Freeze after standby wakeup

• Since updating to 1.13, Vivaldi freezes quickly after waking up from standby (Windows 10 up to date).

It doesn't freeze immediately, I can open a link, change tab, but I quickly can't do anything else.

I have to kill the process (I could close the window but I'd loose my session) and open the browser again, and it will work fine until...I put my computer into standby again.

• Strange, some users have issues with Vivaldi after waking up from hinbernation, most do not have such issue.

Windows 10 is a mess rwith Sleep mode and Power Management :(

• My issue is not after waking up from hibernation but basic standby (not sure the difference matters, but I don't use hibernation).

I didn't have any issue before 1.13 and I don't have any issue with other apps.

• @porecreat By "Windows 10 up to date", do you mean up to date with the latest patches as the 1703 version or up to date via the recently-released Fall Creator's Upgrade 1709 version? Which Vivaldi version are you using (64 or 32 bit), and are you using any extensions in your Vivaldi installation? What antivirus are you using? Is there anything particularly unique or characteristic about the sessions in use when standby starts (certain websites, videos running, etc)? What is the approximate age of your hardware? (And please note, these are information-gathering questions, not comments or implications of cause.)

For reference, there are significant differences between standby (or "sleep" as it's otherwise known) and hibernation. Hibernation copies everything in RAM to your drive upon entering hibernation and then restores it all from the drive back to RAM after re-powering everything in the computer upon wakeup. Sleep preserves everything in RAM by maintaining DC power to just the RAM chips during sleep, then simply resumes full operations by re-powering the rest of the system upon wakeup. In some laptops, sleep may eventually trigger hibernation for battery preservation. As to how relevant (if at all) the differences might be to your problem, it's hard to say unless you were reporting significant differences in the problem's symptoms when comparing the two mechanisms.

Successfully resuming operation from sleep presumes that the Vivaldi code and data preserved in RAM and the various program linkages to the related Vivaldi files on the drive are all still valid and current at the time of resumption. If, for whatever reason, either the RAM data is corrupted or the resumption of communications with relevant Vivaldi files on the drive doesn't occur fully and in proper synchronization, then program resumption may not occur properly. Anything that corrupts program data or blocks/delays full and proper communications between RAM code and drive files can cause a program to not properly resume and remain operating. Things like faulty RAM, browser extensions, anti-malware tools, quirks/corruption in OS files, peculiar webpage code, etc can cause perturbations with resuming full and proper browser operation after sleep. Depending on a browser's coding and routine drive handshaking methods, different browsers may have differing susceptibilities to such issues.

• @Blackbird Sorry for not having been specific enough.

I've seen that there's another post on the same topic, I didn't find it before posting: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/21115/bug-vivaldi-freezes-after-system-wokes-up-from-sleeping-mode?page=1

I also should have tried with extensions disabled. I posted here first because the issue came just after 1.13 update.

Nevertheless, here are the details:

• Windows 10 1709 x64 up to date on custom built desktop pc (2 years average hardware)
    • Vivaldi 1.13.1008.34 x64
    • Extensions: Authy, Awesome Screenshot, Foxy Proxy Standard, IPvFoo, Kee, Stylish, uBlock Origin
    • Antivirus: Windows 10 integrated
    • Session: Opened Youtube videos, news, forums, etc.
    • I don't use hibernation because it makes too many writes on SSD storage.

• @porecreat said in Freeze after standby wakeup:

issue is not after waking up from hibernation but basic standby

Cant confirm such Problems on my Windows 10.

A ) The freezes does happen with many tabs?
    Can you please check without any tabs open?

B ) Can you please

• Open vivaldi://settings/system
    • Disable "Continue running background apps when Vivaldi is closed"
    • Restart

C ) Reset Vivaldi browser profile as described in https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/

• @porecreat It sounds like your hardware is reasonably up to date, as is your OS. Some users with the recent Autumn Upgrade (1709) have had some issues with application programs acting strange after the upgrade, but I'm not sure that's your problem. I concur with @Gwen-Dragon's recommendations, though I would add to also try with all your extensions halted to see if one of them is a culprit (assuming you haven't already tried that).

My own experience using 18-month-old hardware and Win10-64 (1703) is that I've yet to run into a single instance of the problem you're having. However, I don't use any of the extensions you have (I use 4-6 others), and I normally only run a couple of tabs at a time. Although my system typically enters/exits sleep 6-8 times a day and has never caused a problem like yours, I almost always never let it go to sleep in mid-session... instead, I usually close all the tabs except one and park that tab on my internal custom html 'home' page when I'm done browsing for a while (merely because of many years of computer-operating habit). At first glance, your resuming of sessions with various video tabs may be one contributor to your issue, particularly if there is a lot of page/tab updating having to occur upon resume-from-sleep.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.