How to stop browser notifications?

• Re: Where Do I Manage Notifications?

Today, after using Vivaldi for several months, I've received two notifications. The first was from facebook, which I have always refused when asked permission, and the second was from sciencedirect.com which has never asked. I didn't recognise the site name and it looked like spam, but checking history I realised it's a site I visited a month ago, apparently valuable, and I kept a tab open.

I've searched settings and found nothing. Searched the forum and found the topic linked above, from which I found how to stop notifications on a site-by-site basis. I also found that my existing browser settings were a global "ask", and that I can't turn notifications on or off globally but there's a block list (empty) and an allow list (facebook on it).

Even if I have permitted facebook (my memory isn't 100% reliable but my dislike of facebook and of intrusive notifications is) how come the science site could spam me without getting on the allow list?

Is there a way to kludge a global block?

• After posting I saw my post is under Vivaldi for Windows. Before posting I considered whether posting under generic or under Linux, and decided on Linux as I couldn't know whether my issues are relevant on other OSs. Not sure but I think it ended up under Windows because of my reference to the earlier thread.

• Facebook itself is a spyware that haunts you all over the network, if you have an account. This also makes other pages. For this purpose they host on your PC what is called tracking cookies.
    This can be avoided with a scriptblocker, which allows you to accept only the necessary cookies for the pages you visit on a regular basis and reject others.
    To eliminate these cookies from your PC I recommend the Super AntiSpyware, very efficient, and / or AdwCleaner, which also eliminates any annoying ad in browsers and system.
    I use them and I do not get any notification or other strange things.

• @catweazle said in How to stop browser notifications?:

Facebook itself is a spyware that haunts you all over the network, if you have an account.

I believe this is also true even if you don't have a Facebook account.

• @wagner said in How to stop browser notifications?:

@catweazle said in How to stop browser notifications?:

Facebook itself is a spyware that haunts you all over the network, if you have an account.

I believe this is also true even if you don't have a Facebook account.

Well, worse yet. But almost any site has a Fakebook tracker, by default everyone with a 'Share' button has at least one or several scripts.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.