Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits

• My main reasons for using Vivaldi are the aesthetics and ease of use, its performance in the common requirements that seduce in any browser, referring to speed, compatibility and security, even without a significant use of its amazing customization, on my part.

Lately, however, its astounding development as far as technical customization are concerned, are turning me into a bird out of the nest, thinking of totally reformulating - once again - the requirements I charge for browsers.

This conjuncture is for those amazing users, very developed in technical knowledge like, for example, Luetage, Paflick, Isildur and so many others.

The banquet is becoming out of my diet. It is a scenario, where users (including for personal and internal gratuities reasons) need to be involved with the implementation, maintenance and improvement of all this.

This is the time when I need to pretend I went for a walk to the corner, round the corner and put my team out of that castle.

Edge, please do not consider all my scorn for you all these times and open your relegated arms to welcome me.

• All that I put up is, or pretends to be, a humble recognition of my demerits and disabilities, not an attack, by any means, to the Navigator. On the contrary, an exaltation. Think about it, downvoters. Do not condemn humility because of the misunderstanding of your brains.

• @quinca71 said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

Think about it, downvoters

Don't worry about it. It was just an ID-10T user.

• @quinca71 Surely, the advantage of Vivaldi is that you do not have to use every feature if you don't have a need for it?

You can use it as a "simple/straightforward" browser and just ignore the "technical customisation".
    Referring to their mission statement, you can be a friend without getting involved in the development.

• Oh no, you're not really leaving, are you @Quinca71 ? If i understand your explanation correctly, it seems that maybe somehow you now feel that this browser has grown to be "too much" for you... or put another way, maybe now is implementing some features & functions beyond your specific needs? If that is so, would it not still be viable for you just to continuing to enjoy the parts of V that are desirable for you, & simply ignore the other things that seem superfluous to you?

I mean, in my case, i'll mention the brand new Sync function for example. As everyone knows here, many users have been frothing at the mouth & climbing the walls waiting for it, yet it is utterly unimportant to & irrelevant for me. But i'm simply going to ignore it & keep using V as the vital tool it has become for me. I don't need/want to dump V simply coz it now has some stuff i don't care about.

Is that perspective also relevant for you... or perhaps i have fundamentally misunderstood what has prompted your announcement?

If one only needs a scooter, one does not buy an airplane. The cost, the operating environment, the maintenance, and the controls of the latter are incompatible with your needs, if you only need the former. Plus, operating a plane requires a lot of training.

But browsers, especially Vivaldi, are not like that. If all you need are throttle, shifter and brake, and you're only interested in ground travel, then all you need to do is hug the ground and use throttle, shifter and brake. And there need be nothing else visible or in your way. Your browser is a scooter. If on the other hand you want to carry massive cargo while doing aerial loops and skywriting, then you deploy the wings and pull out the stick and the fancy control panel, and you can do that as well! It can be a scooter or an airplane. Your choice. Mine is a 4-wheel-drive pickup truck with 6 forward speeds, four doors, and a comfy sofa for a back seat.

• Hoping I understood that correctly, I'll say Vivaldi has the advantage of allowing you to choose how you want it to be. You can use it as a simple, quick tool for everyday browsing...or as a fleet of advanced spaceships for intergalactic cargo-hauling. I'll speak for myself and say that I probably don't use half of what Vivaldi has to offer, but I do appreciate it being there, at a distance of a couple of clicks, in case I ever need it - something which Firefox (a browser I'm still very fond of), for example, doesn't offer.
    If, however, you still feel that Vivaldi isn't what you want, I hope you find what you're looking for. Regardless of your browser of choice, I believe you're still very welcome here :slight_smile:

• @merryweather said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

If, however, you still feel that Vivaldi isn't what you want,

I am very afraid that it is the opposite: Vivaldi is the one who thinks that I am not the user he wants ... :confounded:

• @Quinca71: Vivaldi won't judge you. It will be happy to work with you, regardless of how many of its features you use. It likes everyone, from that one person that only uses it to read the news and has no idea of how to write a note without a pen, to the one who uses it for development or has a billion tabs open at the same time.
    If V only wanted users who can play around with everything in it and somehow turn it into a, say, sentient coffee machine with mad internet browsing abilities, I believe it would have set my computer on fire by now!

This is probably my best sales pitch, but hey, here's hoping it works :slight_smile:

@quinca71 What a curious notion. Vivaldi wants all the users it can get - beginners, advanced, techie, untrained, all nations and cultures, all lifestyles. I can't see a scenario wherein "he" would not not want you.

• @quinca71 Most people use devices and products every day, many of whose totality of features they don't know about nor have real need to use in all their intricate detail: computers, smart phones, automobiles, etc - and yes, browsers. People learn enough to use the parts of these things that they need to and simply let the other features or details sit undisturbed in their default or unused positions. If a problem arises, most people ask for help in appropriate places or they dig in and learn whatever they need to and then go back to life as normal.

Vivaldi's technical forums exist to provide some specific help for a user with a problem, but that doesn't mean other users have to understand or grasp all the technical nuances and details of various posts they may read here. And, as others have said, it certainly doesn't mean the presence of features and intricate potential user customizations in Vivaldi have to be fully understood or utilized... just leave the browser at its default settings for features and settings you don't understand, and ask here if a problem arises. If the responses here seem too technical, just say so in the thread, and most responders (or others) will be quick to chime in to help better explain.

• @ayespy said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

@quinca71 What a curious notion. Vivaldi wants all the users it can get - beginners, advanced, techie, untrained, all nations and cultures, all lifestyles. I can't see a scenario wherein "he" would not not want you.

This was a somewhat figurative way of expressing what I perceive in prosaic facts and behavior. Including "humanizing" the browser, as if it and that were he and who, adding strength of expression and some humor, perhaps.

The scenario where this would tend to happen would be a browser for very advanced users and technicians who would find in it their best way to work, and the prosaic uses would be less favored.

And I even fervently hope that this will happen, I would like to see Viv exclusive from a rather large niche to ensure its significant financial sustenance within a medium in which users like myself would be excluded.

@quinca71 I'm afraid "simple" users will never have trouble using Vivaldi. It's intended to be as useful as possible - for literally anyone. Even people with handicaps are taken into account in the design and functions.

• @tbgbe said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

Referring to their mission statement, you can be a friend without getting involved in the development.

Words that brought a light of relief, because the main aspect that afflicts me is a morbid charge that I do for myself and acts obscurely and furtively, with few discernment. This light that you brought gave me a perception that I am being too excessive and need to reduce. Special thanks.

• @steffie said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

has grown to be "too much" for you..

Almost! "Has grown", not yet. But "is growing to be much" is exact. And in few time will be converted into "has grown".

@steffie said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

Is that perspective also relevant for you... or perhaps i have fundamentally misunderstood what has prompted your announcement?

Very relevant. Now that you asked, in a glance, I understood that is not what is happening to the browser, it is something that is happening to me and is undefined.

Your words will contribute to a better understanding and, like @TbGbe's, will be a relief and a source of calm for me. Thank you very much.

• The problem of a driver of a Ford T, driving for the first time a Tesla Roadster

• Not quite that bad, I'd say. Many of the differences between the old Model T and the Tesla (or any other modern car) are government-mandated: seat belts, air bags, impact-absorbing bumpers and so on. If you tried to get a license for a newly built Model T (many of the laws have "grandfather clauses" to exclude cars built before the law came into effect) you would not be able to.
    Any manufacturer - browser, car, whatever - would love your input on various features, but that does not mean you have to do anything. Vivaldi especially would love your input as they are still young. Don't let that fool you though - they will be quite happy if you just sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labors.

• @sgunhouse said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

Not quite that bad, I'd say. Many of the differences between the old Model T and the Tesla (or any other modern car) are government-mandated: seat belts, air bags, impact-absorbing bumpers and so on. If you tried to get a license for a newly built Model T (many of the laws have "grandfather clauses" to exclude cars built before the law came into effect) you would not be able to.
    Any manufacturer - browser, car, whatever - would love your input on various features, but that does not mean you have to do anything. Vivaldi especially would love your input as they are still young. Don't let that fool you though - they will be quite happy if you just sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Vivaldi is a browser quite different to all others, which can overwhelm some users, accustomed to a lifelong browser, which with small differences resemble each other and naturally also serve their purpose, to surf the web with more or less ease.
    Somehow Vivaldi has broken this scheme, offering many more possibilities and options to interact with the network, thanks to the great work and genius of its developers and a very active community.
    This is what I mean with my previous simile of the Ford T and Tesla, of the technological difference, the possibilities and the potential

• @steffie said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

yet it is utterly unimportant to & irrelevant for me

Same same =) I don't even give a damn to test it. I only hope this and other new features I don't need won't drain human resources allocated on fixing actual bugs.

• @ian-coog said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

@steffie said in Vivaldi is becoming beyond my reach and merits:

yet it is utterly unimportant to & irrelevant for me

Same same =) I don't even give a damn to test it. I only hope this and other new features I don't need won't drain human resources allocated on fixing actual bugs.

I think the same. Vivaldi certainly has some functions that seem irrelevant and unnecessary (Transform in 3D? Why?)
    On the other hand many bugs reports stable version (I can not see x video, or x page) for a problem that is not Vivaldi, but the page or the user's own PC, or a misconfiguration. All this can certainly hinder a faster development, but you can not blame the user for this, not all are experts and less with a new browser, different from the usual.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.