Is there a way to make Fast Forward smarter?

• Some websites (probably a big percent of the ones I use) don't work with the fast forward feature. That's fine as I don't expect it to know how to do it on each individual website but is there a way I can edit a file to give it a pattern so that it can work on those websites as well?

For example, we can have a website like this:

https://wallpaperscraft.com/catalog/abstract/page48

Fast forward does not work, but it would be very simple to make it work as it's just incrementing the page number at the end.

@vuccappella said in Is there a way to make Fast Forward smarter?:

https://wallpaperscraft.com/catalog/abstract/page48

This webpage has no links indicating a next page or previous.
    The links on bottom do not have any logical indicator in HTML code or a link named Next.
    That is why Vivaldi cant guess where the next page link is.

but it would be very simple to make it work as it's just incrementing the page number at the end.

May be.
    If you think a feature is useful and missing in Vivaldi, please make a request.

How to make a feature request for Vivaldi
    If you think your problem can be solved by a missing feature, please add a request at https://forum.vivaldi.net/category/48/features-requests in the corresponding thread for your browser version.
    Add one line in bold as a short title for the feature and 2-3 lines to describe the wanted feature.

• @vuccappella That's an interesting idea. It could work similarly to uBlock Origin custom filters: you discriminate the sites by domain or page and identify the elements through classes and ids, just that in this case instead of hiding elements you'd be able to identify the pages numbers links, and the previous/next first/last if they exist.

You'd have a section in settings to review all your custom pagination ids.

Quick mock-up:

Quick navigation mock up

What do you think?

• Essentially if we are looking for a workaround that would be the case.

I can't see your mock-up as the image is not available.

Ideally, the algorithm with which the fast forward button works needs to be smarter and do this for you. So, currently I'm guessing it's working as @Gwen-Dragon mentioned... it's trying to find indications of a next page or a previous page in the HTML code but this wont work if a lazy web developer doesn't follow standards or in many other cases.

It also may happen for example if a website does have such indicators but the algorithm either isn't looking for that particular type or it doesn't understand them but they might be semantically correct and following web standards.

This poses a question if the algorithm should be correcting human errors like that and taking them in to account, for a user perspective it should but for other reasons they might not want that as it would teach bad habits etc.

In an ideal world this algorithm might try to take educated guesses if it sees that your url is changing and incrementing on the same webpage while nothing else changes as that would be the best sign to tell if you're simply changing pages (though of course that might cause other problems) .

For example, on this page, if i scroll down the replies, i get this:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/21238/is-there-a-way-to-make-fast-forward-smarter/1
    https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/21238/is-there-a-way-to-make-fast-forward-smarter/2
    etc.

So it's just adding numbers, I'm not even changing pages, just changing replies.. so this would be a case that it will need to avoid.

For now though, I think that's too much to ask and maybe a feature that is not really important and wont be really used by a lot of people anyway so asking for this doesn't seem right.

What I'd be asking for is setting manual filters so that this function executes on these pages under certain conditions.

If domain name == and has pageXX then when you press space at the end of the page or the forward button take me to XXX/pageXX+1

Etc, a very simple filter I could setup for a couple of websites. I was wondering if there would be a config file for this function that I could try to edit but I'm guessing that's not the case which is fine.

• @vuccappella I'm sure the quick navigation is more complex than something that can be controlled through a hidden config file at the moment. You can take a look at https://vivaldi.com/source/ if you're feeling adventurous.

If you think the functionality you're asking for is indispensable you can reformat it in a conciser way to turn it in a feature request.

Essentially if we are looking for a workaround that would be the case.

I can't see your mock-up as the image is not available.

There must be a block on imgur on your end.

I believe this quick navigation feature should not try to correct human errors, it should contemplate the most common pagination nav structures and offer a way for the user manually workaround the cases a site doesn't follow them. There are unlimited ways a site can be badly coded and you can't foresee them all. You'd risk running into containers that aren't pagination but look like a badly written pagination bit.

If there are no sane rules guiding the algorithm how will it tell a list of links from a pagination nav? What if there are multiple list of links with the same structure, which one is the pagination? What if the site also doesn't update the address bar with the page number? So many ways to badly code a site.

Such false positives could make the quick navigation unusable, accidentally navigating to the wrong link is a bigger nuisance than have the tool not picking the pagination on a couple of (badly formatted) sites only. The suggestion I made controlled specified the pagination menu through css identifiers and domains, as it drastically lowers the chances of false positives.

• @nihal Yes, I agree with you. Of course it's not that simple at all and it won't be such a great feature that many people use, so I won't submit it. I was more pointing in the direction that it should learn itself where to navigate and where not to but that would be very complex and would probably just hog the browser. However in the future they might want to look in to improving it. The easiest way would be to simply allow us to have some control over it so that we can define its own course.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.