Battery time comparison vs Opera with battery saving?

• As in thread name.
    Does anyone tested the avg. difference in time between them?

@fgf45 No point. "They" have battery-saving, and we don't. We're too immature to delve into non-fundamental operations like that.

• Well ... sure there is a point, but one would expect Opera has posted how their own browser performs with and without battery saver, and that Vivaldi would be similar to the latter. Mind you, most of the stuff battery saver does could be done manually.

• Well, i also opine that there is no point, but for a different reason. It would not matter to me if some other browser had such fabulous power management capabilities that it actually self-generated electrons, reduced a country's gross debt, put money in my bank, etc. If said putative other browser still had a crap UI, poor user configurability, no stacked tabs [etc], & highly suspect user data security & privacy, i simply would not use it.

• Preferring dark and black backgrounds in the browser and Web page (using the Dark Reader extension, which remembers the pages where it have to activate), I can lengthen the autonomy of my laptop in more than an hour, apart from tiring less my eyes.
    White backgrounds are energy devourers, all the pixels lit up to the maximum. Good for books, but not so for screens.

• @catweazle Depends on the screen. With an AMOLED display, you can indeed save battery life by using dark sites, because only the parts of the screen are lit, that aren't completely black. But the same isn't true for normal screens, since even completely black (#000) areas still have background lightning. And AMOLED displays are only used on specific smartphones, so keeping your Vivaldi browser sites dark doesn't really save battery life. Maybe it's better on your eyes or something, but it's not an energy concern.

• @luetage said in Battery time comparison vs Opera with battery saving?:

@catweazle Depends on the screen. With an AMOLED display, you can indeed save battery life by using dark sites, because only the parts of the screen are lit, that aren't completely black. But the same isn't true for normal screens, since even completely black (#000) areas still have background lightning. And AMOLED displays are only used on specific smartphones, so keeping your Vivaldi browser sites dark doesn't really save battery life. Maybe it's better on your eyes or something, but it's not an energy concern.

It is correct, but also in backlit displays there is a big difference between backlighting + all pixels and backlighting only.
    Regardless of this, as I mentioned, a black or dark background dazzles and tires the eyes less what most older people especially notice.

Regarding the topic, I have not noticed significant differences in energy savings between one or another browser (I have practically all of them, including some exotic ones such as Ur, Greenbrowser, Opera Neon, etc.)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.