Greetings!

• I was a long-time Opera user, starting back when the installation file fit on a single floppy disk. I used the 16-bit version under Win-OS2 because it was so much better than the official OS/2 version of Netscape. When I was finally forced to abandon OS/2, I stuck with the 32-bit version of Opera because it offered a better experience than other browsers.

When I got a wide-gamut monitor, I reluctantly switched to Firefox because it was the only browser that fully supported color management. Without a color-managed browser, images on a wide-gamut monitor look psychedelic. Another factor was the availability of a "self-destructing cookies" add-on. It's amazing just how many cookies self-destruct as I surf the Web!

With recent Firefox updates, the "self-destructing cookies" add-on became incompatible. The developer wasn't maintaining it. When I looked for an alternative I found a similar one called "Cookie AutoDelete" that was compatible and under current development. There's also a version for Chrome. One Firefox advantage gone.

I had tried Vivaldi when it was first announced. The Opera heritage made it tempting, but it wasn't ready for prime time. Last week I revisited the Vivaldi site and saw that significant progress had been made. So I downloaded it. It looked very promising, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it was fully color-managed. Color management is apparently part of Chromium, but Google has inexplicably broken it in Chrome. Another Firefox advantage gone.

I've been using Vivaldi for the last week, and I'm very impressed. It's almost like the classic Opera I knew and loved, but with color management and self-destructing cookies. I'm almost but not quite at the point of making it my default browser. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to replace the source page viewer (control-U) with Notepad++, as I have long done in Firefox.

Mozilla has just announced a major revamp of Firefox, including a new user interface. I haven't seen it yet. But if I have to get used to (and gamma test) a "new" browser, this might be the right time to make a complete switch to Vivaldi.

• @trmarcus said in Greetings!:

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to replace the source page viewer (control-U) with Notepad++, as I have long done in Firefox.

That's something I still use Opera 12.18 for to edit the source code of local files. I use Notepad 2. I would support your request too. I don't see it in the FQ thread yet. This feature request would work for me:

@yes-aravind said in Feature requests for 1.13:

Edit and save changes from page source to modify a webpage locally like Opera 12.

• Follow-up:

The new Firefox arrived yesterday. Lots of things farkled. The New York Times is unreadable. YouTube shows a black box instead of video. Etc.

Rather than spending the time to diagnose and fix the problems with the new browser Mozilla gave me, I opened up Vivaldi and ticked the "Make default browser" button.

So long, Mozilla. It's been a decent ride, but I'm not interested in volunteering to gamma-test your browser.

• Vivaldi Team

Welcome. Make sure to send in feature requests for things like the source page viewer. We aim to keep you happy here with us. :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.