Are there any plans for 'Floating Video Pop-out Window' feature for the next release?

• I saw this awesome feature request which allow us to watch any video in the new window.
    I would like to know what chances of this request to be added before the next release?
    I love this browser and I use this feature in some other browsers. This opportunity is really great. I just can not wait to see this feature in my favorite browser. It gained almost 150+ votes. How difficult is it to add this feature to the browser and is there any chance to see it in the next version?

• @awlincoln My best guess is that it is difficult to add, and we won't see it for a long time yet. It has been voted for many times on multiple feature request lists. It's only got a lot of votes because Opera has this feature. I don't know how useful it actually is to have a video blocking the page that you're trying to read, or trying to work while watching a video

You can play videos in a WebPanel, if you want some music while you work, but you have to leave the panel open.

Or, you can tile the current tab with the video tab.

@awlincoln Zero chance that it would be included with the next release, it hasn't been started on or to my knowledge even discussed, and yes it is a difficult feature to add.

Sync and Mail (also difficult features) are top priority at the moment, along with fixes aimed at just getting reliable video reproduction on all platforms.

• Fun fact RE popout video: there's already a chrome flag for this. Go to vivaldi://flags/#enable-picture-in-picture and turn it on. It doesn't do anything right now, but if I'm reading the chrome roadmap correctly, enabling that flag will let you use the feature the moment it becomes ready. If things go well on the chrome side, vivaldi might just get this feature without requiring too much work.

You can follow development here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=726619

• I've tried similar features offered by both Opera and Firefox, but was never all that impressed. Having a floating 'window' that you can't resize, and have to re-position when it occludes content is not all that helpful. I'm not against the feature being added if it makes people happy, but I think that the functionality already offered by Vivaldi's chromeless-UI toggle, when combined with a good window manager (i.e., one that let's you 'tile' windows), is much nicer. E.g.:

Imgur

Now, if it were possible to toggle the chromeless UI on a per-window basis that would be even nicer, as would some ability to force videos to occupy the entirety of the space within a window---something which, for example, Netflix videos already do, but YouTube videos do not. In fact there was a nice little bug on the Windows version of Vivaldi that would do just that if you happened to F11 out of a full-screen video; it might even still be there, but it's definitely not present in the Linux version, unfortunately. :(

• @lonm "Strange" people work at chromium.
    There was a perfectly working flag to expose PIP to extensions but they removed/broken around chr54 xD
    Some extensions still do the work, but not everywhere as is more a "workaround" than a native solution (like the flag did)

• @lonm said in Are there any plans for 'Floating Video Pop-out Window' feature for the next release?:

Fun fact RE popout video: there's already a chrome flag for this. Go to vivaldi://flags/#enable-picture-in-picture and turn it on. It doesn't do anything right now, but if I'm reading the chrome roadmap correctly, enabling that flag will let you use the feature the moment it becomes ready. If things go well on the chrome side, vivaldi might just get this feature without requiring too much work.

You can follow development here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=726619

Great news. I hope it will reduce a large amount of work for Vivaldi developers.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.