Seeking ability to drag and open links -- Vivaldi Configuration Issue

• New to Vivaldi. A crucial function I had from Firefox is using an extension called Super Drag to left click and hold a link, drag it a short distance, and release it to open in a new tab.

I installed https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/super-drag-for-google-chr/dlknjglebgomjjfaijjnebecgjbfjihk?hl=en-US on Vivalid. It didn't work. I tried a second one, and it worked one time immediately after installing and my first click in the browser being to click-and-drag, but never again.

I verified that the linked extension above worked in Chrome properly. This means Vivaldi is interfering with the behavior somewhere. And I don't know what I'd be looking for to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas on Vivaldi interfering with clicks/drags or with links? The behavior in Vivaldi is that clicking on a link and dragging forces highlighting within that link. (The major browsers let you highlight within a link by using Ctrl+Click I believe; Vivaldi appears to force highlighting with just a simple Click.)

I am aware of using Vivaldi gestures and using RIGHT click to open links, but I don't want to overwrite muscle memory. Especially because I still use a firefox fork as my primary browser which would use a left click and drag still. And even if gestures could be made to be done with a left click, that sounds like it would lead into terrible conflicts because Vivaldi may not be smart enough to know I am using it to open a particular link vs highlighting in a text field like on the forums and deciding to open a search result or something.

• You can drag up and down and release, and the first extension link you provided works then. Dragging left and right is always highlighting, it's been the default behaviour on Opera too.

Either contact the developer and ask for an option to open new tabs on dragging top/bottom instead of new search, or recode the extension yourself. The chance the Vivaldi devs will do something about it is pretty slim, although you can submit a feature request for an option to disable selecting link texts on left/right drag.

• Ah, I see. Odd that in Chrome I can open the link by dragging left/right. But in Vivaldi, it does highlighting.

Nonetheless, Vivaldi is flawed with the extension anyhow. I'm dragging up/down, and it shows a cute little graphic with a nice circle-with-a-slash θ (like that, but diagonal slash) to indicate the intended action is disabled, like trying to drag something from one program to another when it's not supported.

But this is definitely a flaw with Vivaldi given it works as expected in Chrome. Hence: What flag(s) can I disable in Vivaldi to fix it? Edit: oops, posted that before I read your entire post. (Got distracted by jumping into Chrome to double check it behaved properly.) What is the avenue for submitting a feature request?

Edit 2: Actually, I think the extension fails completely in Vivaldi and it was instead me changing vivaldi://flags/#enable-touch-drag-drop that gets drag and drop... I changed it from Default to Enabled (not sure what the "Default" is) just in case that allowed me to drag and drop links. Gonna try with it Disabled, see what happens.

Edit 3: Ooops, through my messing, I had both extensions disabled. I re-enabled the linked extension, and set the flag in the paragraph above to be Disabled, and now I can get drag and drop opening by going up/down. It makes browsing tolerable to just change the direction I drag in at least. Still interested in submitting the feature request to be able to disable the highlighting - it's rare I've ever wanted to copy partial links.

How to make a feature request for Vivaldi

If you think your problem can be solved by a missing feature, please add a single request at https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/22411/feature-requests-for-vivaldi-1-14/ by hitting the green Reply button at the bottom of the page — not the blue reply link below each post.

• Please search the Feature Requests thread (replacing topic with your topic) first and upvote it if it exists.
    • Add one line in bold as a short title for the feature and 2-3 lines to describe the wanted feature.
    • Do not discuss features, bugs, or support issues in the thread.
    • If you need to, please open a new thread in the other Vivaldi forums.
    • If you want to ask or tell users something, please contact them by chat via their forum profile.

Moderators may remove posts.

• By the way, one thing should be noted. You can do this without any extension if you drag the link up or down and drop it on the address field, on any existing tab, or on an empty space in the tab bar (which will create a new tab). Of course you have to drag a little farther, but doing this native makes sense, and you have all possible options.

• @exaskryz Good morning. I was also a Super Drag user in Firefox. In Vivaldi, I have found this extension and it works almost the same (for links, text (which I drag the most), pictures, etc.). Try it out and see if it helps you :

DragIt! 1.61
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dragit/bnmedfjfiggbacggokfddhocaignedbk

• @luetage said in Seeking ability to drag and open links -- Vivaldi Configuration Issue:

By the way, one thing should be noted. You can do this without any extension if you drag the link up or down and drop it on the address field, on any existing tab, or on an empty space in the tab bar (which will create a new tab). Of course you have to drag a little farther, but doing this native makes sense, and you have all possible options.

Aye, but that's a long drag. If I wanted to do such elaborate motions, I'd rather do Ctrl+Click or end up doing a Vivaldi Right-Click Gesture. Maybe if I was on a 1024x768 monitor this would be good.

@vongalin said in Seeking ability to drag and open links -- Vivaldi Configuration Issue:

@exaskryz Good morning. I was also a Super Drag user in Firefox. In Vivaldi, I have found this extension and it works almost the same (for links, text (which I drag the most), pictures, etc.). Try it out and see if it helps you :

DragIt! 1.61
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dragit/bnmedfjfiggbacggokfddhocaignedbk

I found this one, and it ended up with the same problems as Super Drag for Chrome for me. I'll flip back over to it and see if it works any better, but it sounds like it wouldn't because Vivaldi is taking priority on left/right Left-Click drags. Edit: No good, whatever its default settings are for drag up and drag down (save link to clipboard??) is not letting me open new links. Super Drag for Chrome works to let me open new tabs with dragging up and down, so I'll stick with that.

Thanks to @Gwen-Dragon and @luetage for the links on feature request.

Slight bug that may need its own thread if its not known - completely off topic. Doing a manual @-tag at someone is showing (what I assume) is a list of names off the page and it is not possible to scroll down any further to see it. See image which is a screencap of the bottom of my browser and my taskbar (which is on bottom of my screen). https://i.imgur.com/nv41Lbb.png

• @exaskryz If all you want to do is open a link in a new tab or a new background tab, assign a mouse gesture.

0_1513790213894_Opening Links in New Tab.png

I never noticed the manual @-tag behaviour before. That's clearly not a forum bug, but a feature.

Typing @ alone displays the usernames of everyone who has posted in the current thread,

0_1513790484940_Thread Posters.png

Any other following letters list users with forumnames beginning with those letters, e.g. @Aye will show these usernames.

0_1513790512988_User List.png

@- will list too many to fit until you type some more letters.

• @pesala said in Seeking ability to drag and open links -- Vivaldi Configuration Issue:

@exaskryz If all you want to do is open a link in a new tab or a new background tab, assign a mouse gesture.

0_1513790213894_Opening Links in New Tab.png

I never noticed the manual @-tag behaviour before. That's clearly not a forum bug, but a feature.

Typing @ alone displays the usernames of everyone who has posted in the current thread,

0_1513790484940_Thread Posters.png

Any other following letters list users with forumnames beginning with those letters, e.g. @Aye will show these usernames.

0_1513790512988_User List.png

@- will list too many to fit until you type some more letters.

Hi, yes, I know about the right click gesture. That's not a left click gesture like what I'm looking for. This has been mentioned already by myself at least a couple of times.

If there is a way to do gestures with the left click, I'll consider that as potentially serviceable. I only need the single gesture of dragging a link a short distance and opening it in a new tab. I have no desire to use gestures for anything else and in fact have removed all of them from the gestures settings.

Also the bug isn't that the @ appears, it's that it appears off the page when typing at the bottom of the text box. If I press Enter a dozen times to make new lines, move back up to the line with previous text, then I can see the @ pop up properly. It is a bug that it is appearing below the visible area of the edit box when typing on the bottom line. It's actually a little nonsensical for someone to think the @ feature alone with the ability to tag someone's name could ever be construed as a bug. I would expect the name list to appear just like any Windows Context Menu (and I assume OSX and Linux) where you right click. If you right click too close to the bottom of the screen, rather than the top-left of the menu appearing at your cursor, it is the bottom-left of the menu appearing at your cursor. This avoids the problem of the menu being displayed off screen. (It is also true when you right click too close to the right side of your screen that it will instead appear to the left of your cursor, so as to not make part of the menu appear off the screen.)

I wanted to give an update regarding current status using extensions like Super Drag. It appears it will only work on links that are one-line long. Otherwise, Vivaldi's drag-to-highlight-part-of-it behavior seems to kick in for links that span multiple lines, such as Facebook Trending posts. I cannot drag in any direction to open those links into new tabs, which is problematic.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.