I'm afraid I had to give up on Vivaldi on Linux

• I'm using Vivaldi on two computers - my laptop with ubuntu 16.04 LTS and my desktop with 14.04 LTS. However, on both machines, I was experiencing issues that seem to be related to Vivaldi. The laptop has a Nvidia Quadro video card. At some point, while using Vivaldi, the screen starts to flicker diagonally. It happens when there are a lot of tabs opened and I decide to start another browser. It looked like a hardware issue, but the problem stopped when I stopped using Vivaldi.

The issue on my desktop was even more drastic. The whole Gnome interface would stall at a random point when I open a web page element and only the mouse is moving. The only option was a restart. I'm afraid that I lack the ability to troubleshoot the issues in detail, but they did stop when I switched to a different browser. I do suspect that it may be related to a collision with Teamviewer that I have installed on both machines.

I love the functionality of Vivaldi and still use it on a daily basis on Windows, but I had to abandon it on Linux. I really hope that the next versions will have this sorted out and will be glad to go back.

I'm also curious if other people are experiencing similar issues.

happens on some hardware or drivers. Depends on GPU and drivers and Hardware acceleration.
    See https://labs.gwendragon.de/blog/Web/Browser/Vivaldi/slow-or-flickering-video-with-vivaldi-on-linux

For better acceleration you need to install package chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra and check if you have activated OpenGL 2 in your display settings (cant remember which GNOME setting that is).

• @hellias said in I'm afraid I had to give up on Vivaldi on Linux:

I'm also curious if other people are experiencing similar issues

No. I also use TeamViewer [also AnyDesk & just recently found NoMachine]. I use V [SS & Stable] on my Tower & Lappy. I use the Intel integrated graphics in Tower [removed the NVidia GPU ~year ago due to unsolvable reliability hassles (but unrelated to V)], whilst Lappy is more complicated coz it seems somehow to use Integrated AND also NVidia [i have never understood it]. I've only been using Manjaro since late November, before that i ran openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE for ~5 months on both machines [& V, & TV] also without the problems you described. Before that i ran Maui on both machines, again without your problems.

• Wow. I've not encountered issues like that when using Vivaldi on either of my Linux machines; perhaps because I'm using an (integrated) Intel GPU on the desktop, and an old AMD card on the laptop. I wonder, have you tested to see whether you encounter the same issues when using Chrome?

• Actually, both machines use Nvidia GPUs. The laptop is with Nvidia Quadro and the desktop is with GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost. No Intel video for me. Chrome and Opera do not cause such issues.

Vivaldi makes much use of GPU and OpenGL.

Try Enabling override GPU blacklist.

• Open chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist
    • Activate
    • Restart Vivaldi

• @hellias said in I'm afraid I had to give up on Vivaldi on Linux:

Actually, both machines use Nvidia GPUs. The laptop is with Nvidia Quadro and the desktop is with GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost. No Intel video for me. Chrome and Opera do not cause such issues.

That's what I figured. I've heard terrible things about the state of Nvidia drivers for Linux.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.