Questions and Complaints about local forums - Portuguese

• The main question and complaint is that after having be created a subcategory, called "Off topic", in these Forums, there is an increasing (and perhaps abusive) amount of posts that do not obey the use of the Portuguese language. Would I be wrong to check and even complain about it?

The main reason that leads me to this attitude is not my personal disadvantage in dealing with the English language. I deal with the use of this language without much difficulty, although it is not much improved. Both to read (and understand) and to write.

The main reason is that this seems against the main reason why this subcategory (and all others of the kind) were created. This goes against the motive of its creation, IMO, which is to attract users with greater deficiencies in English and are speakers of Portuguese.

If we visit the browser's "Categories" link, if we look below and read "Local," we can see the promise and / or purpose of why these categories exist: "Go local and talk about Vivaldi IN YOUR LANGUAGE" . As I see it, the growing number of posts written in English, in addition to going against the clearly defined promise, also runs counter to the consideration that Vivaldi spends financial resources on it. It really goes to disobedience.

In addition, IMO, any subcategory created under the heading "Local - Portuguese", as the aforementioned "Off topic", would be subject to the same regulation: the language to be used is Portuguese. Any subject published, see more strongly about Vivaldi (company and / or browser) or recreational. or futile as it may be, would be subject to the same rule.

I do not know if the Local - Portuguese still has an "owner" and if this subject that I am trying to develop is under his (of the owner) authority, as it seems to me still to be in Spanish one. This is an aspect of which I learned in the old structure of the Forums, where it appeared. Would it still exist, in Portuguese one, and if so, could the owner dictate how it has to be?

In any case, it seems to me that if there is a divergence, everything must be clarified by a higher instance, so that I can verify whether my opinion should prevail by a higher decision, or should I bow down and conform to what, except for a better judgment, it seems to me to be out of line.

• @quinca71 I don't see any English posts there now. Where are they?

Perhaps the forum should be renamed from "Off-topic" to "Fora do assunto" or whatever it should be in Portuguese?

I know that I once found myself replying to a Portuguese thread in the Off-topic forum, believing it to be in the default English forum because the full forum path was not visible when zoomed in. All I could see was "Off-topic."

• El foro en español ciertamente está bastante desértico, a pesar que seguro hay muchos usuarios hispano hablantes (el español es el segundo idioma más hablado, después del chino).
    La vida en este foro principalmente es en inglés, también se encuentran muchos nuevos mensajes en japonés, alemán y incluso en árabe. Incluso en portugués veo a menudo mensajes nuevos.
    Pero sí resulta algo extraño que los foros locales no tengan también un apartado de off-topics, sólo presente en inglés

• @pesala

My complaints, by no means, do not relate or reach you in any way. If you have patience and pick up one of my Portuguese posts on the controversial subject, you will see that you are completely justified to me. I even raised the hypothesis that your intervention would have happened because you thought the author was using the inappropriate language and you tried to help him instead of leading him to a reprimand.

• @catweazle

Yes, but, pardon me, this topic is running in a scope that does not have Spanish as the appropriate language. Although I admire and love the sonority of the Spanish language, in addition to other important aspects. Like, outside of Portuguese, it is the best language among all the other ones, for me, as for speaking, listening, reading and writing.

• @pesala said in Questions and Complaints about local forums - Portuguese:

I don't see any English posts there now. Where are they?

If you go through the list of contents, you will see how many titles will enter English, when they should enter Portuguese. And if you read them daily, posts by posts, you'll see how many answers and / or references, which should be made in Portuguese, go unnecessarily in English.
    If you go back in the controversial post and take an overview, you'll see how it continued. This is enough to justify my statements.

• @quinca71 said in Questions and Complaints about local forums - Portuguese:

@catweazle

Yes, but, pardon me, this topic is running in a scope that does not have Spanish as the appropriate language. Although I admire and love the sonority of the Spanish language, in addition to other important aspects. Like, outside of Portuguese, it is the best language among all the other ones, for me, as for speaking, listening, reading and writing.

Yes but not very practical in the technological, scientific or mathematical field. There the Spanish becomes tongue twister

@quinca71 we rely on native speakers of the languages in the various local forums to alert us to inappropriate comments. If you see languages other than Portuguese being used in the local forum where they don't belong, please flag them for arbitration, and will will take a look. I purposely do not read or monitor local forums, because I don't understand the languages used, and haven't the time to translate them. I review a few hundred English-language comments every day, and that's all I really have time for. So if you see an inappropriate post, please flag it for moderation. Then I will look at it, remove it if it's improper, and if necessary, translate it so that I can understand what the problem is.

• @quinca71 The only titles that I see in English are the announcement threads, which are presumably just copies, although the announcements themselves are in English.

• @ayespy

Thank you very much. The content of your response outweighs the best that I expected to have.

• @pesala said in Questions and Complaints about local forums - Portuguese:

@quinca71 The only titles that I see in English are the announcement threads, which are presumably just copies, although the announcements themselves are in English.

I understand that snapshots can come in English; and announcements may and perhaps need to be entered in English. They are an addition that local Portuguese "administrators" have chosen to do, to benefit the more advanced local readers who choose to go beyond "rice and beans", by using a local expression. It is a special care of their part and deserves applause.

The titles of the list of the forum local, let"s say... "on topic"... need to be examined by a native speaker with good general culture, to know where there have had inconveniences even in the middle of titles. The general published posts, also needs examinations alike, to detect where words or groups of words have satisfactory expression in Portuguese, where the term in English is strictly needed.

The recently created "Off topic" does not deserve even comment from my part. It has become, in my personal and strict opinion, an added excrescence, without at least setting the path to its location. Now, seems fixed. I regret having trusted those who created this excrescence, although the little or no power that I have could hardly try to prevent it. At least my protests would remain recorded. Now, "Inês is dead."

• What's the problem really? You got your answer: Flag posts for moderation that don't abide to the rules. Anything else concerning the Portuguese forum should be discussed right there, with the local forum moderator. I'm sure you have one of those.

• @luetage said in Questions and Complaints about local forums - Portuguese:

What's the problem really? You got your answer: Flag posts for moderation that don't abide to the rules. Anything else concerning the Portuguese forum should be discussed right there, with the local forum moderator. I'm sure you have one of those.

Sorry, I'd rather not exchange ideas with you. Perhaps at other times, other subjects ....

• @quinca71 No reason to apologise, I'd also prefer if you wouldn't share your ideas here, but rather in your local forum.

• @luetage

As @Pesala, @Catweazle, @Ayespy have, if I understand correctly, different positions in relation to yours, I would like to continue with them and those of similar attitudes. If you do not have a hidden badge in front of your name, I suggest you change your tone. Very peremptory and authoritative. For my part it's gone.

• @quinca71 said in Questions and Complaints about local forums - Portuguese:

Would I be wrong to check and even complain about it?

You're not wrong to bring up the topic, but thus far you have not linked to a single thread in the Portuguese forum where the use of English was a problem, and I see no reason to complain about the subject in the English forums.

I agree with luetage that this would be better discussed in the Portuguese forum to see if any other Portuguese users think it is an issue, and if the forum moderator thinks that it is and issue, then he/she should raise it with the admins to see if anything can be done about it.

@pesala But then, only a single mod in the world would ever have seen the discussion, no diverse opinions among "non-Portuguese" mods would have been solicited, and exchange of ideas would have been stifled. Forums are for discussion, and this is the exact place where these ideas should be aired. At no time, and under no circumstances, is it appropriate for us to tell users to confine their discussions about forums to their own native language. The reason the general forum categories are in English is to invite maximum participation - not wall it off.

• @ayespy The question/complaint is about the Portuguese forum.
    The discussion is not being "stifled." It is simply more appropriate to discuss among users who might be affected by it.

@pesala Specifically, it's about the Portuguese forum. Generally, it's about moderation, as only mods can enforce standards concerning content. I welcome the discussion here. You are, of course, welcome to participate, or free to ignore it.

• @ayespy said in Questions and Complaints about local forums - Portuguese:

only mods can enforce standards concerning content

Only the Portuguese moderator should be enforcing standards in the Portuguese forum. It is inappropriate for you to interfere since you do not follow the posts and need to translate every one of them.

If this is really a complaint about a moderator not doing his/her job properly, then it is not appropriate anywhere, but should be taken up with the Admins via Chat.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.