Missing Web Page Icons, Including This Site

• On a fresh Windows 10 install, with the latest Vivaldi build and ones before it, many sites are missing nearly every one of their little navigation button icons, often icons that are needed to see what a button does. This doesn't happen with any other browser I've tried. I've pared down my extensions, to no avail.

I can't even see the forum editor icons so have to hover over them to see their tooltips.

0_1508797123333_Vivaldi-Missing-Icons.jpg

The same issue happened on Windows 7 before I started again on Windows 10.

• Deleted due to my not clicking on the image and seeing it full size, thereby misunderstanding the issue. Sorry for the noise.

BTW, I don't get the OP's problem on my set-up (Windows 10).

@nikwillmore Cannot reproduce this. Something wrong with your Windows, with your Vivaldi install, or some interference from 3rd party software (extensions or security software).

You say "I've pared down my extensions, to no avail." What you ought to try is to refresh your profile and thereby remove extensions and settings from the mix altogether. Then add back your extensions or make your settings changes one at a time, to find out what's doing it. Because for sure, you have a problem unique to your system.

• Yes, renaming my Default folder did restore icons and I just have to do trial and error, getting back to having bookmarks and extensions, which at worst I'll just have to write down what the extensions are and add them back, thanks.

• I was not as careful before as I thought, in checking extension conflicts. It was a relatively obscure extension called Font Changer With Google Fonts:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/font-changer-with-google/jgjhhoglgjdklldfgoffdiaceffijeke?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

Reading the reviews there, it seems it's not just a Vivaldi issue, but is a problem for likely Chrome users too.

• @nikwillmore As a kludge, a good one, I just had to download and install the Krona One font from Google and set that in my Vivaldi font setting, so I don't even need the extension any more.

It's practically a "screen font" in readability.

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Krona+One?selection.family=Krona+One

• @nikwillmore This fails on many web sites, since Vivaldi only lets you set a default font, but not force that font to be used on all web sites. Why won't Vivaldi let me simply select my own damn font? This is absolutely entry level stuff, here, for such a claimed to be customizable browser. I don't want to have to relearn CSS style sheets, which is how I used to force Firefox to set fonts the same for every site.

• When I do use a custom CSS extension, like Stylish, it too nukes web site icons.

* {
      font-family: Krona !important;
      font-size: 20 !important;
    }

• @nikwillmore Please read section code block in http://commonmark.org/help/ to format code in forum.

• Those extensions that said could change fonts on the fly like to breaks view. So, be warn on that.

Beside that, if you see that empty box (called Tofu) again, check if you have blocker extensions or external programs that block webfont.

• @nikwillmore
    Just * font-family most of time too broad for pages. See that *? That mean replace all fonts.

You need to do extra look up for some pages.

• You see, users need some knowledge what CSS is doing or they should ask here some people with webdev knowledge before they use the global selector * in their CSS.

• @gwen-dragon
    Very useful background info, dLeon. It sounds like many sites are using custom fonts in order to create little icons as buttons yet there's no equivalent for those characters in a standard text font, so it comes up as "tofu" blocks?

The problem was though that the more polite font changer extensions failed completely to do anything on most web sites, which I why I shopped around for more active ones.

This is way more CSS than I want to have to know, since I don't want to have to program just to change my everyday reading font in a browser! Vivaldi should handle this, period, especially in an ear of gray fonts on gray backgrounds. I simply cannot read the screen at age 52 with my current progressive, screen-friendly bifocals combined with the general Windows destruction of tight pixel-based screen fonts. I used to install the screen font Geneva 9pt from the Macintosh, to deal with it, but ironically with such high resolution monitors, you can't use screen fonts any more since Windows blurs everything, no matter what you try in very arcane settings.

Google's Kronos One comes closest to a clear screen font. Ironically very high resolution monitors and the miniature screens of laptops are easier for me to read since I can just move closer to the screen without glasses, or move effectively further away too, for glasses to work. No, no, it's my expensive LaCie 324i at home that is physically too big so I have to move way back and can barely reach my trackball if I'm back far enough to read the screen.

The biggest irony of all is that around 2006 I switched completely from the Mac to the PC because Apple finally locked out third-party control panels that let me change my desktop font to Geneva 9pt, and they only offered a blobby shadow font that I could not read long file names from since it was all truncated, no matter what. So they broke the desktop. Boom, I got Windows XP through Windows 7 to emulate the classic MacOS 9 interfaces, via customizability. It took a custom CSS style sheet though for Firefox. Chrome broke that, after Firefox became bloated full of bugs and I had to move on. Vivaldi seemed like the promise I was looking for, with vertical tabs I could actually read. Nope! Feeling near blind at a very healthy age 52 isn't fun and it isn't fair since I can read laptops just fine!

When I'm again richer, I'll have to get a 4K (or actually "3K") monitor instead of this huge LaCie, all because software now sucks and won't let you pick your own reading font while retaining full web page function. And none of the CSS experts can offer a working extension for that! I had so switch to Vivaldi in fact, since Chrome itself was locking users out of many web sites due to some sort of security certificate activism, and I couldn't even use Google because of it. That's just crazy!

• @nikwillmore TYPO: "ear" = "era." I'd edit it but when I try then "Post content was flagged as spam by Akismet.com" comes up, even though I'm just fixing two letters in a successful link-free post and I can edit this little post just fine.

• @nikwillmore

This is way more CSS than I want to have to know, since I don't want to have to program just to change my everyday reading font in a browser! Vivaldi should handle this, period, especially in an ear of gray fonts on gray backgrounds.

You need Vivaldi to display darker fonts right?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.