A better background page progress indicator

• I don't like the current progress indicator because it is not consistent with the style of vivaldi. So I made the little mock-up. [img size=200]http://i.imgur.com/jie3vcT.gif[/img] What do you guys think?

• @Sajadi:

Sounds like a reasonable idea, would be even better with the user being able to customize the progress color :D

Agreed.

• Also would be nice to set to how long site loaded in background should "blink" like in 7nial proposition :)

• Vivaldi Translator

I already comment it on the blog.

but this (colour) could/should be when coloured tabs are active. When not it just stay with progress indicator as we have now :)

and about colours… I would prefer just to follow schema from coloured tabs :) no need to set colours (at least I do not need to set it myself)

• @ahoj1234:

I already comment it on the blog.

but this (colour) could/should be when coloured tabs are active. When not it just stay with progress indicator as we have now :)

and about colours… I would prefer just to follow schema from coloured tabs :) no need to set colours (at least I do not need to set it myself)

Totally agree. Let's just hope the developers will take our advices.

• One thing I would like to see different with the progress indicator is the 2px white space around the moving bar. I wish it wasn't there. The text field could be shorter [edit: I mean less pixels high] and there would also be one less level of distraction for the eye.

• Vivaldi Team

@7nial:

I don't like the current progress indicator because it is not consistent with the style of vivaldi.
    So I made the little mock-up. What do you guys think?

Thank you for taking time to mock that up! Animated examples are always welcome. :)
    We are still iterating on the progress indicator. There were some issues that made it impossible to achieve smooth animation.

A couple of things to consider:

• Some favicons have a color that makes them invisible against colored background.
    • Some colors (red/green) are often used to convey information about state (good/bad).
    • When the browser is restored with a session featuring many tabs, there will be many progress indicators visible at once.

• How about this:

@helmers:

• Some favicons have a color that makes them invisible against colored background.

The color, like the in-address-bar progress indicate, could be picked from the favicons, and will always be lighter than the original favicon color.

@helmers:

• When the browser is restored with a session featuring many tabs, there will be many progress indicators visible at once.

So this is a performance issue? Maybe we don't display progress indicator for restored tabs? Would be better if Vivaldi have delayed tab restore like Opera does.

Another thing to consider is when there are many tabs open, the tab can be very narrow so the progress is not obvious.

• Vivaldi Team

@helmers:

Some favicons have a color that makes them invisible against colored background.

@7nial:

The color, like the in-address-bar progress indicate, could be picked from the favicons, and will always be lighter than the original favicon color.

This is true. But the more colors, boxes and borders we add, the more complexity. Of course, there are always tradeoffs, and it can always be argued that in this case it is worth adding an extra box.

@helmers:

When the browser is restored with a session featuring many tabs, there will be many progress indicators visible at once.

@7nial:

So this is a performance issue? Maybe we don't display progress indicator for restored tabs? Would be better if Vivaldi have delayed tab restore like Opera does.

My point here was that you risk ending up with many(30+?) progress bars, and they add cognitive load. We do not want to distract you from the active tab. It is a balancing act.

Apart from that we are still iterating on the background tab progress indicator, your feedback is welcome. :)

Henrik Granaas-Helmers
    Designer, Vivaldi Technologies

• @helmers:

–snip--

Apart from that we are still iterating on the background tab progress indicator, your feedback is welcome. :)

--
    Henrik Granaas-Helmers

I really liked the new progress indicator in the new snapshot! Good Job!

Although I think it is not quite as noticeable as I would like it to be.

• Cool! I hadn't noticed the progress-bar-on-tab until reading this thread (so I quickly fired off a bunch of middle-click links from this page and was impressed).

But it reminds me of something I find slightly annoying which I don't see mentioned: all the Vivaldi.net pages I just spawned in the background show a blank thumbnail instead of the page preview - even though they're supposed to have loaded in the background. The preview is only generated when I visit the tab…

Since I do most of my browsing by opening tabs in the background, can this behaviour be fixed, please?

• Vivaldi Team

@7nial:

I really liked the new progress indicator in the new snapshot! Good Job!
    Although I think it is not quite as noticeable as I would like it to be.

Thanks! You are not the only one who thinks that. Eventually this is something that we want to let you customize, until then we need to find an acceptable balance.

@mossman:

The preview is only generated when I visit the tab…

This is not by design. Generating thumbnails a lot more complicated than it sounds, and I think we have a long way to go. It is easy to be more aggressive with thumbnail generation, but then we use too much processor power and memory. Eventually we will have an elegant solution for it, but I am not aware of another rewrite in the near future.

Henrik Granaas-Helmers

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.