Standalone: How can I permamently install extensions?

• I failed to permanently install extensions into a standalone installation of Vivaldi. What I want to do is install the browser, extensions and all into my home directory in order to use it in a corporate network environment without having to use the software deployment framework of our network. While Vivaldi itself works fine, I cannot permanently install extensions: When I logout and login again on the same of on another machine, all addons are gone.

In this topic, someone mentions that the reason for this behaviour is that the extensions "are bound to the Windows user account".

Question 1: Under which path are extensions saved? I'm unable to find it on my own.
    Question 2: Is there a way to change the path of where the extensions are saved?

Another user mentions the following workaround:

@werty8763 said in How Standalone is the Standalone installation?:

(...)Go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data and copy the "Default" folder from there to your standalone folder....
    Put the "default" folder in Vivaldi Portable (your root directory; mine is named vivaldi portable)->User Data; replace the "default" folder with the one that you copied from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Vivaldi\User Data..... :)
    Then all your extensions, settings, bookmarks, etc. will stay with your standalone version..... ;)
    NOTE: Be sure to close all instances or vivaldi before doing this or your browser might become corrupted..... ;)
    (...)

Since there is no "Default" folder in the path mentioned above, the workaround doesn't work for me, at least in the latest Vivaldi version.

Question 3: If the answer to question 2 is "no", does anybody know a working workaround to truly make the standalone installation standalone?

Thanks in advance.

• The extension themselves are saved in your profile - for most people that is in their user AppData directory. In your case, well, see Help > About.

On my standard installation they are in C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default\Extensions, there are separate folders for Extension State and Extension Rules (not sure what that would be)

@lv22lv22 Standalone is not portable. Extensions (and passwords saved to Vivaldi) are only permanent on the machine and user profile (unique user ID) where the standalone version was originally installed. This is why it's called "standalone" and not "portable."

• Thank you everyone for your replies. If I manage to find a way to somehow move the extensions into my home directory, I'll reply in this topic.

• @lv22lv22 said in Standalone: How can I permamently install extensions?:

I failed to permanently install extensions into a standalone installation of Vivaldi. What I want to do is install the browser, extensions and all into my home directory in order to use it in a corporate network environment without having to use the software deployment framework of our network. While Vivaldi itself works fine, I cannot permanently install extensions ... someone mentions that the reason for this behaviour is that the extensions "are bound to the Windows user account".

The "binding" to which you refer involves the actual encryption of the browser's passwords and installed extensions using the key/hash created uniquely by the OS for each user account and machine on which Vivaldi is installed. Decryption (and the ensuing usage) can only be accomplished from within that same user account on that same machine. This is an internal privacy protection mechanism of the chromium engine design, so unless browser developers have elected to create an entire separate infrastructure to implement their own 'parallel' protection mechanism, you'll find it to be common among chromium browsers. If you should discover a "way around" the protection scheme that results in successfully accessing the passwords/extensions wherever they're stored from an account other than the original user account on the original computer, it would be good to report it, since that would represent a potential security vulnerability.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.