Get the latest news about Vivaldi (and more) right in Vivaldi

• Vivaldi Voice

I built a little thing for Vivaldis web panels:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5VD7qdTY2M

Why?
    I really like checking the new while browsing the web and I love the webpanels in Vivaldi. So one day I tried to put a newsstream into a webpanel. But that wasn't enough...
    I'd love to have a stream of news from different sources - ordered in a chronological timeline. Like twitter, but for news.

I couldn't find any service to match my needs and I always wanted to dive deeper into PHP and Javascript. So I build a website I could use to configure feeds and put them into channels.
    Maybe you'd like to have the same feature in Vivaldi?
    If your answer is yes - here is the good news. You can grab my little project from github and use it on your own server - for free!

Download it here
    https://github.com/saschadiercks/personalNews

If you would like to get some more informations, including docs and demos - head over here:
    http://metafolio.de/landing/personalnews/

I hope you enjoy this little project as much as I did while developing it.

Your feedback is appreciated :)

• Isn't this comparable to what opera does with their news feed?

• Well it works, I have no idea about php but I managed to setup a local server and load this from your github
    Two small issues I found..

• No favicon in webpanel
    • Site gives multiple warnings (for each feed one?)

Edit: managed to get rid of the warnings by exchanging strotime with date_default_timezone_set() in render-feeds.php lines 59 and 60.

• Vivaldi Voice

@luetage
    Thanks for the feedback. It's pretty strange that you don't have a favicon and multiple error-warnings.
    About the favicon: have you tried uploading all the contents to a live server? It's possible that you don't get a favicon on a local machine.

Thanks for the info about the errors. May I ask giving me one or two URLs of feeds where this happens? I'd like to investigate further and update the repository.

I hope you enjoy this little helper. :)

Thanks in advance,
    Sascha

• Vivaldi Voice

@luetage I haven't used Opera in a while, but I really liked their news timeline. I guess Vivaldi will implement something like this sooner or later.
    In the meantime I really like using this tool, because I can get a personalized newsstream in my main-browser and on my mobile phone as well.

• I got the errors with your preconfigured sites, since I wanted to try it out before editing in my own. Might as well be that it works on a live server, but I have no use for one at the moment.

Since then I have edited in the feeds from my feed reader extension and many of them have a date from 1970 (begin of unix time). This means the feed is filled up with all blogs/sites with this problem, and then somewhere down the line I have the latest ones from 2017 and then the ones from 2016 etc.

Examples of feeds which share this problem:

• Vivaldi Voice

@luetage That's strange. The problem might be that there is no timezone set on your local environment.

So I've added a default timezone to the repository and I've update the demo-page with two of your feeds (one throws an SSL-error). Head over here: http://metafolio.de/fragments/personalnews/ and open the channel "Test". The feeds are ordered chronologically there. So it seems to work now.
    The default timezone in the repository is set to Europe/Berlin (in config/config.php). If you are living in another timezone the actual date of the feed might differ but the ordering should work. I guess I'll have to integrate some sort of timezone-picker.

Feel free to re-download the updated repository (backup your data.json before, so you don't accidentally replace it)
    https://github.com/saschadiercks/personalNews

• @saschadiercks Yeah, that seems to do the trick. I set the timezone myself in the last version, but maybe I somehow messed the code up. Still strange that it worked for some feeds, and for others not. The disappearing favicon issue is actually a common problem on Vivaldi and can be worked around with a simple mod. Probably no issue with your coding.

• Vivaldi Voice

@luetage I'm using strtotime to get the date from each post to convert it into a unix timestamp. This timestamp is then used to sort the post in chronological order. If strtotime is removed, the will no longer work - resulting in the problem you described.

But in the end I'm happy it's working now and without your feedback, this wouldn't be the case. So, thank your for your time.

• Vivaldi Voice

Update: I made a small update to this little project.

• Feedtext is now shortened after the end of a sentences not in the sentence
    • If the feed has unnessecary whitespace, the whitespace is trimmed (no longer leading to miscalculation of the length of the feedtext)

• Vivaldi Voice

Blacklisting of uninteresting news is now possible via json-configuration. This is another small update, that I hope, you will enjoy. And the shortening of feeds wasn't working properly. This is fixed too.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.