Browser becomes 'not responding' for up to 8 seconds when regaining focus

• I get the weirdest performance issue with Vivaldi (v. 1.12.955.48 - 32bit on Win 7).
    When it is being used actively, it seems to run okay, but if I switch to another window, then return to Vivaldi, any action; scroll, click or type, the browser enters a 'not responding' status for between 6 to 8 seconds.

This 'lag' is an inconvenient impediment to taking up this browser on a more permanent basis.
    This is happening on a clean install, done yesterday, and today, after a cold start, it is still doing it.

I didn't see anyone else mention this, so perhaps this is unique to me…

• do you have any particular antivirus which might interfere?

• Well, I do have an Anti-Virus suite (Avast) installed.
    I don't see this issue with Chrome or Firefox either.

• I have Avast free and Win7 32bit too but I never seen this problem so far. I'm already using Vivaldi 1.13 snapshots though.

• I tried something similar just now.
    I installed v. 1.13.1008.14 (Official Build) (64-bit), but the lag on regaining focus still happens.
    Vivaldi mustn't like something on my computer, which could be a myriad of anything :)

… and it's not an extension either. Turned them all off and recycled the browser, and the lag persists even in 'vanilla mode', not that I would use a browser without certain extensions. What a waste of time that would be.

@drgreen7 Disabling extensions does not remove them. It is not unusual for a "disabled" extension to continue to have an effect on the browser.

• @ayespy said in Browser becomes 'not responding' for up to 8 seconds when regaining focus:

Disabling extensions does not remove them. It is not unusual for a "disabled" extension to continue to have an effect on the browser.

That kind of defeats the purpose of the "disable" function. I would call into question why the browser would load and start executing an extension that was 'disabled'.

• @ayespy said in Browser becomes 'not responding' for up to 8 seconds when regaining focus:

it will be something on your system actually actively interfering with Vivaldi in some way.

I guess that could be a possibility.
    It is rather odd that it would interfere with Vivaldi, but not Google Chrome which allegedly use the same engine, and no interference with Firefox.
    If the Anti-Virus was interfering, there would most likely by a dialogue box alerting to the action. What would that leave? The OS? Well, can't do much about that…

@drgreen7 And usually it will not be Vivaldi disliking something on your system, but rather something on your system actively interfering with Vivaldi.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.