Bookmarks and settings gone

• I had many problems with the latest ver. of Vivaldi that I uninstalled it and installed an older version. After I did this all my bookmarks and all other settings are gone. Can I get these back? I have done this before with many other browsers and never lost anything.

[modedit] changed title

• @grc That would depend on many things, which version(s) of Vivaldi; version of Windows etc.

But the first question would be how did you install the new version (single user/all users/standalone) and how did you uninstall. Then how and where did you install the old version.

Simple uninstall may have only removed the application and not the profile it was using.

• First Question.. Vivaldi popped up saying there is a newer version (single user). Uninstalled with windows 8.0. I had saved older versions of Vivaldi and installed them when the the program had many problems.

@grc It's pretty clear that your data and your recently-installed version of Vivaldi are in different directories. Possible locations for your prior User Data folder: users/(you)/local/vivaldi/User Data or Program Files (X86)/Vivaldi/User Data or Program Files/Vivaldi/User Data

Have you checked these locations?

If you used a "cleaner" type application to uninstall Vivaldi you may have nuked the User Data folder - but it you just used the usual Windows Uninstall routine, your User Data is still where it was before you uninstalled. You have just installed your most recent instance in another location.

@grc Also: When you begin having problems with Vivaldi it's almost never a good idea to replace the program. Rather, one wants to refresh one's profile and see if a clean version works properly. Then you can simply recover your vital data from your old profile folder.

• @grc said in Bookmarks and settings gone:

First Question.. Vivaldi popped up saying there is a newer version (single user). Uninstalled with windows 8.0.

Sorry, I'm still unsure what you did!? The "update available" prompt usually just replaces the old version with the new one, no uninstall is needed. I'm assuming you are on the stable branch, so the latest update would be Vivaldi 1.13. This would use the same profile as the previous ( 1.12 ?? ).

Which "older version" did you then replace it with? And where did you install it to?

As @Ayespy said, it could be that the "old" version is using a new profile directory and your profile from 1.13 (the updated version) is somewhere else.

• Thanks for all the help but still can't recover anything. I uninstalled using iobit uninstaller. I uninstalled 3-4 other browsers using iobit and never lost anything before.

• @grc said in Bookmarks and settings gone:

Thanks for all the help but still can't recover anything. I uninstalled using iobit uninstaller. I uninstalled 3-4 other browsers using iobit and never lost anything before.

Iobit is probably the cause of the problem. Using a 3rd-party uninstaller program runs the risk that more than just the targeted program executables and registry entries will be uninstalled - it may also take out or corrupt any specially-saved user data store as well.

The normal 'safe-hex' rule of thumb is to use the Windows uninstaller first, and only resort to a 3rd-party tool if Windows uninstaller is unsuccessful or there remain residual effects of the targeted installation. 3rd-party uninstallers must be thoroughly up to date with the designs of the software they uninstall to avoid taking out too much or too little, so they must be used with caution around evolving software programs. Using them routinely to uninstall software can be risky unless their internal design also allows them to carefully and competently monitor a program during its installation.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.