Can I register to synchronize my bookmarks?

• Can I register an account (maybe this current one) to synchronize my bookmarks on Vivaldi? similar to Opera or Chrome?

@tm1813 Almost, but not yet. Vivaldi sync has been under development for a very long time, is being used by internal testers, but is not ready for prime time yet.

• There are times when a given topic should be pinned and locked.
    This might be the time and this might be the topic.

• It's easy to understand... do you see a Sync section in your Settings? I do in my Sopranos version, and it works with this account. If you don't see it, then it won't work yet.

@para-noid Good idea. Pinned now, so users can see it easier.

• While Vivaldi still does not have the synchronization function I am using the LastPass and XMarks extensions

Such extensions can not sync f.ex. extension's and Vivaldi's settings or notes.
    So you have to wait for Vivaldi Sync to be released to get the full service.

• As much as I'm looking forward to Vivaldi Sync, it will only solve half the problem. Like @Catweazle, I'm also using Xmarks Sync on all of my computers. The advantage of it is that it also syncs with Chrome, Firefox and IE (no Edge yet). So I guess I'll still have to keep Xmarks in order to sync my bookmarks with other browsers. I'll drop Chrome soon but I'll still have to use some of the Microsoft ones in certain cases.

A function that would save me a lot of time would be import/export Vivaldi settings for installations on different computers. I'm spreading Vivaldi on all my client's systems but configuring them is a pain. I know, I'm copying some of the settings files but it's not clean and complete.

• @ayespy ALMOST???? no brome es, estoy esperando la sincronizacion desde hace 3 años. Ya es hora de Sync Profile!!

@anselher When it's ready. 🙂

Sync is now working on a 1.14 Snapshot.
    Read https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/help-test-sync/ and install latest Snapshot

• @catweazle Figure you out to know, XMarks stores your content in plain text on their servers. I dunno if they transmit them in plaintext also. It's why I don't use them even though otherwise they seem like an OK service.

• @cdobrich said in Can I register to synchronize my bookmarks?:

@catweazle Figure you out to know, XMarks stores your content in plain text on their servers. I dunno if they transmit them in plaintext also. It's why I don't use them even though otherwise they seem like an OK service.

It is true, although with my bookmarks the risk is not so great.
    For passwords I use LastPass.
    Anyway, it's only a temporary solution until the Vivaldi synchronization is ready

• I'm ready for the jump too! I'm impressed by the good direction Vivaldi is going! The bookmarks tool is FANTASTIC! One thing I have from Chrome is the default new tab screen. Today I discovered I can have tabs for my bookmarks, so I can organize them into categories like Work, Design, Social, etc. AWESOME! I post this comment here because I'm only waiting for the Sync feature to work so I can have all my bookmaks available on all my computers!

Good job people! 🙂

@almarma Sync is already available in the Snapshot versions. Bookmarks are synchronised, but some settings are not included.

0_1532928285477_Sync Settings.png

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit • Snapshot 1.16.1246.7 (64-bit)

• Before activating sync I would like to understand what exactly happens when tuning on full sync on two rather distinct configured Vivaldi installations.
    Will it be obvious after turning on sync on my second machine which bookmarks, extensions, notes etc. are originating from my other installation?
    It seems to me at least regarding all settings only one configuration can "survive" while the other will be lost, right?

@goedl They get added together - the bookmarks from the second unit after the bookmarks from the first unit that you activated. Then as you delete duplicates, they also get deleted in the other install, until you are left with only the ones you want, you have the same set in both instances, and all future changes are reflected in both instances. Every time you ADD an instance (another machine, another version that has sync on the same machine) That instance's bookmarks get added after the one's already on the server, and duplicates must be removed again.

• @ayespy said in Can I register to synchronize my bookmarks?:

@goedl They get added together - the bookmarks from the second unit after the bookmarks from the first unit that you activated. Then as you delete duplicates, they also get deleted in the other install, until you are left with only the ones you want, you have the same set in both instances, and all future changes are reflected in both instances. Every time you ADD an instance (another machine, another version that has sync on the same machine) That instance's bookmarks get added after the one's already on the server, and duplicates must be removed again.

Thanks. I'm not overly concerned but still curious how the different settings of the machines will be mingled.

@goedl Settings are not synced as yet.

• Hi,
    Really don't understand what Vivaldi team is doing with synchronization.
    Imho, this should be a top priority. Many people are using 2 or 3 devices, and expect this feature (much more than vertical reading ).
    As I reported in a previous post , only a few components can be synchronized. Not necessarily the most needed ( to me it is more important to synchronize settings than bookmarks).
    Moreover, I have the feeling that we are going backward: in the last snapshot, the cloud icon which indicates the synchronizing status has been moved down within the bottom bar (much less convenient) and doesn't show anymore the tabs open on other devices, as it used to be.
    Thank you for any info you can provide on the future developments of sync.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.