Opera Unite - New Feature Request in Vivaldi

• I remember that the Opera Browser had [b]OPERA UNITE[/b] "killer feature" which allowed super easy file sharing. Sure hope Vivaldi developers can make [b]"Vivaldi Unite"[/b] a much needed solution for simple file shares, etc. :whistle: For people with short memory here is a review of Opera Unite before it was terminated. Opera Unite : A web server in your browser [b]http://www.codediesel.com/browser/opera-unite-a-web-server-in-your-browser/[/b] Thanks Rocky

• Man, Opera Unite was cool. I could never find a concrete use for it but that didn't make it any less cool.

• Yes I would really love to have this feature back as well!

I think file sharing and web server were THE features of Opera for me back then. I would always access my files and storage at home if I need them while I'm out of the house. A very neat feature that I hope would come back. :)

The collaboration Unite apps were a big deal to me back then too.

• Well, I'm not very happy with saying that sending files to someone's cloud, where we are not sure how files on that cloud is protected, BUT I don't mean that this feature is useless for browser. I'm generally not happy with that many companies offers secure and protected cloud for everyone, but meanwhile we can't be sure how the files on that cloud is protected by them.

• Vivaldi Translator

I'm not sure why another cloud should be there.

In my opinion Vivaldi should cooperate with some cloud services. I think that some cloud services would be happy to see theirs clouds in Vivaldi and even pay for it (onedrive, crypted MEGA or whatever).
    Also other clouds could/should be used when speaking about some calendar or whatever. No need to develop something what's here and working. Just adapt it (with a permission, of course)

• @Piter432:

Well, I'm not very happy with saying that sending files to someone's cloud, where we are not sure how files on that cloud is protected, BUT I don't mean that this feature is useless for browser. I'm generally not happy with that many companies offers secure and protected cloud for everyone, but meanwhile we can't be sure how the files on that cloud is protected by them.

Opera Unite wasn't cloud storage, though - all your files were still stored locally. What Opera Unite did was enable you to effectively turn your computer into cloud storage by making it easier for the user to expose it to the internet.

Maybe not building it into the browser directly, but if Vivaldi ever pursued this as another app, I would be down with it.

• @terzaerian:

@Piter432:

Well, I'm not very happy with saying that sending files to someone's cloud, where we are not sure how files on that cloud is protected, BUT I don't mean that this feature is useless for browser. I'm generally not happy with that many companies offers secure and protected cloud for everyone, but meanwhile we can't be sure how the files on that cloud is protected by them.

Opera Unite wasn't cloud storage, though - all your files were still stored locally. What Opera Unite did was enable you to effectively turn your computer into cloud storage by making it easier for the user to expose it to the internet.

Maybe not building it into the browser directly, but if Vivaldi ever pursued this as another app, I would be down with it.

This is exactly it. But I believe our files still goes through Opera servers, did they not?

I don't think so. I think every machine received a unique address, and all Opera did was route the traffic - not actually receive it and pass it on.

• Oh I see.

Thanks! :)

I just read up on this. Unite was designed to set up NAT routing on each machine. If it was unable to (could not set port forwarding or whatever) then, as a fallback, Opera's proxy servers would receive and forward the content using the already-open web connections of the browser. So the idea was a sort of peer-to-peer but, failing that, Opera stood in as a proxy.

• Unite was a brilliant idea, failed by almost zero promotion and development after it was deployed… :(

The ability to just flick an option and have your PC open up an FTP server with a web interface (so you could send your grandma a link and even she could see your wedding pictures before uploading the ones she took of you...) - and all that without installing any software or sending your data to any shady third party services - was really, REALLY unique!

It's just a shame that only a handful of (what would now be called) extensions or apps were ever created for it and that even some of those were broken after a couple of updates to Opera. Unfortunately it was a bit too far ahead of its time, and as I said it never got the recognition it needed to create some momentum among the users.

Yeah - the coming thing now, is the "private cloud." Uhmmmm, Unite, anyone?

• @Ayespy:

"private cloud."

An oxymoron if ever there was one!

• Yes it was cool but not very useful. And It wasn't working smooth and easy.
    I don't think Vivaldi Unite is really a needed request, But maybe new ideas can be born from it.

• The cloud is fine actually. But it still doesn't hurt to use your own PC as a "cloud service" which where Unite comes in. Not all people can afford large cloud storage services. So having Unite can be very handy for users with a tight budget including me. And at least you don't have to upload stuff on the cloud just so you can take your files any where especially for those who have limited bandwidth to begin with.

• @terzaerian:

@Piter432:

Well, Opera Unite was completely disabled in Opera 12 and the servers has been shutdown, so I didn't use earlier Opera versions, where Unite was integrated. Thanks for more information :)

• I will just use my necromancer skills to revive this thread, there are enough multi-postings on this board already :)

Basically I just wanted to add a big

+1

to this request. Opera Unite was, while not perfect (or transparent), a great way for quickly sharing files with people without going through too much trouble, especially on the receiving end. Family videos, for example, that were too large for a mail attachement could be shared in an uncomplicated, direct and (depending on upload speed) quick way.

Ideally "Vivaldi Unite" would have a Textsecure-like end-to-end encryption, but even without it would be a nice way for sharing non-critical data with friends and family (who are not always tech-savvy).

• I was also a fan of Opera Unite and promoted its use on forums and my Opera review page.

Since it's demise I have recommended Wikisend, but apparently there are problems with that now. I don't have a problem with downloading files from trusted users, but most users would.

Unite offered simple peer to peer transfer. If someone sends you a dodgy file, you know who to blame.

If you're curious about the meaning of "Alternative Revenue Streams" this was a joke on the Opera blogs about developers removing features to make users scream for them to be re-instated, then Haavard would pay the developers to re-instate them.

• Vivaldi Translator

First I will say that I suspect that Opera shut Unite because of the risk of copyrights abuse, and they could not be bothered with policing the users.
    Rather than get into arguments with users about fair-usage etc. it was better to just close it.

So-called "cloud storage" and "cloud-services" are B.S.
    The very phase "cloud-anything" makes me angry. True cloud-computing should have no boundaries, and all of your data on any service or PC, available together.
    As far as I am concerned, Opera Unite was true cloud storage before the word "cloud" started to be misused.
    It turned any PC into your own unlimited online storage, for free and with no adverts.

Usually when I go on a job, I have to take an external drive, and / or some USB flash drives, loaded with every tool I may need.
    Opera Unite meant I did not have to risk losing or breaking my HD.
    It meant I did not waste time picking and choosing what software I may need.
    I did not have to waste time or bandwidth uploading anything I don't use. It meant I did not waste time and space by duplicating over 200GB
    The modern and marketed idea of cloud-storage, is just another separate, dedicated online store (like the web-space you get with internet accounts)
    Nothing more, nothing less. Just with a fancy bloated GUI.

In my opinion FTP is better in most ways than any of these modern cloud-stores (once simply referred to as upload or download sites).
    FTP lets you manage multiple files or folders with ease.
    Hosting my own folder structure with Unite, gave me the speed and simplicity of grabbing my stuff from an FTP server.

I also used to spend a lot of time DJ'ing in a local gamer bar.
    Rather than transport all my music, or pre-choose what I would be playing, I would simply use the media streamer Unite app to provide access and playlists, and simply stream the music in Winamp, where I would mix sources from other sites and local files.

That is what I call cloud-computing, and the key factor is that when done properly it reduces overall bandwidth use and storage requirements, not the other way round.
    Unite, made sure that you were in charge of your own files at all times.
    My friends even used to use it to share files between different PCs at home, as it was more reliable than windows folder shares.

Finally.
    For anyone with a dynamic IP, Unite was a true blessing.
    Losing it was like the inventor of the wheel saying "sorry but I've changed my mind, and you have to go back to using logs and ropes".

• Unite was basically a easy to use self-hosted FTP with Opera severs used to redirect people to your IP from your account name.
    It was certainly a excellent solution for easy file sharing, but still required a outside servery ultimately.
    Ideally it would be nice to find a true P2P solution, even if it is slower overall.

On a related note, theres still a related hole in the "need" market for a selectively-sharable federated data standard.
    The WaveFederationProtocol was the only thing that attempted this - and it was realtime as well which was nice.
    Sadly after Google abandoned it infavour of Google Plus, it hasnt got very far at Apache. (not enough active coders working on it frankly - that and they badly need to separate out the client and sever so people can develop them separately).

A WFP or WFP-like standard would solve a lot of issues if one could get going. Sadly very few people seem to work on federated solutions. :(
    (You can probably tell by the fact email isn't replaced yet - a standard so old it still requires everyone to do a new line every 70 characters.)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.