Unwanted tabs with ads open with Vivaldi

• I've got this problem. It looks like some program added itself as hidden extension to Chrome/Vivaldi, so now when I click on some link (or maybe not) some unwanted tab may appear with some ad. And I want to remove it (I have ADBlock already by the way, on extensions list it is the only one). I also don't have any unwanted/unknown programs in "Control Panel-> Add/remove programs".

• Depends what extensions you have installed in Vivaldi. Some may inject ads.
    And regular extension Adblock allows some ads.

I use uBlockOrigin for filterning content.

But perhaps some of "free/shareware" programs may have installed adware on your PC?
    Please use an other PC which is free from such issues, download malwarescanner Malwarebytes , burn it on a CD and start it on the PC with your Vivaldi with ads tabs.
    May be something is found.

If all is free from laware, then best ways is to reset your Vivaldi profile as described in Help.
    You may lose extensions but that is the best way to get rid of injection from malware in extensions.

• In cases like this it is usually enough to review the pc with the AdwCleaner (it is also from Malwarebytes), it removes all annoying ads from the browser and the system

• Hm, I've tried AdwCleaner, and it looks useless in my case. I checked internet explorer, and there is same problem. I just click on blank area of page or some link, and instead of that link in new tab I see ads open ;-( some very bad malware I have now... ;-(

@ivandonets What happens if you refresh your profile?

• oh, I found this malware's name: BROWSERMODIFIER:WIN32/OBRYPSER (with windows antivirus)
    now it is easier

• @ivandonets said in Unwanted tabs with ads open:

Hm, I've tried AdwCleaner, and it looks useless in my case. I checked internet explorer, and there is same problem. I just click on blank area of page or some link, and instead of that link in new tab I see ads open ;-( some very bad malware I have now... ;-(

Well, if it seems a quite persistent malware, if you can not remove it with the AdwCleaner.
    In which case instead of Malwarebytes Antimalware I recommend you to try to eliminate it with RogueKiller, much more efficient in things like that (include anti-root kit even in the free versión)
    Apart from this, what AV do you use?

• The OP might need some "qualified" malware removal advice from someone who knows what they are doing.
    Malwarebytes offers this very service on their forums. forums(dot)malwarebytes(dot)com

• So I installed Malwarebytes trial, and it found some 27 issues (registry and files), and fixed that. But then browser still wanted to open some ad-tabs, though Malwarebytes would block that (showing popup near system tray), or would show its webpage instead of ad url. So I decided to refresh profile. I'll check how is it working now and will tell you

• @ivandonets If a fresh profile is unsuccessful in Vivaldi (or if you have continuing problems in IE, regardless), you should take @Para-noid's advice and seek help over at Malwarebytes' forums. This kind of malware may require free (but reputable) specialty tools and a trained counselor to walk you through removing all the many possible infection elements, and legitimate "helps" sites like Malwarebytes or BleepingComputer are able to provide that in-depth support.

• Well, yes, even after refreshing profile, I still have ads trying to open tabs (but malwarebytes prevents it, showing popups). Have to try Malwarebytes forum, really

• Hm, tried to register on malwarebytes forum, but I can't pass their question like:
    "What day is 4th of July on " (I tried USA Independence day)
    or
    "What number is in the middle 4 6 9"
    can anyone help with it?

• @ivandonets said in Unwanted tabs with ads open with Vivaldi:

Hm, tried to register on malwarebytes forum, but I can't pass their question like:
    "What day is 4th of July on " (I tried USA Independence day)
    or
    "What number is in the middle 4 6 9"
    can anyone help with it?

Answer #1: 4
    Answer #2: 6

Don't overthink their questions... they're designed simply to deter bots signing up to spam the forum.

• @blackbird Thanks. I knew I was forgetting bleepingcomputer(dot)com

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.