How can I import my old bookmarks?

• I've got a page of bookmarks, over a 1000 of them from a browser called avant. I exported them to an html file but when I import through Vivaldi I get only 3. It's not cos they are in folders because there are dozens not in folders yet they can't be imported.
    So I extracted the URL's into a text file and tried to import that but there's no facility for doing that.
    They're just links, there must be a way to import them, can anyone help?

• You can't just create a text file with links, it needs to be a html file with proper code.

Maybe the html file Avant creates is different than the one Vivaldi uses. It might be worth checkin out the header of both files and comparing them. You can easily acquire a Vivaldi html file by just bookmarking some pages and exporting to html.

@garyf Sounds as though your Avant export did not create a valid HTML file.

But are you sure you only got 3? Did you check the Trash in Vivaldi after the import? Some things get sent there sometimes for some reason.

Alternatively, another browser such as firefox might be able to import the HTML file and read it, even if incorrectly parsed, and then export the resulting bookmarks.

• @luetage said in How can I import my old bookmarks?:

You can't just create a text file with links, it needs to be a html file with proper code.

Maybe the html file Avant creates is different than the one Vivaldi uses. It might be worth checkin out the header of both files and comparing them. You can easily acquire a Vivaldi html file by just bookmarking some pages and exporting to html.

Excellent idea. I exported bookmarks from vivaldi, then copied the relevant bits from the avant file into the vivaladi file. Imported that back and got 3 bookmarks lol
    I don't know how something so simple can go wrong

• @ayespy said in How can I import my old bookmarks?:

@garyf Sounds as though your Avant export did not create a valid HTML file.

But are you sure you only got 3? Did you check the Trash in Vivaldi after the import? Some things get sent there sometimes for some reason.

Alternatively, another browser such as firefox might be able to import the HTML file and read it, even if incorrectly parsed, and then export the resulting bookmarks.

Spot on. For whatever reason Firefox imported the Avant folder properly and exported them properly so I was able to import to Vivaldi. Many thanks. :)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.