Vivaldi doesn't start loading any pages for about 40 seconds



  • Since 1.13 final initial release apparently, when I open Vivaldi it doesn't load any pages for more than half a minute.

    It doesn't display any CPU or disk usage, the UI is completely free for me to click and create new tabs but none of them will start loading until about 40s then all will start loading simultaneously.

    I've seen other topics about coming back from suspension/hibernation but in my case I can constantly reproduce it by simply closing and reopening Vivaldi.

    I'm using Win10 x64 (1709 16299.125) with x64 Vivaldi and the only security software is Windows Defender.


  • Moderator

    @rluik Hm. Can't do that here. Vivald opens in 4 sec. and I have access to the first operable button on the first hibernated page in 7 seconds from first click on the desktop shortcut.

    In other words, click the shortcut, wait for tabs to appear, click on a hibernated tab, gain loaded page with operable links in a total of 7 sec. from the first mouse click.

    What can you tell us about your system, platform, extensions, tab usage, etc.?



  • If you use the Windows network activity indicator or something similar, do you observe any traffic flow as soon as you start Vivaldi or before?



  • @Blackbird

    This is what my ethernet activity looks like, the first red dot is approximately when I clicked on the Vivaldi icon to start it (then the UI appears and looks like this for about 40 seconds as seen in the 60 seconds graph) the second one is where it finally started loading the page which is almost instant with my internet speed. The spikes in the middle were something like 40 Kbps which looks like unrelated to Vivaldi.

    network activity

    Edit: an odd thing is that if I try to access Outlook.com email during that time it displays the web app's loading indicator for the duration (like this) it's a kind of offline cached part of the web app, as if Vivaldi is attempting to find an active working internet connection during this whole time or something like that.


  • Moderator

    @rluik Interesting. On my Win10 tower (wireless, not ethernet) The spike in wireless activity begins 2 sec after mouseclick to open Stable ver. 13, and begins immediately upon mouseclick to open the internal instance of ver.14 that I am testing. I wonder what the difference might be between your install (3P security interference? Extensions? Corrupted profile?) and mine.



  • @rluik Ok, that is peculiar. Next, with Vivaldi closed, if you open any other browser (IE, Edge) to some 'static' page with no video or animations and let it stabilize completely, then try starting Vivald. Does it have the same ~40-sec delay? Also, what antivirus/antimalware program(s) are you running?



  • I have the same issues. I already made a topic on here somewhere, too.
    Somethimes that behavior happens for me when pressing Buttons on pahges, too.



  • @Blackbird
    Only Windows Defender right now. Disabled it, tested clean profile, it made no difference...

    But I found what was causing the problem here, I remembered about a setting on Internet Options which mess some stuff (I opened IE on mistake then reset all its settings recently so it must have caused this).

    Go to Internet Options - Connections tab - LAN settings - disable the Automatically detect settings checkbox.

    Sorry about thinking it had to do with a Vivaldi update.



  • @rluik said in Vivaldi doesn't start loading any pages for about 40 seconds:

    Automatically detect settings

    Incredibly I had to disable it on my Win10 PC at work 2 days ago for similar reasons. Pratically nothing was going to be downloaded, not even the Windows defender signatures and windows update aswell.
    It was always set, it became a problem just recently.
    On win7 pcs it can be left checked, doesn't change anything.



  • @rluik said in Vivaldi doesn't start loading any pages for about 40 seconds:

    ...
    But I found what was causing the problem here, I remembered about a setting on Internet Options which mess some stuff (I opened IE on mistake then reset all its settings recently so it must have caused this).

    Go to Internet Options - Connections tab - LAN settings - disable the Automatically detect settings checkbox.
    ...

    An interesting 'find'. FWIW, my system is set to automatically detect settings in that same location, but I don't have the problem you do. I suspect there must be some other differences in our system setups that make this particular setting problematic. In any case, I'm glad it's worked for you! Now the problem is to just remember the 'fix' if the problem ever pops up in the future...



  • I have the exact same issue. I'm on the beta program, I thought it was sync. I'm going to try this weird setting, but I never had any trouble with DHCP settings before


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.