Video/Screen Issues

• On an iMac. Downloaded the latest version of Vivaldi. I've been using Vivaldi for a long time, many versions. Issues similar to this started a few versions back. Turned off Hardware acceleration, which seemed to be an issue in the past. I go to gmail, as an example, and I get video anomalies all over. The screen stutters, certain parts of the page white out for no reason, renders the browser useless. Not a problem in safari. What's going on.

@oscarrob Are any errors logged at the bottom of the vivaldi://gpu status page? There shouldn't be any rendering errors if you're using software-based rendering. Also, have you changed any of Vivaldi's internal flags from their defaults or done any other customization beyond changing the normal settings or installing extensions?

• I checked other tabs and it seems to only have the problem on gmail. Other pages flicker at the bottom while the page loads but then it stops. Gmail is impossible to use in Vivaldi. In answer to your questions. There are these two log messages if that's what you're talking about on the GPU page.

[2531:775:1123/215707.730128:INFO:propmedia_gpu_channel.cc(87)] : PROPMEDIA(GPU) : AllowHardwareDecode : Hardware Decode Not Allowed
    [2531:775:1123/215707.730375:INFO:propmedia_gpu_channel.cc(87)] : PROPMEDIA(GPU) : AllowHardwareDecode : Hardware Decode Not Allowed

Have not changed anything other than turning off hardware acceleration.

• @xyzzy Also now flickering and having rendering problems on Zillow and another real estate site.

@oscarrob That's weird. What model iMac do you have and what version of macOS are you running? Could you please click on the Apple logo on the menu bar / "About This Mac", and post the contents? You can just use copy & paste, and please do not post your serial number.

Do you have any other Chromium-based browsers installed (such as Chrome or Opera) and if so, are you experiencing any problems with them?

I'm not sure what to advise and will ask around to see if anyone has any ideas. At first glance, it looks like it might be a hardware problem with your GPU. If you're running High Sierra, Chromium is also having some problems with some of macOS' recent graphics drivers but these problems tend to go away when hardware acceleration is disabled.

• @xyzzy
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac15,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM151.0211.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.22f16
    MAC OS 10.13.1 High Sierra
    I do have Chrome intsalled.

@oscarrob Thanks for the update. Most likely an incompatibility between Chromium and your graphics driver in High Sierra. I'm trying to dig through the open and recently-closed High Sierra and GPU-specific bugs to see if there are any viable workarounds.

Mac + GPU-specific bugs
    Mac + High Sierra bugs
    Mac + 10.13 bugs

This may take some time... :neutral_face:

• @xyzzy I have had to take Vivaldi down as my browser on the Mac. It's unstable and I can't use it. Have to use Safari until I get a solution. Really unhappy, cause I have gotten so used to Vivaldi. It just has stopped working on the Mac. Still fine on my Windows machine, which I use at the office.

• @xyzzy This seems to be the closest description on the links you indicated.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=541757

@oscarrob Thanks for digging into this. I'm still hoping that a number of issues on High Sierra will get fixed with updated drivers in macOS 10.13.2 and fixes to the Chromium code base.

It's also possible that this is a new issue that has not been formally reported yet as a Chromium bug. If you're running into these (or similar) problems with Chrome, you can also report them directly to the Chrome team using "Help / Report an issue..." from the macOS menu bar.

True story: Last year, I discovered a crash in Vivaldi but it was caused by a bug in the Chromium code, and it was more than a simple fix. I replicated the crash in Chrome, reported it to Google, and they fixed it... and then the fix got picked up by Vivaldi.

• Just FYI, Because Vivaldi has become unusable on the Mac, I have switched to Chrome and have not encountered the same problem. I have used every version of Vivaldi since I started and have not had this problem until the latest version. What't really disappointing is that sync is coming. I use Vivaldi on my windows laptop for the office and would love to be able to use it on my iMac at home.

@oscarrob Google Chrome just got updated a few days ago to version 63.0.3239.84; Vivaldi is still based on Chromium 62. That means that Vivaldi should work as well when the Chromium base code gets upgraded... and if it does not, then there's a problem with Vivaldi.

If Chrome 62 was working fine last week, then that also points to a problem with Vivaldi and a bug report can be filed directly to the Vivaldi developers at: https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/

Before filing a bug report, it's always advisable to retest Vivaldi with extensions disabled, all vivaldi://flags reset to their defaults, and Use hardware acceleration when available enabled.

• @xyzzy So I reset all the flags to default (I have no idea what had not been at default) and reset Hardware acceleration to enable. Now it seems to be running fine. Oh well. I guess I'll never know what happened.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.