Which geeky programming languages have you learned, used in past and now?

• My first one, in late 70's, was FORTAN on a PDP11 (or UNIVAC 9400 -- i dont rember yet) used for calculation of some biochemical processes. Some years later i learned hackin hex assember (on a 8bit µC) with hex keyboard and 7 segment LED. Later i learned Z80 assembler and PASCAL on a selft built CP/M system. As a student in informatics i learned Modula and C. While working as a programmer and electronics engineer my languages were mostly FORTH and 6502 asm. Sometimes i programmed some Psacal, for the administration backend of a 24h testing system for ABS brake sensors at BOSCH Germany. Now i'm working with Perl creating webapps and server administration programs.

• FORTRAN, 6502 assembler, 6809 assembler, Ferranti Sirius machine code, IBM 1401 SPS, half a dozen COBOLs that were supposed to be interchangeable but weren't, a dozen BASICs some of which were very sophisticated and powerful, and a few database managers that are best forgotten.
    I, too, am very old.
    At the moment I am writing some nifty process control stuff using the Picaxe.

• Sinclair Basic, assembler on Intel 8088, Pascal and Borland Delphi.
    Loved Delphi, Program the visual objects in Delphi and inline code assembler to make it fast and small. Delphi Compiler took care of the ugly details.
    Almost forgot dBase II and all after, both interpreted and compiled. I generally think sudo-code in dBase.

• Fortran, hex code for the 1802, several kinds of BASIC (but that's not geeky), Pascal, Forth, ISETL, too many novelty languages for me to remember …

As far as I'm concerned, it can't get geekier than straight hex. :whistle:

• Ferranti Argus machine code, SOFOR (Southampton Fortran, 1968), 6502 machine code, Forth, Cobol, BBC Basic for Windows, etc, etc. Gave up trying to learn C++…

• Learned Algol; taught Basic, Comal, Fortran, Pascal, COBOL, Simula for beginners; took some exams in C and C++; tried out Delphi and dBase II a little; fooled around with Java, JavaScript, LaTeX, Lisp, PHP, … B)

• When I started programming, it was IBM 1620 absolute machine code. There was a sort of assembler available, the Symbolic Programming System, but that seemed harder than just programming numerically. I'm not sure if this counts as "geeky" though because back in 1968 there were business analysts writing code at this same level. My favorite language was Pascal, flexible, structured, and usable at any level from bits to business applications.

• Over the years: SCATRAN & FORTRAN on mainframes, PL/M & ISIS on Intellec 8 and other 8080-grade development gear, BASIC, a variety of high-level application macro symbolic languages, and a smattering of ADA. Now: as little code contact as possible… it's time to let another generation handle that kind of heavy lifting. ;)

• Geekiest: Forth I would have to say.

All else was pretty mainstream.

• Started with a TRS/80 Model 1, BASIC was on board but graduated to Z80 assembler within a few days.

Then on to Pascal, COBOL, Fortran, Lisp, C, Forth, REBOL, …

Geekiest would have to be the esoteric languages. I've posted cbrain, and small s.c.r.i.p.t. so far. cogbrain should be posted shortly.

http://esolangs.org/wiki/Cbrain and small s.c.r.i.p.t.

small s.c.r.i.p.t. is written completely in COBOL, cbrain has an engine in C and helper (CB (citizen band) jokes) in COBOL, including a Frog sort inspired by Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2831

Here is 99 bottles of beer on the wall in 190 bytes of small s.c.r.i.p.t.

:S-{3!}s+;:Z{no3!}#;:BbottleS of beer;:Oon the wall;:Mmore;099+[# B O\, # B\.
    Take one down and pass it around\, -Z B O\.10.
    ]No M B O\, no M B\.
    Go to the store and buy some M4\, 99 B O\.

Currently one of the GNU maintainers for GNU Cobol, so the plan is to stay vintage, well into the future.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/

Cheers,
    Brian

• I learned Java, C++, Assembler and LabView.
    At the moment i am trying to learn Qt in my free time B)

• Well, I'm quite "young" so things like Fortran are history for me ;)

I think the first contact with code was just HTML in beginning of the 90s. It's no real programming language, but I took off from there to Java-Script to Pearl and C.
    Our school had an Informatics class with Basic and later there was a cooperation with a local university and some of us learned C, C++, Java. During my studies I got into "everything". C, C++, Java, VHDL, Assembler (some Intel I think…), and back to HTML and PHP.
    Currently I'm working as a PLC programmer and because I use Instruction List most of the time, I think I'm "back" to Assembler ;) Always wanted to read myself into SCL but didn't manage for now ...

• @Geisterkarle:

Well, I'm quite "young" so things like Fortran are history for me ;)

I think the first contact with code was just HTML in beginning of the 90s. It's no real programming language, but I took off from there to Java-Script to Pearl and C.

Same with me :lol:

I had programming courses at school that were based on Turbo Pascal.

Everything else was quite standard, reaching from Java over C to some typical web languages.

• Vivaldi Team

As many, I have been through a lot of languages. I started programming Basic on the Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair Spectrum and the Sinclair QL. On the QL, there was SuperBasic that was quite a different Basic language as it did not use line numbers and had functions. I guess I also played a bit with assembly language at the time.

On the Atari ST and Amiga, I programmed mostly in C and assembly language.

At university we programmed in a lot of different languages, including Simula, which used to be the first programming language you would learn at the university of Oslo. Other languages included Pascal, Fortran, Lisp, C, C++, Modula, Ada and Assembly language. During my University years I also programmed Lisp in Emacs.

When I programmed Fm2html, I programmed mostly in C++ and Perl. Opera is programmed in C++, so I guess that is what I have worked mostly with, although that is not that unique.

Cheers, Jon.

• Dang, I'm starting to think that WE are a bunch of nerds here. I started with a Radio Shack Color Computer, similar to the Dragon computer in the UK. Them spent 15 years in mainframe assembler. Now mostly C language.
    And now learning Java.

Happy Days!

• What is a "geeky" programming language - something which was not mainstream at the time?

I suppose COBOL and FORTRAN are un-geeky because they were the mainstream standards. Assemblers, on the other hand, are at the root of geekiness. My first assembler was for CDC 3300. And MIX, the language Donald Knuth defined for his virtual educational computer, must be über-geeky! It had a byte that could hold decimal values from 0 - 999.

I have used assemblers for 8080, Z-80, 8505, 8088, 8986, 8087, 80286/287, 80386 and just barely for the newer x86 processors. On bigger systems I programmed in assembler for NCR 315, Kongsberg SM-4 and KS-500 and IBM S/360.

Of geeky high-level languages I will mention Algol 60, Simula 67, Smalltalk, MODULA-2, FORTH, PROLOG and REXX.

These days I only dabble in relatively un-geeky languages like Python, Java, and Javascript.

• And I just recalled a geeky curiosity called Lingua Perligata. It was based on Perl (which I do not master well) to create a programming language based on Latin grammar! I wrote one small program just to try it, it was rather fun.

Mirabilis, sed non laudabilis.

• Sinclair Basic, ZX80 Assembler.

• fortran and scada for me:)

• During my time at the university GMAP.
    I never ever had to wirte even one instruction in that language afterwards.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.