Mod: simplified address bar & visual window panel

  • Hi, I've made some tweaks to the browser according to my own preference. Bash scripts are copied from the pinned threads in this section. Features include

    • Hide address bar by default, shows when focused or by moving the cursor to the top of the browser.
    • Moved tab bar to the window panel, it is recommended to set tab bar position to the same position as the panel.
    • (Linux) Merged menu icon with panel when native window is enabled.

    Currently there're no settings available but I'm planning to add a settings dialog in the future. However, this mod relies on the structure of the tab bar which has changed several times in the past, so it is not guaranteed to work when Vivaldi is updated. Use it at your own risk.

    Please comment below if you have any suggestions or feature requests.


    Linux: sudo ./patch-linux
    Mac: ./patch-osx
    Windows: Follow this thread

    alt text

  • This mod looks really nice.
    Some notes:

    • The drop-down address bar looks like it would mesh well with the browser in fullscreen. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is even possible to do right now.
    • You might want to add an instruction that "Show Tab Thumbnails" must be enabled in order for the tabs to show up in the sidebar
    • Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug that can crash the browser dom if you enable full-screen with the window panels open. Though that might be due to a snapshot issue or some other mod on my end.

  • Thanks a lot for sharing!!! :thumbsup:
    This is the perfect setup for a small screen device like a nettop!! :slight_smile:

  • When I install this mod with bat file mentioned in installation in Windows, but I get this error. I don't know JS or CSS, what is wrong with the installation? I changed the path of modded folder and vivaldi folder.


  • @batu I have no idea what the error says, but clearly something is wrong with your implementation of the script. No UI at all only happens if you have a major mistake in there. Since I tried OPs code and it worked, the error is clearly on your side. Try to implement it without the help of any batch files first. If it works, you can go on and automate it.

  • @luetage I tried again, copied .json, custom.css and custom.js files to "versionNo > resources > vivaldi" and removed browser.html (because after running the script, browser file was becoming backupfile in same folder). But same error happened. It says file could not be found, it could be deleted or moved.

  • @batu Well that's wrong, never delete browser.html. I have no idea what json file you are copying, but it has no place in your Vivaldi directory. And the custom.css and custom.js files don't belong in the same directory. Your best bet is to install Vivaldi anew and to follow the directions from this thread
    to the letter.

    Installing Vivaldi anew will not delete any of your preferences/bookmarks/etc., these files are stored outside the application folder. It just ensures that your Vivaldi application is untouched and in working order.

Log in to reply

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.