New 2 Vivaldi - any way 2 import Firefox Bookmarks??

• I'm totally new to Vivaldi - Is there a way to import Firefox Bookmarks and site credentials?? I've searched the setup tools pages and I find nothing about how to import Bookmarks, Passwords, other credentials from Firefox or any other Browser! EVERY other Browser has this and in fact the first time you use the new Browser after installation, the Browser asks if you want to import these things from the Browser you've been using. I know that Opera does it, (though it doesn't work well) and Firefox, Chrome and Seamonkey does this and it's easy to find in the Tools sections. If it's hidden somewhere, please help me find this. I did do a Forum search and noticed a few posts from a couple years ago that Imports from Firefox didn't work, failing to import anything.

Thanks.

• No, password can't be imported (at least for what I know).
    But bookmark can be imported via html file (from firefox) and is under File in menubar on Vivaldi.

• @cobrajockey You can import your bookmarks. Open the Bookmarks Manager
    (ctrl+B or open it from the Start page), click "Import" in the upper right and select the way you want to import your bookmarks (from Firefox or a HTML file if you have already exported them that way).
    For the other things, I don't know, I don't have that need.

• If you go to Tools -> Bookmarks you can select import on the far right hand side. Select Firefox from the drop down list and select the items you want to import, including Password.

Thanks,

• @cobrajockey

Chrome and Seamonkey does this and it's easy to find in the Tools sections.

I don't know why you didn't try to search in other menus. Vivaldi menu barely contains anything. :confused:

1. File > Import Bookmark and Settings.
    2. Bookmarks Manager: Import button.

Import could be done for the most major branded browsers. Plus Yandex it seems.

And for bookmarks, just like @hlehyaric said, you could do like most browsers support, import/export from/to HTML.

[Citation needed] Chromium import from Firefox for Passwords, Search Engine List, History List were broken?
    I never bother to investigate these. I don't put site passwords in browsers. I could always build up my favorite search engine list in no time. History list, I clear them up in a regular basis, so importing them is a no, even if I want to.

• @hadden89 It do can import password from firefox to vivaldi

• Re bookmarks, I think this points to a fundamental usability flaw. Yes you can MANUALLY import them. But that's not the point I think. Really what Vivaldi should do is auto-launch a wizard upon installation to import data from other browsers. Other browsers do this (Firefox, Edge, Chrome all do it), so it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I mean, if the devs truly want Vivaldi to be as successful as possible, then you really have no choice but to make it as user friendly as possible. That includes friendly to people who don't properly look through the menus or simply missed the option as well.

• @lord_lolzworth said in New 2 Vivaldi - any way 2 import Firefox Bookmarks??:

If you go to Tools -> Bookmarks you can select import on the far right hand side. Select Firefox from the drop down list and select the items you want to import, including Password.

Thanks,

Odd. My one offers only 4 choices, & FF ain't one of 'em.

0_1508382162735_20171019_006.png

@dccxviii said in New 2 Vivaldi - any way 2 import Firefox Bookmarks??:

Other browsers do this and it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Famous last words.

Comments such as this are best left to people who are actively developing one-of-a-kind browsers on top of an engine over which they have no control. If you are doing so, please expound.

• @ayespy You don't need to be a programmer to see almost all other major browsers having a feature/function that this one doesn't. Then coming to the conclusion that its therefore the new norm/base line and thus should be implemented in any other browser wanting to compete in the same arena.

If on the other hand Vivaldi is purposely not going to be aimed at competing with such browsers, then that's a different story. And that's fine too.

You shouldn't misinterpret my post as an attack. More of a feature request.

@dccxviii I take your point.

You also don't need to be a programmer to differentiate between a 20-year-old browser with a development team of hundreds and a 2-year-old browser with a development team of 20 or less.

That something is the "norm" in no way implies that it is easy or automatic. As Vivaldi matures, it will adopt more and more of the features that "everyone expects" from "every browser." But first, it will seek to fulfill its promise of being the most configurable browser for people who rely on the web to do their work. That's why my comment in response to "...it shouldn't be too hard to implement." That's an erroneous assumption, but one that is of all-too-common a type from users who assume there are assembly lines and dies available from which everyone can simply stamp out browsers and have them meet a standard of "usual."

I didn't take your comment as an attack. - Just a poorly-informed assumption. I'm always a little bemused by users who check out Vivaldi because they are looking for something "new and different," and then report problems because the "new and different" browser doesn't have all the traits they expect from their old, same-ole same-ole browser. The crew here are building from the ground up. They will get where they are going in time. :)

• This post is deleted!

• @cobrajockey said in New 2 Vivaldi - any way 2 import Firefox Bookmarks??:

I've searched the setup tools pages and I find nothing about how to import Bookmarks, Passwords, other credentials from Firefox or any other Browser!

If you looked at the Help file (F1) you would have found it quite easily. It seems to import a lot more than just bookmarks, but I don't use Firefox other than for testing sites, so I don't have any data to import.

0_1508401331623_Import Firefox Bookmarks and Settings.png

Old Opera was always a bit different to other browsers, which is why we chose it. Throughout it's long development cycle, those migrating from Firefox and other browsers made assumptions and even demands about how it should behave, what the shortcuts should be, etc. Over the years, some accommodation was made to placate such users, but I don't think they deserve it. The onus on new users is to adjust their ways and learn how the new software works before asking for things to be changed to suit them. Vivaldi was created by the former CEO of Opera Browser, Jon von Tetzchner, so you should expect it to be different to mainstream browsers.

I am not particularly fond of software automatically doing anything without being asked to do it, and even a popup that asked if I want to import data from other browsers would be irritating. There is a simple startup wizard for new users (vivaldi://welcome) that asks them how they want to configure the Tab position, and a few other settings. That wizard could be enhanced to ask about importing data too, but I think it already does enough to greet new users.

These forums are full of users who will tell you where to find things and workaround problems.

• The point is why should the average user need to hunt down work arounds. Work arounds never fix issues. Fix the issue and be done with it. Those of us who have been "longtime (?)" users know how to look for answers. The average user wants "easy". The average user probably won't/can't appreciate Vivaldi. Vivaldi is not a simple browser. I've been using Vivaldi for several months now and I'm still learning Vivaldi. Vivaldi has a steeper learning curve than any other browser.

Bottom line: If you want "easy" use Chrome. If you want a "personal" browser use Vivaldi.
    FYI, I have Chrome installed but not set up. I don't like Chrome. I like Vivaldi...it's personal.

• @para-noid said in New 2 Vivaldi - any way 2 import Firefox Bookmarks??:

Work arounds never fix issues. Fix the issue and be done with it.

Not using workarounds does not fix issues either. Fixing issues takes time — a lot of time in most cases. New users would be waiting for years, not just a few weeks for a solution.

Just ask. There is usually another way to achieve the same result, and even if there's not, you won't waste your time searching for it.

• @steffie do you have firefox installed? i think it only shows what it can see an install directory for.

fwiw it shows for me..

alt text

on an aside, dont know why people in this thread are so upset..
    File> Import bookmarks and settings is pretty simple

yes a wizard on install wouldnt be bad though

• @dimspace Hiya. Yes FF is definitely installed [by default in my distro*, even though i rarely use it], in both my Tower & my Lappy. I posted my earlier reply on Tower, & atm i'm on Lappy... its V-SS also does not list FF in the dropdown.

*Aaaargh, i'm a goose, this is a Windows thread, not All Versions, so I should not have replied before. Maybe it's a bug in the Linux V's [but even if so, that's OT for this thread]. Maybe other Linux users might care to jump in here [or in a new thread]?

Sorry to have been silly.

• @steffie nah, im in linux and its fine for me. i hadnt noticed this was a windows thread either :D

• @dimspace Thanks! I solved it. I use Firejail to sandbox the majority of my pgms, including all my browsers of course, thus including both V's. Given that FJ is ubiquitous for me, i often forget that i'm using it [i created custom launchers in Cairo-Dock incorporating FJ for all my common pgms, & CD is my go-to place for starting all these pgms (the standard KDE Applications Menu still contains all the standard launchers, if ever i need to run pgms sans FJ)]. The cause of my V's not seeing the Mozilla Firefox import option, was simply FJ doing its job. This morning, as soon as i read your reply, i had my "Aha" moment, coz that was when i realised the FJ likelihood. I've now tested both V's running "naked", & sure enough, both include M FF in the list.

Handing back this thread now from my unintended hijack... my apologies to @Cobrajockey .

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.