Curious about why some people keep so many tabs open.

• This isn't to cause a debate or arguments about anyone's preference in their browsing habits, but based on recent discussions I am totally curious about users who like to open 50, 100, 600 tabs; and sometimes in multiple windows. :-O

While my personal browsing habits rarely exceed 5-10 tabs in one window, can someone describe a situation where tens or even hundreds would be needed? Do you use bookmarks at all? Like I said, it's just plain curiosity, and I won't sleep until I know. :p

• It's just an alternate way of using a browser. You have everything you want to work on already open and ready, and you can easily dismiss tabs, open sub tabs and order everything the way you like it, without ever messing with the speed dial or bookmarks (you can use these for other purposes).

To me it's just a bad habit and I couldn't imagine maintaining such a mess. But people who have used browsers this way for a decade or longer, naturally aren't willing to change what works for them. And that's understandable.

• @joelyoung said in Curious about why some people keep so many tabs open.:

50, 100, 600 tabs

Maybe their brain manage to do Real Multitasking somehow. Normal human just can't.

I opt 5-10 in @Pesala post about tabs count.
    I usually lost idea to "what to do on 4th tab" if I leave it for more than 5 minutes. Single tasking here.

This isn't to cause a debate or arguments about anyone's preference in their browsing habits

Mehhh, there will be politician after me.

• I have only opened more than 40 pages to see how many I can open, without letting the little RAM of my PC, but normally I also suffice with 5-10 in normal use. It does not cause any disorder to close the pages to open others, for this I have my bookmarks

• 50 to 100 tabs open on average.

The rest are temporary tabs I load in the background during research or for comparison reasons - but those tabs get closed as soon as I don't need them anymore.

No multi-tasking needed for that - only impatience:
    Heavy weight pages take too long to load and I want to have them at my fingertips when I need them.

• @catweazle said in Curious about why some people keep so many tabs open.:

for this I have my bookmarks

Maximizing the use of bookmarks is good. It 1-2 extensions lower. No extra resources needed. The change to lost addresses is lower than minimum, almost none.
    We don't even need to have Hibernating feature or extension if you use bookmarks. Every contents just re-fetch or read from the cache in any of cases.

People like to use "Session Save" feature or extension that said do just that. Feature that make its name in Firefox era. Unfortunately, sometime also break.
    It fundamentally like "save tabs/addresses in a bookmarks folder". Always there since any 20th century browsers, but no body use it.
    Vivaldi have that too of course.

• @dleon said in Curious about why some people keep so many tabs open.:

Every contents just re-fetch or read from the cache in any of cases.

Once your cache exceeds a certain size, becomes too old, if the site has set expire or no-cache headers or uses cache breakers it will still reload from the web.

Tabs (including hibernation) are my short term memory, sessions and notes mid term, bookmarks forever.

Additionally: Tabs opened from the bookmarks re-validate, such may change their contents - tabs waking up from hibernation don't (or at least should not unless they are 100% dynamic loading pages that fetch data in regular intervals)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.