Vivaldi tries to connect to google subdomains



  • Hi,

    I'm giving Vivaldi another go after the dev tools are now dockable and because I think Vivaldi is on a good path and a few addons now don't work in FF57 anymore.

    However, I'm seeing some (strange?) behavior when it comes to "talking home". I have disabled Google as my default search engine and am using Startpage. I have also disabled the safe browsing option. However Vivaldi still wants to connect to:

    clients1.google.com
    clients2.google.com
    *.gvt1.com
    

    I always decide to block until I close Vivaldi with littlesnitch and from the looks of things I don't have any problem surfing the web with the domains listed being blocked.

    Could someone explain why Vivaldi still tires to connect to said domains?

    Thanks.



  • clients* are probably used by extension (auto) updates.



  • Hey thanks for the answer, that is correct. I used this to confirm:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27657617/how-to-disable-google-chrome-extension-autoupdate

    For OS X the manifest.json is located here:

    ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi/Default/Extension Rules/<EXTENSION-ID><VERSION>\manifest.json

    So now the only question that remains is what the gvt1.com Domain is for.



  • Probably is google redirector - used from sites which use g-services; should be part of g-analytics.


  • Moderator

    Some of the Google traffic will also be related to digital certificate management and validation.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.