Visual Bug Ubuntu 17.10

• When you start the browser, the copy appears in a separate place. With other programs and browsers, there are no such problems.
    The bug is of course empty, but nevertheless, correct please or tell me how to fix it.
    0_1513348979369_25467654_1592447154134330_1905055148_o.png

Cant reproduce it on my Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME.
    My Snapshot is set as a favorite and after starting it stays at the position.
    I do not get a extra icon in the bar like you.

• I'm having exactly the same issue lxl_JOKER_lxl on my Ubuntu 17.10.

Began with the latest snapshot 1.14.1042.3.

It appears as if there is a mismatch between the request to gnome-shell from within the brower and the desktop application file. I note that the icon launched by gnome-shell when vivaldi-snapshot is launched has the tooltip "vivaldi-stable" (disagreeing with the /usr/share/applications file).

I'm about to try to rewrite the application file, but I thought I'd ask on the forum first.

• @gwen-dragon There is something very confused here.

If I install vivaldi-stable and vivaldi-snapshot, and then launch vivaldi-snapshot, it makes a launcher icon in the gnome panel of type vivaldi-stable. E.g. if I launch another instance, I get a vivaldi-stable not a vivaldi-snapshot.

Launching a vivaldi-stable gives a consistent vivaldi-stable icon and launches a vivaldi-stable new instance when clicked.

I was not able to rewrite a private (.local/share/applications) desktop file that would work correctly. Still investigating but I suspect that this issue has to do with how vivaldi communicates with the gnome-shell which is beyond my expertise.

• @gwen-dragon Also I found: the icon duplication does not occur on the GNOME session only on the UBUNTU session (which is Canonical's tweaked Gnome session). However, the confusion between vivaldi-stable and vivaldi-snapshot is also present in the GNOME session.

• @ixi_joker_ixi @gwen-dragon

Okay, I think I figured out what is going on. I'm using Wayland, so I used xlsclient to determine that the window is vivaldi-snapshot. However, using xprop, it seems that vivaldi-snapshot sets the WM_CLASS to "Vivaldi-stable".

$ xprop <click window>

gives:

[snip]

WM_WINDOW_ROLE(STRING) = "browser"
    WM_CLASS(STRING) = "vivaldi-stable", "Vivaldi-stable"

So I reset the string as follows:

$ xprop -f WM_CLASS 8s -set WM_CLASS vivaldi-snapshot

causes the duplicated icon to go away and the launcher and launched icon now coincide.

So this is almost certainly a Vivaldi bug.

• @IxI_JOKER_IxI @Gwen-Dragon

By the way, here is a work around:

• cp /usr/share/applications/vivaldi-snapshot.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/vivaldi-stable.desktop
    • Edit ~/.local/share/applications/vivaldi-stable.desktop
      Change the name string to Vivaldi-stable.
      That is "name=Vivaldi-stable".
    • Add this to your launcher as a favorite.

Then, the WM id and name match, so all will work as expected.

• @mdw
    The copy command by itself, without further editing worked for me.
    What also works is cp /usr/share/applications/vivaldi-snapshot.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/ and add the line StartupWMClass=vivaldi-stable to ~/.local/share/applications/vivaldi-snapshot.desktop

@cantankrus Thanks for you post. Very useful!

• @cantankrus Yes, that makes sense. I suppose this is what the desktop entry spec extensions were designed to do.

Seems that the right thing is for the Vivaldi developers to decide that HOW they want their desktop files to interact with their windows. I would suggest that the snapshot branch should set the desired WM_Class with: gtk_window_set_wmclass()

I wonder what the GNOME folks are going to do about the wm client communication in what appears to be the transition to Wayland? The current gtk is build on wrapping the Xevent class.

• @mdw said in Visual Bug Ubuntu 17.10:

@cantankrus Yes, that makes sense. I suppose this is what the desktop entry spec extensions were designed to do.

Seems that the right thing is for the Vivaldi developers to decide that HOW they want their desktop files to interact with their windows. I would suggest that the snapshot branch should set the desired WM_Class with: gtk_window_set_wmclass()

I wonder what the GNOME folks are going to do about the wm client communication in what appears to be the transition to Wayland? The current gtk is build on wrapping the Xevent class.

I'm having this problem with snapshot on Ubuntu-gnome 17.04 using Xorg.
    Somewhere along the line the WM_Class of snapshot and stable seems to have become muddled.
    I don't understand why vivaldi-snapshot is still using the Vivaldi-stable WM_CLASS.

• @cantankrus said in Visual Bug Ubuntu 17.10:

Somewhere along the line the WM_Class of snapshot and stable seems to have become muddled.

Yup, definitely muddled. I just tried the X session; same behavior. The fix to the build should be simple enough.

It's also interesting to note: the vanilla GNOME session behaves slightly differently. With vivaldi-snapshot with no desktop file mods, the gnome-shell correctly matches the window to the launcher.

It appears (I haven't tried to look deeper) that gnome-shell is trying to match apps by using its ShellApp instance before resorting to ICCCM. However, it does get confused if I try to launch both a vivaldi-stable and vivaldi-snapshot instance.

Of course, this is a minor issue, but who doesn't want a PERFECT browser experience?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.