Vivaldi doesn't want to start after a random crash

• Browser just had a random crash (it's the first time browser has ever crashed) and now doesn't want to start, reinstalling didn't help. I have Widnows 7 64x

• @yanlesiuk said in Vivaldi doesn't want to start after a random crash:

Browser just had a random crash (it's the first time browser has ever crashed) and now doesn't want to start, reinstalling didn't help. I have Widnows 7 64x

for whatever reason browser does work in incognito mode

• Not the first crash ever but I have the same problem here. Win10 64x

debug.log shows this:
    [1018/170517.251:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0xfcc22cde00000000, size 0x21f fully unreadable
    [1018/170517.251:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0xfcc22cfe00000000, size 0x21f fully unreadable
    [1018/170517.251:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0x0, size 0x21f fully unreadable
    [1018/170517.582:ERROR:process_info.cc(396)] NtQuerySystemInformation SystemExtendedHandleInformation: Die angegebene Datensatzlänge der Informationen stimmt nicht mit der für die angegebene Informationsklasse erforderlichen Datensatzlänge überein. (0xc0000004)
    [1018/171541.089:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0x8eac2b3e00000000, size 0x210 fully unreadable
    [1018/171541.089:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0x8eac2b5e00000000, size 0x210 fully unreadable
    [1018/171541.089:ERROR:process_info.cc(632)] range at 0x0, size 0x210 fully unreadable

• Alright, seems like it works now.
    What I did:

- Navigate to 'User Data' folder (\Vivaldi\User Data)
    - Rename 'Default' folder into 'DefaultOld'
    - Start Vivaldi
    - Close Vivaldi
    - Copy all contents of 'DefaultOld' into newly created 'Default' folder, but NOT overwrite any files.
    - Copy all these files from the 'DefaultOld' into 'Default' and DO overwrite files: https://i.imgur.com/lGinIR3.png
    - Done

I still lost my previous session though which sucks. This happens too often with vivaldi.

Edit: Nope... Still keeps crashing... Please help =(
    I'm also on the latest version 1.12.955.38 Windows 10 64x

• @ayespy
    That's what I did. I just need to know which files I can copy and which ones I can't.
    There should be a way to determine which file is causing the crash.

• @qubit said in Vivaldi doesn't want to start after a random crash:

I just need to know which files I can copy and which ones I can't.

Copy only:

• Notes
    • Login Data
    • Bookmarks

Redo your settings.
    If you have extensions reinstall them.

@qubit said in Vivaldi doesn't want to start after a random crash:

There should be a way to determine which file is causing the crash.

Oh yes, there is, very much work. :cry:
    Folder by folder, file by file. After one file start Vivaldi, see if it crashes, if not next file. And so on… And this will cost you hours of work and will drive you crazy. I do not recommend this.

@qubit I would add to Gwen-Dragon's comment that it's probably safe to copy over favicons, cookies and history. DO NOT copy anything with "tabs" or "session" in the name of it. Do not copy settings, do not copy extensions-related files.

• @gwen-dragon @ayespy

Oh yes, there is, very much work. :cry:
    Folder by folder, file by file. After one file start Vivaldi, see if it crashes, if not next file. And so on… And this will cost you hours of work and will drive you crazy. I do not recommend this.

That's exactly what I did and in the end, 'Secure Preferences' seems to be the file that caused the crash. All other files were fine to copy and overwrite. I still had to reinstall all my extensions, however all extension settings were still saved.

I hope you can use this information to figure out what caused this error and prevent it in the future. Feel free to let me know if you want me to provide any files or info.

Edit: The biggest annoyance with this is that I lost my last session. I'd love an option that auto saves sessions like every hour or so and not only keep the latest but keep maybe 50 sessions before it starts deleting the older ones. Loosing my session happened too often in the past.

• @qubit said in Vivaldi doesn't want to start after a random crash:

'Secure Preferences' seems to be the file that caused the crash

Please report such bug.

If you found a bug, please report the issue to the developers to fix it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi
    Report each bug seperately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    Add some information about extensions you use.
    Add information about the operating system and version you use.
    If you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics card/GPU.
    Add a exact link to the page where the issue comes up and can be tested.
    After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
    In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.
    If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

• Also again, for everyone with the same problem, here is what worked for me in the end:

• Navigate to 'User Data' folder (\Vivaldi\User Data)
    • Rename 'Default' folder into 'DefaultOld'
    • Start Vivaldi
    • Close Vivaldi
    • Copy all contents of 'DefaultOld' except for the file 'SecurePreferences' into newly created 'Default' folder. Overwrite existing files when asked.
    • Start Vivaldi
    • Reinstall missing Extensions

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.