Upgraded to 1.12.955.38 and it's really bad

• Finally, I upgraded to Vivaldi 1.12.955.38 64bit after the pop up kept pestering me. And I regret it, this update is AWFUL: pages crash or unload randomly (sometimes refreshing doesn't even works, I have to copy the URL and paste it in a new tab for it to load), CPU usage shoots up to 70% (!) when I open a new tab or video, the middle click is all buggy making pages that require a lot of scrolling a pain and worst of all, sometimes the browser closes itself, then restarts randomly. What went wrong? Is anyone else having these issues or is just me?

• If I ever had so many problems I would have already deleted Vivaldi for good. I suspect you have either a corrupted profile or even a compromised PC. So many bad issues are very strange.

• @ian-coog said in Upgraded to 1.12.955.38 and it's really bad:

I suspect you have either a corrupted profile or even a compromised PC

The issues only appear on Vivaldi and only after the update, every other browser I use works fine. I guess it's fresh installation time then, damn it.

• And if you want skip some snaps in future, you could disable update notify in settings

• @mono said in Upgraded to 1.12.955.38 and it's really bad:

I guess it's fresh installation time then

No, not fresh installation per se, but fresh profile... different thing.
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/10388

• @steffie Thanks, very useful info I'll try that.

• OK, I just did the whole profile thing. Started with a brand new clean profile and most issues were gone.... except the HUGE CPU usage when opening new tabs and the buggy middle click that makes scrolling nearly unusable, so my profile wasn't the culprit. Then I tried clean installs of older 1.12 and 1.11 versions, same bugs. Then I reverted to Vivaldi 1.9 and suddenly all the annoying bugs and high CPU usage are gone. What a pain in the ass! I guess I'll stick with this version.

• @mono said in Upgraded to 1.12.955.38 and it's really bad:

I guess I'll stick with this version.

!!! Be sure, you will get security issues, malware infections if you use such old browser versions. !!!

• Like "mono" I still have to use V 1.9 because since V 1.10 it is not possible to use Vivaldi with touchscreens (and we have V 1.12 now!!!).
    Very sad!

• @albinoni I'm using Vivaldi 1.12.955.38 on Windows 10 with a Touch Screen and I'm not having any problems. Which operating system are you using? Do you have Flash enabled? I don't.

• @criverajc It's a surface? Several of them don't work correctly with newer builds. But I hope touch will be fixed for most devices. It needs time (and partial core to UI rewrite, I fear).

• I grabbed my digital :crystal_ball: , polished it gently and after some minutes it glowed in red color and said :tada: :zzz: :loud_sound: :

• GPU is not used
      Check opening vivaldi://gpu
      Have a look in section Graphics Feature Status if there are some red or orange entries.
      Solution may be: Override GPU blacklist
      Open vivaldi://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist
      Activate
      Restart Vivaldi
    • high CPU usage is a result of not-used or the wrong GPU
      Solution may be:
      If you have a on-board and a external GPU please disable the on-board.

• @gwen-dragon
    ive got the same issue but my dedicated gpu is being used.
    when selecting text, clicking links, switching tabs or even minimizing vivaldi there is a huge delay of up to 5 seconds.
    unfortunately i have no clue about the reason.

• I think the majority of users using this great browser are right when complaining about the excessive amount of CPU consumption, I think Vivaldi is one of the less performance, obviously if you have better hardware ... that would not happen.

• @agelykh
    thing is, it just appeared after an update. i updated win10 to the new creators update and simultaneously the new vivaldi version. so i dont know exactly what brought me the problems - but before the updateS i had no issues at all with vivaldi.

• @w00t said in Upgraded to 1.12.955.38 and it's really bad:

... it just appeared after an update. i updated win10 to the new creators update and simultaneously the new vivaldi version. so i dont know exactly what brought me the problems - but before the updateS i had no issues at all with vivaldi.

FWIW, one thing I discovered about software starting many years ago is that significant updates should always be done one at a time, with a simple performance check of all major software in between updates. It takes longer that way if there are several updates pending, but in the long run, it makes troubleshooting FAR easier when things go haywire.

That said, there have been problems reported elsewhere with the Creators Update causing problems for a variety of software already installed on a system. Sometimes, the cause has involved some problematic driver update included with Creators; in other cases, the apps software had to be reinstalled; in a very few cases, the user had to roll back the update to recover proper functionality. Of course, it's also possible the Vivaldi update malfunctioned somehow, but that's less likely unless it was trying to update concurrent with the Windows update reconfiguration processes.

My personal best-guess at this point is that the Creators update messed with your graphics driver, in which case you would either need to roll the driver version back or get a new one direct from the graphics maker... Microsoft has gotten a reputation for flaky updates to other makers' products.

• @blackbird
    i checked my vga drivers number, its up to date. nevertheless i re-installed both my vga driver and vivaldi. did not help at all unfortunately. also, i have no problems at all with chrome what really leaves me wondering.

• @w00t Are your drivers from Nvidia, by any chance?

• @criverajc I have enabled to recognize important flash content and run it

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.