In Opera, I would often open a new window in that case.

(*) I like this term better than the "power user" one these guys tend to give themselves - as mentioned in another thread there is confusion between "power user" meaning a lot of customisation, keyboard use, shortcuts and tweaks or just someone who opens a lot of pages at once - I mildly dabble in both categories.

• @Grumbleskin:

I would assume there is a reason for all of that as well… coding and webpages are getting more and more complex, as well as image intensive, so a tab load of 100+ (whaaa?) is gonna load any browser to its capacity...

You say 20 tabs is a lighthearted casual browsing... wow... I guess I am doing something wrong.

@mossman:

While I wouldn't consider myself a "heavy tab user"(*) I can occasionally rack up a couple of dozen tabs without effort… usually when browsing newsfeeds, a news page or forum and opening a background page for each story that catches my eye. Mind you, I usually then work my way through that set of pages before going on to doing anything else, so dealing with more than 20-30 is very rare for me. In Opera, I would often open a new window in that case.

(*) I like this term better than the "power user" one these guys tend to give themselves - as mentioned in another thread there is confusion between "power user" meaning a lot of customisation, keyboard use, shortcuts and tweaks or just someone who opens a lot of pages at once - I mildly dabble in both categories.

15-25 is where my mother and father (pensioners) tend to end up at while just doing their email and news runs, and my mother especially barely knows enough about computers to get even that done. =)

To clarify myself a bit, I didn't necessarily mean having dozens and dozens of tabs open all the time, continuously, just that the browser needs to survive a heavy workload when asked to do so. This happens often when working with complicated forums, image boards/online galleries, wikis, newsfeeds/news pages, when dealing with a large amount of cross referencing data (as an example when helping with the development of a racing simulation I often wound up needing to cross reference between 50-70 different tabs while seeking and compiling information), etc. Eventually the tab load will lighten once you're done with what you're doing, but while you're trying to get some work done it's important to have the browser capable of keeping up. So having multiple tabs open without eating all of the resources available, and releasing those resources once you close down the tabs are both important.

Funnily enough following my resource usage while using different browsers, I found that with most browsers it wasn't really the RAM that gets problematic, it was the swap. The swap usage had a tendency to increase quickly when working with lots of processes and lots of tabs, and most browsers are shit at releasing their resources afterwards, forcing a reboot to get back up to speed (the symptoms of this also vary, some browsers start giving render errors, black images etc., some just start slowing down, some crash…). Vivaldi seems pretty good about that so far, Maxthon is another pretty good one. Vivaldi certainly uses a lot of memory with high tab loads, but it also seems to release resources really well once you close down. A bigger problem are the massive slow downs you get when opening and closing tabs, or even just scrolling up and down a page once you get over a certain limit. Opening a similar load in Opera 12 today results in a much lighter resource footprint and a more responsive browser overall than any "thread per tab" browser has for me at least. Of course the incompatibilities and security hazards pretty much prevent full-time usage, but hopefully Vivaldi will get to a point where it'll manage to compete in that regard. It already feels like a very good browser overall, even in this tech preview state. =)

EDIT: Oh, and how getting 100+ tabs in Opera 12 usually went for me: A work load of about 50-70 tabs with about 60 permanent tabs spread across three browser windows, each for their own specific purpose. Rather than using quick dials or bookmarks and going through them periodically, I had most of my frequently used sites open in their own tabs/tab stacks all the time. I've since had to more or less cut that habit because it's simply not possible with modern browsers, but I still wish I could go back to it because having to open them up constantly anyway just eats up too many clicks and keyboard commands and gets tedious, was much nicer to just scroll through my tabs with "Next tab"... =P

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.