Google search strings showing up in typed address bar

• Since installing 1.12.955.38-1 (and the same with 1.12.955.42-1), google search field strings have been polluting my typed address bar history.

It's showing the Google favicon, the letter y and whatever search terms were typed. Like "y whatever I last typed in the field at google"

The formatting leads me to believe that this isn't something that's supposed to happen?

At first I thought it was just a database conversion thing with the new version, but clearing it doesn't fix the behaviour. (it clears the address bar but next time I search at google.com they will get stored there)

This occurs on both Linux and Windows platforms for me, hence "All platforms".

The entries can be deleted by clicking the x beside them (thanks for that by the way! I love Vivaldi's address bar) but next time I use Google it will populate again.

Is this a "bug" or something intentional that's just not displaying correctly? I don't supposed there's any way to turn off (even from the chrome:// end of things) that behaviour? I want my typed address bar history (I actually rely on that) but having a third party form submission like Google search showing up in my address bar makes that a pain in the ass.

• Thank you Ian, I did look around (manually) but I guess I didn't go in those subforums.

I just started to seriously think about that as a problem today (I've just been clicking to delete them), and have since noted that it doesn't happen EVERY time, it just seemed like it because when it does, there's a bunch of "y blah blah" entries in there.

• Well, let's hope I'm not speaking prematurely, but this has not happened again since changing the browser's "Search Engine" (in the top right field beside address bar) to DuckDuckGo. I was thinking something other than google selected there might work around it. I don't actually use search engines in that manner anyway, I just go to a search engine (google.ca usually) when I want to search.

That MIGHT be a workaround for anyone annoyed by this problem until it's fixed.

Edit: Unfortunately, it just happened again for the first time since. I thought it was solved, because it was happening to me very frequently. It went for a week or so without.

• @grogan Very glad to read you changed to DDG. As i read this thread i was constantly asking myself, "But why are they using !&^$# Google? Why would anyone still use such privacy-commoditising spyware these days?".

• I use it because it works for me, and I don't need to wear any tinfoil hat.

• @grogan

Unfortunately, it just happened again for the first time since. I thought it was solved, because it was happening to me very frequently. It went for a week or so without.

I guess it doesn't have anything to do with the "search provider" being Google. Again, these are google searches at google.ca, not address bar or browser search field searches.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.