Bookmarking is Non-optimum

• I wish Vivaldi's developers would change the bookmarking system which is hard to use and confusing.

Every other browser, such as IE, Firefox etc, has a really simple system of book marking - you press Add Bookmark or Ctl + D and it simply adds a bookmark. There's a drop down "recently bookmarked" feature in the context menu, creating folders is easy and the whole bookmark tree is really easy to follow:

https://ibb.co/eHaHA6

https://ibb.co/ntO9OR

Vivaldi on the other hand, has no obvious add button and when you do press it, it appears to add a folder and ask you to name it, then it doesn't appear to have saved it at this stage and instead has boxes asking you to fill out the url, description etc. Wtf!

Talk about making a simple task difficult. There's a good proverb in life is something is broken don't fix it.

Bookmarking in it's current form has been around for years, it's simple and easy to use, it doesn't require complex menu trees, url boxes and name boxes to fill out, so why alter it.

Please revert Bookmarking back to either being the same as in every other browser, or at least a simpler to use version. Don't make it more complex.

The one thing stopping me from using Vivaldi as my main browser is the horrible bookmarking system that I simply can't and don't want to use, coupled with the fact that I can't import my existing bookmarks although the latter wouldn't make me use Vivaldi as my main browser, without the simple system as well.

• It's simple to enter the bookmark after ctrl-D.

• I find it easy to do this.
    0_1511088382163_2017-11-19_15-46-10.gif

• @retoree Looks nothing like the Bookmark menu in my version of Vivldi and I'm on the latest Windows Version:

https://ibb.co/i9LCcm

• @alviv You are trying to use the sidepanel Bookmark Manager instead of the "add bookmark" icon at the end of the address field in the url bar?

• @alviv said in Bookmarking is Horrible:

such as IE, Firefox etc, (...)
    There's a drop down "recently bookmarked" feature in the context menu, creating folders is easy and the whole bookmark tree is really easy to follow

I agree, Vivaldi's bookmark feature from addressbar is not as user friendly as Firefox. If i want to add a bookmark into a previous used folder or a folder in a deeper folder structure i have to scroll down in a list, but i can not easily distinguish where i am.
    Yes, i know i can use the bookmark panel or the bookmark manager to move the bookmark to the desired place, but that is not really a modern use of bookmarks.

• @tbgbe That's the only bookmark menu I can see.

I have no heart symbol as above, just a folder tree and + - buttons which seem to have a dual purpose of adding / deleting folders, and deleting bookmarks.

Other than that, I have a bookmark symbol which takes me to where I'm currently at, a view downloads, notes and history button, no other options.

Not sure what the trash can is there for, but again only seems to contain a list

• @alviv The heart shown by @retoree is a modification, but I'm talking about the Address Bar - I can see the "bookmark symbol" in your screenshot .

0_1511092395229_9d920b76-4c46-4781-8378-41816b8a05e7.png

• @alviv said in Bookmarking is Horrible:

Not sure what the trash can is there for

For deleted bookmarks and folders, so you can restore them if you need to get them back.

• Ctrl-D makes it obvious where the button is, the bookmark pop up is right under it

• Since I've posted about this myself, I'm going to chime in here in support of op. Bookmarking and Bookmark Manager are indeed, well, less than optimal!

I have nearly 3000 bookmarks in over 400 folders. When I want to bookmark a page and invoke the bookmark command the bookmark manager opens a window with ALL my folders expanded! I don't want to scroll through all that. Suggestion: Open it compacted and let me expand the folder I need!

A smaller issue, using the dark theme, (perhaps others), the bookmark icon at the end of the address field is completely invisible. I only found it by clicking Ctrl d over and over while watching for it. In the dark theme, (at least), it should be white as are the other icons on that toolbar.

Then, of course, the issue of not being able to sort our actual bookmarks. I'm not speaking of the list in Vivaldi Bookmark Manager, which CAN be sorted but that sorting does not sort the actual bookmarks in the bookmark folders and this issue must be addressed.

I will add that I'm also not a fan of the trash can. It's confusing, especially when I'm trying to find something and ALL my bookmark folders are open. In addition it confuses Xmarks.

• @bornconfuzd I don't think anyone disagrees that it could be improved.
    There are a lot of suggestions in the feature request thread already, so it is not being ignored
    Feature requests for 1.13

In the meantime, all we can do is advise on how to use Bookmarks with the (limited) current implementation.

• Yes, I should turn my modifications off, just been lazy.
    Anyway, I don't see much differences between Vivaldi and other browsers.
    Here is an example (Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi):
    https://i.imgur.com/HeAC0Vh.png
    https://i.imgur.com/m5mZaCX.png
    https://i.imgur.com/UjOmOt3.png
    Bookmark button on the same place.

• @tbgbe Yes, I understand the limitations of all forum members who try to help without the benefit of direct involvement in the decision process. Make no mistake, I appreciate the effort of all who are sincerely trying to help.

• While we should always remember the first two Community Rules, users should take note of the third, fourth, and fifth rules:

1. Treat others with respect.
    2. Be courteous.
    3. Use the search feature before starting a new thread.
    4. Think first, think twice, before you write.
    5. When in doubt, ask more questions and explain your perspective.

• @bornconfuzd said in Bookmarking is Horrible:

As to the op's complaint, I have nearly 3000 bookmarks in over 400 folders. When I want to bookmark a page and invoke the bookmark command the bookmark manager opens a window with ALL my folders expanded! Good grief! I don't want to scroll through all that! Open it compacted and let me expand the folder I need!

You do not need to scroll through anything. Just type the first letter of the folder to which you want to add the bookmark. If several folders begin with the same letter, keep pressing it. The next time that you add a bookmark, that folder will already be selected.

A smaller issue, using the dark theme, (perhaps others), the bookmark icon at the end of the address field is completely invisible. I only found it by clicking Ctrl d over and over while watching for it. In the dark theme, (at least), it should be white as are the other icons on that toolbar.

I don't see any default dark them where it is completely invisible. I am colour-blind, so red icons on black backgrounds are hard to see. Themes can be tweaked to suit one's personal needs. I suspect that it is nigh on impossible to design a perfect theme that suits everyone, so Vivaldi lets you edit themes.

Then, of course, the issue of not being able to sort our actual bookmarks. I'm not speaking of the list in Vivaldi Bookmark Manager, which CAN be sorted but that sorting does not sort the actual bookmarks in the bookmark folders and this issue should be addressed.

There are currently 45 pages in the Feature Requests for 1.13 thread, and real sorting of bookmarks is just one of over four hundred requests. Search for "sort" and vote for the feature request. It might get fixed one day. If it has lots of votes it might get fixed sooner. You may upvote that feature request.

I will add that I'm also not a fan of the trash can. It's confusing, especially when I'm trying to find something and ALL my bookmark folders are open. In addition it confuses Xmarks.

Most users find the bookmarks trash can indispensable. If one deletes a whole load of bookmarks in error, it is great to be able to recover them. Not all users will be using Xmarks, but nearly all will be using bookmarks. Catering for only some users is always going to be a lower priority, but do submit bug reports and help to improve Vivaldi.

Submit a Bug Report

If you feel that any post oversteps the boundary of the usual differences of opinion, and is rude, it is well to the flag the post to bring it to the attention of the moderators (using the blue vertical dots icon). If it's not that bad, you may use the downvote icon to remind the user that his/her post was a bit off.

• @pesala In order to type the first letter of the folder I must remember it and often I don't even know if there is one and must look for it. That my bookmark folders are all expanded is not helpful.

The bookmark icon on my address bar has JUST turned white and is right now easy to see. Pretty weird but yeah, sticks out like a sore thumb! :-)

I have and will avail myself of the steps available to me as re rude and inappropriate comments.

Thank you for your responses.

Larry

Problem has been adequately expressed, and workarounds offered. Bookmarks in Vivaldi will continue to evolve as the developers are able to find time to address the issue.

Off-topic argumentation and discourteous comments have been removed from the thread.

Please be sure to make use of your opportunities to file bug reports and to make feature request at the appropriate topic located under https://forum.vivaldi.net/category/48/features-requests

Topic is closed.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.