When selecting the Vivaldi window, it does not respond for several seconds



  • I'm using the latest version of vivaldi stable (1.13.1008.40) and I have been having a problem for a few days.

    When I switch to another application from the task manager, when I go back to vivaldi, it stops responding for about 8 seconds, I can't do anything, like selecting another window or selecting text, it doesn't even change the cursor when you put it over a link or a form.

    I tried to uninstall it, install previous versions, deleted all plugins, restarted the computer and nothing works.

    I finally installed Vivaldi snapshot 1.14 and it works perfectly, so I don't know if it's a bug from version 1.13 or something from my system.

    I have Linux Mint 18.1 Serena with a 4.4.0-104-generic kernel.

    Does anyone have any clue what this problem might be?



  • Had the same in early snapshots. With the latest snapshot on opensuse leap 42.3 it works. BUT if you start the browser and it opens 3 tabs from a previous session and you want to close those tabs, I still get a lag of around 5 sec. I think Vivaldi uses some background loading that has to finish before one can close a tab.

    How many tabs did you have open?



  • @skeptic said in When selecting the Vivaldi window, it does not respond for several seconds:

    I tried to uninstall it, install previous versions, deleted all plugins, restarted the computer and nothing works.
    I finally installed Vivaldi snapshot 1.14 and it works perfectly

    Yes but you did not explicitly say if you also tested Stable with a virgin profile... thus i'm going to intuit that you didn't. The improved behaviour you observed in your newly-installed Snapshot came about not only coz by definition SS's have newer code incorporating bug-fixes & new development, but also as a simple fact that if this was your first SS installation then it ipso facto created a virgin profile.

    The behaviour you described did not happen for me in Stable [admittedly i only rarely launch this] or SS [which i use day & night intensively] in Maui, openSUSE Tumbleweed, or now in Manjaro. I strongly suspect that your Stable's profile is corrupt. If you test with new profile & it behaves, then [if you wish] you could incrementally copy [one file at the time, then test] your old profile's bookmarks, notes, current & last tabs & sessions, history, custom dictionary...



  • @rigo Usually between 20 and 30, but I tried leaving only one and it worked the same way.



  • @steffie This is a good clue, so I tried to rename ".config/vivaldi" and it worked nice again.

    Then, I have been discarding one by one everything that was suspicious and finally I have found what produces this effect, the ".config/vivaldi/Default/History" file.

    The file has a size of 120MB, when I have deleted it vivaldi has created a new one of 120KB, but maybe is not a size problem, the file could be corrupted.



  • @skeptic Excellent -- good outcome... + you've now learned a handy troubleshooting technique in case there's a "next time".



  • @skeptic Thanks! I was having the same problem and deleting the History file resolved it.



  • I've too have had the same behavior with "freezing" so I just tried the trick above so I hope it fixes the issue...

    Using Stable...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.